Josh Bullocks (1 Viewer)

If we drafted Phillips or signed a decent safety in free agency there would still be big plays given up. The scheme of defense we have is one that is a risk taker it puts corners and safeties in positions to make plays and force turnovers. It has the potential to make big plays through turnovers and give up big plays through long pass completions.

I like the aggressive defensive scheme but without a pass rush it just looks horrible, and when we blitz it looks even worse. I can accept giving up a few big plays if they can even it out by making big plays and forcing turnovers. A solid pass rush would change everything for the Saints defense.

Every team gives up big plays but consistently giving them up is what the Saints do. The scheme needs to be changed some but if the player can't do it and you have one that is sitting on the sideline can then you make the move. Bullocks hasn't shown that he can bring the "big play" with turnovers but he has shown he consistently is late in support.

He showed this year that he need to be demoted yet he wasn't. There is a reason why KK was brought in to the fold in the first place.

Yes, for depth. If that wasn't abundantly clear to you this season, go get your eyes checked.

Ever heard of "play recognition"? This is the players ability to recognize wether an offense is running the ball or throwing it. Film study and helps unmask tendencies. Good coaching and smart players understand that xx% of the time, this team does this in this formation on this down and distance. Dilegant study helps to determine from what formations and personel groupings and situations that teams run play action and other types of plays that clouds the recognition. Some schemes funnel WR's either toward the sideline or towards the middle of the field, depending on what the offense is trying to do, how the defense is lined up and where the stregnth and weaknesses are. All this goes into the mental aspect of the game. I have seen countless plays the past two years where the wr performed a double move on a CB and both safeties were playing "safety" on the opposite side of the field. There were many plays where Bullocks specifically went to cover someone who was getting picked up by the safety on the other side of the field, in turn letting the wr on an island with the cb get deep with no safety help- so we wound up with 3 on 1 wr and man to man on the one that scores. I have also seen many, many bad angles that resulted in piss poor attempts at tackling as well as flat out missing the man. I have also seen bodies being thrown at the offensive player without using something called the arms to wrap up the person. Bullocks has not played anywhere near fundamentally sound. He has been in the year a few years, and if you can't even play proper fundamentally, or simply put, play the foundational techniques of defense for your position after starting for 2 years, when will he be able to? I see no merit in keeping Bullocks. If he can't learn hands on, how do you think he will learn on the sideline. Get rid of him and we are better. keeping him in a roster spot can only keep someone else with potential who hasn't proved unfruitfal from competing.

Yes, for depth. If that wasn't abundantly clear to you this season, go get your eyes checked.

You're right Webmeistro, depth, it was abundantly clear that it was for depth. (sarcasm) Especially for the contract he signed on a four-year, $10 million contract. The deal included a $3.25 million signing bonus. I bet every player wish they could get that much to play back up and provide "depth."

" Kaesviharn was signed early in the free agency period to bring a proven performer and leadership to a youthful secondary." -courtesy of the home site.

Maybe I am from the ilk in getting what you pay for. The team is paying him like a starting safety and when he played he showed he was worth his money. Bullocks has been one of the main problems in the secondary the last two years, moreso this year and KK should have been playing over him. That is what DEPTH is for. If someone is hurt or not getting the job done then you make a change.

You must be one of those cats who staunchly defends Bush too.

Last edited:
I think he could be, but something has caused him to regress terribly.
Also at times you can see players gesturing to the sideline because they don't have the coverage.
I've seen McKenzie's arms outstretched in bewilderment too many times in the last two years.
That could be a very important piece of what is wrong, not just with Bullocks, but David's peeking, and of course the rest of the secondary.

Example:
If you aren't sure you are in the right coverage, there's that tendency to double-check by peeking at the offensive backfield.

Secondary coaches, maybe?

This still doesn't solve the problem of allowing a receiver behind you, unless someone can show me there is no free safety position on the roster.
I'd have to put that on him. :(

Regardless of who should be covering who and who peeled off to cover the wrong receiver (something only the coaches know for sure), my lasting impression of Bullocks will be the touchdown pass to Hester in the Chicago game.. look for the defender who turns 180 degrees while running and then stumbles over his own feet right before Hester catches the ball. You don't even have to check the jersey # to know it's Bullocks. I think KK is a lock at free safety tho'.. Harper has better strong safety skills.

He looks like he panics when defending those long pass plays, relax and knock the ball down like your paid to do. Other times he just gets so bad out of positon. Your the safety, nobody is suppose to get behind you!!!!

I am not an expert by any means, but I think that Bullocks has to take most of the blame for our pass defese woes. When KK was in, I for one heard ALOT less about Jason David than I had in the past. It always seems as though he is late coming in on coverage, and he bites on the play action hard. I would just like to see if someone else would improve our coverage. Even if it is KK, lets give him a shot.

Does anyone think this guy has potential or is he just horrible? With the defence playing horribly overall could the problem be Gibbs? Or could it be JD? I am not going to be too upset if Bullocks is the starter next year, he is young and may be able to get better, though I will not be terribly happy about it either. I hope he can improve next year and cover WRs (even just scrub ones, please).

So what do you guys and gals think would be the correct decision with Bullocks?

Put me in the camp that thinks he's horrible. He has no ball awareness whatsoever. He constantly bit on play action fakes and was out of position on almost every play. He's in what, his fourth year, and he still can't play. I say cut him loose and look for an improvement either via draft or FA or both.

Let him go ... Two plays come to mind.. On a third down agianst Carolina the first game Bullocks comes up to make the tackle on Steve S. he engages Steve three yards from the first down marker and Steve drags/ runs over Bullocks for the the first down,

Onisde kick plays against Rams .. how does Bullocks end up on the hands team?

Let him go ... Two plays come to mind.. On a third down agianst Carolina the first game Bullocks comes up to make the tackle on Steve S. he engages Steve three yards from the first down marker and Steve drags/ runs over Bullocks for the the first down,

Onisde kick plays against Rams .. how does Bullocks end up on the hands team?

Heck not only once on the onside kick, but TWICE!!! Had a great shot at the ball two times and couldn't get it.

Regardless of who should be covering who and who peeled off to cover the wrong receiver (something only the coaches know for sure), my lasting impression of Bullocks will be the touchdown pass to Hester in the Chicago game.. look for the defender who turns 180 degrees while running and then stumbles over his own feet right before Hester catches the ball. You don't even have to check the jersey # to know it's Bullocks. I think KK is a lock at free safety tho'.. Harper has better strong safety skills.

actually that was craft who felll on the hester play

I think we should hold off and draft Chad Jones when he comes out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom