Josh Bullocks (1 Viewer)

Slim K

Suggestions?
Reaction score
Does anyone think this guy has potential or is he just horrible? With the defence playing horribly overall could the problem be Gibbs? Or could it be JD? I am not going to be too upset if Bullocks is the starter next year, he is young and may be able to get better, though I will not be terribly happy about it either. I hope he can improve next year and cover WRs (even just scrub ones, please).

So what do you guys and gals think would be the correct decision with Bullocks?

when he was at Nebr he was a ball- hawk, now he is struggling. Whatever happens, I sure hope the whole defense is reshaped, God knows it can't get any worse.

I say let him stay and fight for the position with KK..for the second string spot!! Because we'll draft Kenny Phillips and he will end our FS sorrows!!!

I like Bullocks and think he has the physical tools to be a solid FS in the NFL. I don't know if he is mentally capable or if Gibb's scheme just sucks. I'm kind of leaning towards the scheme sucking because it has totally destroyed our pass rush and our LB's are usually non-existant.

He was a damn good player his rookie year. Then last year he had a sophomore slump. Then this year he was just plain horrible.

Anyone remember Tesucky Jones? I don't care about the pysical skills if you can't put it all together mentally. He may one day be a good player, I just hope he learns how with another team. Two years in a row he has played out of position and looked clueless. He is one of the biggest reasons Thomas and David look so horrible (aside from the fact that they can not play man coverage vs a #1 or 2 WR). Giving Bullocks another chance is like giving Aaron Brooks another chance. I take that back-- at least Aaron Brooks occasionally had great games. Even when we don't get beat deep, Bullocks plays out of position and for whatever reason (maybe occasional pressure from the front 7) the opposing qb isnt able to take advantage of it. Bottom line he his too much of a liability. I would hate to break the bank and bring in someone worth a damn at CB who does his job but winds up giving up big scores because Bullocks doesn't understand the term safety and doesn't watch enough film and anticipate play action.

bullocks' play could be linked directly as to why we're watching the playoffs from the sidelines. Anyone remember the two back to back on-side kicks that hit him in the hands? If he had decent ball skills that would not have happened.

Bullocks is a good FS, he has the physical skills and a history of making plays, but that's why you keep him on the roster, he is struggling right now, you don't jeopardize W's for player development, if he isn't doing it, you get somebody who can, I think that's why we signed KK, I blame the Coaching Staff for not making a switch when it became apparent he was struggling with pass coverage, if anything we would know going into the offseason if we needed an upgrade at the FS position, but we really haven't seen what KK could do.

And picking #10 in this draft, I think even if Safety was a need position, using a top 10 pick on one wouldn't be a good investment, gotta go with DT or LB, we been ignoring the linebacker position for TO MANY years!!

How on earth is Bullocks a good FS? I can't count the times I hear and have seen Bullocks late on pass coverage. He hasn't done diddly by way of "making plays."

Just because someone has the tools doesn't make him a good FS. Tebucky Jones and a bevy of other players have the physical skills to play in the league but that doesn't make a Football player. KK lacks in certain areas of the physical skills department but he makes up for it with his brain.

KK showed almost as much in three games that Bullocks did all year. He showed enough to stay on the field and yet Bullocks with all his "physical skills" stayed on the field and stunk up the secondary even worse.

If this Phillips cat can play anywhere near the Ed Reed or Sean Taylor type defense then the Saints for once would have a gem on the defense and he should be drafted. A playmaker on defense is something we have lacked since the Dome Patrol Years. Just watching the play of good safety's in the league can show you how much a good safety adds to a defense. (Landry, etc) Bullocks is not a good safety.

when he was at Nebr he was a ball- hawk, now he is struggling. Whatever happens, I sure hope the whole defense is reshaped, God knows it can't get any worse.

He plays well against the run but he has been atrocious against the pass.

He is late bringing help over the top and in cases where does get into good coverage he has shown very poor ball skills and awareness. He mis-times jumps, whiffs on interceptions, etc. etc.

I feel like his deficiencies against the pass hurt the team much more than his play against the run helps. I'm happy to let him compete one more time, but have no patience for any more slip ups. If he is still struggling against the pass into next season he should be demoted to 2nd team and on his way out.

He showed this year that he need to be demoted yet he wasn't. There is a reason why KK was brought in to the fold in the first place. Maybe my patience is just worn thin on watching the same old garbage in the secondary especially when 90% of the home run plays in the secondary had Bullocks late in getting over to coverage because he bit on the run fake or was slow to recognize pass.

Your comments Blackadder about his pass coverage skills hurting more than his run support skills help is spot on.

Last edited:
Terrible ball skills, but great at knocking his own guy away from making a play. Every pick he had Nebraska must have been throw right to him.

If we drafted Phillips or signed a decent safety in free agency there would still be big plays given up. The scheme of defense we have is one that is a risk taker it puts corners and safeties in positions to make plays and force turnovers. It has the potential to make big plays through turnovers and give up big plays through long pass completions.

I like the aggressive defensive scheme but without a pass rush it just looks horrible, and when we blitz it looks even worse. I can accept giving up a few big plays if they can even it out by making big plays and forcing turnovers. A solid pass rush would change everything for the Saints defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom