Josh Bullocks... (1 Viewer)

nolastyle

The Future Has Arrived
Reaction score
Why is the majority of the forum ready to dump this guy? Granted, he is far from elite, but he isn't close to the worst safety in the league either. Not even close to it. Gary Gibbs said Bullocks played better this past year than in 2006. Statistically, he had the best year of his career, and because he is young, we can expect him to continue to improve. Could an upgrade be had? Of course. Is it a top 3 need on the team? Absolutely not.

I've read a counterpoint the coaches only speak highly of him because they don't want to throw players under the proverbial bus. That is true and a decent point. HOWEVER, don't actions speak louder than words? It's one thing to talk highly of JB, but another to continue to start him.

The Youtube video is bad, yes, but come on. If that sways your opinion either way, then :covri:. Drew Brees could be made to look like Ryan Leaf if someone made a video of his lowlights. The video didn't show his game clinching INT against the Browns in the '06 opener, the sealing INT against Seattle last year, his great game against the Falcons in the dome last year when he got the game ball, his rundown and strip of McNabb against the Eagles, etc.

Roman Harper IMO was obviously outplayed by Bullocks in a lot of games, probably more than half last year, yet he continues to get the benefit of the doubt while JB doesn't. Why can't we get behind both safeties?

It might be just me, but JB is a member of this team and I'll continue to support him until he is gone. This thread might not be "cool" because JB is Public Enemy #2 right now behind Jason David, but let's slow down on the Bullocks bashing for a while.:9:

I think the only reason our S's and CB's looked like **** because we had no pass rush. Like many of us have said, When QB's like Matt Moore tear your D apart it usually isn't because of the secondary. If he has time to take a piss, drink a beer, then throw the ball, it is because of the Pass Rush
Summerized into 6 words and an equal sign

NO Pass Rush = Burnt CB's and S's

I just re-watched the Eagles playoff game and Bullocks singlehandedly dropped at least 3 ints that game. Made some plays too, to be fair.

Not hating on the guy, and I agree with the OP that S isn't high up on the priority list, but good Lord. Bullocks couldn't tackle my mom. Straight up bounces off of the ball carrier. He comes flying up like he's gonna lay wood on somebody and ends up face down in the turf. Worthless in run support, and bites playfakes like they were lunchables.

He's still young, I'll give him that, but he really needs bring it this season. Pass rush be damned, Bullocks stranded many a CB with his play action mistakes.

Note to JB; wrap up, and cover your half. Thanks.

He dropped INTs in fact two in one series, but atleast he was in position to make plays...He was in position mainly because we pressured Garcia and forced him into some poor decisions. If our front four plays the way they're capable of, you won't have to complain about, Bullocks, David, etc. as much

Roman Harper IMO was obviously outplayed by Bullocks in a lot of games, probably more than half last year, yet he continues to get the benefit of the doubt while JB doesn't. Why can't we get behind both safeties?

It might be just me, but JB is a member of this team and I'll continue to support him until he is gone. This thread might not be "cool" because JB is Public Enemy #2 right now behind Jason David, but let's slow down on the Bullocks bashing for a while.:9:

agree here on both parts. to be honest i was very harsh with bullocks AND i never understand the benching of harper at this moment , but coaches said he always did his assignements and i for myself saw him making sound-tackles on receivers and RBs .... maybe he isnt the ballhawk , but atleast he is a hard hitter playing behind not-so-good CBs since he is a saint.
the best solution i thought about , was to find a guy ( draft ) who could possibly replace both safety sides ( i know , some guys said we havent a free and strong system , but since they NEVER switch sides or among each other ,it doesnt matter if you call it strong/free Left/right Samson/Oscar ) and providing a good 4 player competition with the best two starting.

Right Now i think . Bullocks is Solid with Huge Upside , while Harper is below average with litte upside ....

so i have no problem keeping him and giving harper another year , too ( he is a good guy and coaches said he is smart , so i hope he understands his assignements )

. Bullocks couldn't tackle my mom. Straight up bounces off of the ball carrier. He comes flying up like he's gonna lay wood on somebody and ends up face down in the turf. Worthless in run support, .

again , simply not true .... all these parts you can put on harper , where bullocks seems to have bad hands for a NFL Playmaking safety ( in college he was balhawk-ish) , i give you that , he surprised me in a positive way in midseason , making sound-tackles on WRs beating the Corner or coming across , or RBs passing our LBs and paying for it . Harper often missed tackles, ( strange , because this were his strength coming out of Alabama ) was completely underwhelming in coverage , and lost singlehandly at least one game where he missed the ballcarrier two times and he made the first down.... to be honest : without passrush all 3 spots besides mckenzie are interchangeable

I just re-watched the Eagles playoff game and Bullocks singlehandedly dropped at least 3 ints that game. Made some plays too, to be fair.

Not hating on the guy, and I agree with the OP that S isn't high up on the priority list, but good Lord. Bullocks couldn't tackle my mom. Straight up bounces off of the ball carrier. He comes flying up like he's gonna lay wood on somebody and ends up face down in the turf. Worthless in run support, and bites playfakes like they were lunchables.

He's still young, I'll give him that, but he really needs bring it this season. Pass rush be damned, Bullocks stranded many a CB with his play action mistakes.

Note to JB; wrap up, and cover your half. Thanks.

I highly disagree. Bullocks is a very good tackler. In fact, I have been saying that he should be moved to SS because of his tackling ability. His problem at FS is that he doesn't get into position like he should. He looks lost back there. There are many instances where he is supposed to be helping out the CB's but he is not in position to do that and we give up long TD's.

I just re-watched the Eagles playoff game and Bullocks singlehandedly dropped at least 3 ints that game.

Getting your hands on the ball as a safety is not a bad thing. Sure, we would like him to catch them but he's still breaking up passes.

Bottom line, we have two young safetys we ARE building on and you gotta take the good with the bad...will be saying the same thing next year about whatever rookie corner we get, cause you best believe he is gonna have his share of dissapointing plays...Harper had a good year coming off that ACL injury, 4 sacks, 3 picks, 1 returned for a TD, good in the box, but he gave up plays to....plays are gonna be made on us, you kinda gotta realize that, players are gonna be out of position at times, to many people on here are looking for perfection, there not coaches but they think they know what a perfect safety should play like, they know every defensive and offensive play called and they know how or what the safety should of done to prevent the reception or td...the funny thing is, there are probably those same people on the Ravens board picking apart Ed Reeds game

He is consistently late to react to the plays and is beaten over the top as a result. He does not live up to the position of "safety" as he is beaten often.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom