Josh Bullocks (1 Viewer)

Deuuuuce

So much 4 being rusty
Reaction score
I have to say I had pretty high hopes for this guy coming in to the season. He performed fairly well as a rookie last year and he showed a lot of speed and good instincts. I thought he was going to turn out to be the ball hawk this team desperately needed in the secondary.

He has played well enough to stay on the field this season, but his lack of playmaking skills has really disapointed me. He isn't tackling, he is letting guys get behind him, he gets him self out of possition, and he has just 1 interception in the first game. Not exactly the ball hawking safety I think this team needs. I like Roman Harper, but I dont see him as a ball hawk type either. Should we look at replacing Bullocks after this season or should we give him more time?

It's pretty obvious to me that our secondary needs someone who can anticipate throws and pick them off. I havent checked, but Im pretty sure we are last in INTs this season. Our inability to force turnovers is going to hurt us somewhere down the line unless we solve the problem.

Last edited:
i agree on his pass coverage but he is making tackles, which maybe why he is getting hurt in pass defense.

id like to see him and harper work together next year, overall the secondary isnt getting any ints, in fact i think JB has the only one, Fujita has the most, Simineau has 1 - thats all i can recall

It's his second season as our starting FS. Don't you think it's a little early to be so down on the guy?

McKenzie got a pick on Rothlisberger, but in the end zone on a clock running out to halftime-hailmary. So i don't know if you count that or not...

It's his second season as our starting FS. Don't you think it's a little early to be so down on the guy?

Maybe, but I really can't say I've seen enough from him this season to pencil him in as the long-term solution. He just doesn't make plays. and a lot of the big plays against us have been on his side. We need to improve our defense because good offenses move the ball on us at will.

Payton doesn't strike me as a patient guy, and I wouldn't be surpised if we replaced him in the offseason.

i agree on his pass coverage but he is making tackles, which maybe why he is getting hurt in pass defense.

id like to see him and harper work together next year, overall the secondary isnt getting any ints, in fact i think JB has the only one, Fujita has the most, Simineau has 1 - thats all i can recall

Stoutmire has the only other INT for the secondary.

Maybe, but I really can't say I've seen enough from him this season to pencil him in as the long-term solution. He just doesn't make plays. and a lot of the big plays against us have been on his side of the field. We need to improve our defense because good offenses move the ball at will on us.

Payton doesn't strike me as a patient guy. I can see us replacing him this off season.

If that's the case then we should get rid of our entire secondary. There is no way we get rid of a 2nd year player with his skills. What do you do? Draft another safety and start all over?? Let's not to mention this is his first year under a new defensive scheme.

McKenzie got a pick on Rothlisberger, but in the end zone on a clock running out to halftime-hailmary. So i don't know if you count that or not...

This I definitely don't recall. I know that Fujita got one in this fashion, but not against Pitt.

Edit: Fujita's was against Philly.
1-10-PHI40 :)01) (Shotgun) D.McNabb pass deep right intended for H.Baskett INTERCEPTED by S.Fujita at NO 6. S.Fujita to NO 6 for no gain (H.Baskett).

And here's the last play of the half against Pitt. I don't remember the actual play, though, so maybe he picked it but was out of bounds or something?
1-10-NO45 :)01) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right to N.Washington. Coverage by #34 McKenzie

Last edited:
I say trade Bullocks for a starting CB and draft LaRon Landry!! But I'm an LSU homer so take it for what it's worth

If that's the case then we should get rid of our entire secondary. There is no way we get rid of a 2nd year player with his skills. What do you do? Draft another safety and start all over?? Let's not to mention this is his first year under a new defensive scheme.

I'm not saying that we should get rid of him, but maybe we could sign a vet who could actually get himself in possition to make plays. Bullocks to me is like the Sedrick Hodge of our secondary. Fast, but has no idea.

He is still young, yes, but we have got to do something about our secondary. I like Mckenzie and Harper....The other side of the field needs work IMO.

Bullocks, Stoutmire and Simoneau all have 1 INT.
Fujita has 2.

Don't underestimate the impact of Harper's abscense on Bullocks' play. I think Harper made complimented Bullocks and those guys worked together really nicely. Harper, even though a rookie, made all the secondary calls and helped Bullocks out. There was an article during trianing camp where Payton actually compared him to having a coach on the field. When Harper went down, we lost that. Stoutmire usually found himself out of place. There have been several deep passes where cornerbacks look like they were expecting help deep only to have the safety up playing the run. I think with Bellamy back there making the secondary calls, you may see some improved play from Bullocks. Either way, we shall see.

I'm not saying that we should get rid of him, but maybe we could sign a vet who could actually get himself in possition to make plays. Bullocks to me is like the Sedrick Hodge of our secondary. Fast, but has no idea.

He is still young, yes, but we have got to do something about our secondary. I like Mckenzie and Harper....The other side of the field needs work IMO.

We don't need to invest money in an expensive veteran. Shore up the DL and our secondary will be just fine. Look what happens when our DL gets pressure......for ex. Atl game.

Don't underestimate the impact of Harper's abscense on Bullocks' play. I think Harper made complimented Bullocks and those guys worked together really nicely. Harper, even though a rookie, made all the secondary calls and helped Bullocks out. There was an article during trianing camp where Payton actually compared him to having a coach on the field. When Harper went down, we lost that. Stoutmire usually found himself out of place. There have been several deep passes where cornerbacks look like they were expecting help deep only to have the safety up playing the run. I think with Bellamy back there making the secondary calls, you may see some improved play from Bullocks. Either way, we shall see.

I was thinking the same thing. We didn't see Bullocks getting burned deep before Harper went down. I think he may be trying to over-compensate for his fellow safety, who he was comfortable with, going down and he's trying too hard to make plays. If he lets the game come to him I think we would see a dramatic improvement in his play.

That's correct. He showed a lot of talent and promise his rookie season, and he's shown considerable regression this season. Is it the scheme? Honestly I don't know. But as a fan I can't really dismiss it may just also be called "being a second year player". It's not that uncommon for players to take steps back. It's refered to as the "sophomore slump".

I'm not opposed to going out and getting a mid-level veteran (like Stoutmire was for the SS spot) or maybe drafting another safety deeper in the draft (4th round or so), but I don't think we need to specifically replace Bullocks unless the coaches make the judgement that his regression is because he doesn't fit the scheme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom