Josh Dobbs..... (1 Viewer)

It's a no for me. A lot of those comebacks were defensive collapses as much as anything, and he's consistently Quarterbacked a team with high expectations while he's been there only to not fulfill them. Pretty much since he's been there he's supposed to have been the guy to beat Florida, only just pulled it off this year despite the Gators offense being exceptionally bad since Tebow left (minus the start of last year with Grier, and even then they weren't great by any means, just better than what they have been). They then lay eggs later in the season to inferior teams than Florida and themselves for that matter (Vanderbilt, USCe). How they didn't win the East in what was a down year for both Florida and Georgia, that also had USCe reverting to pre-spurrier form is beyond me.

In short, I think UT got lucky and caught some ill-disciplined young players from various schools sleeping in the second half to squeeze out wins they had no business winning. Sure some of that good is down to Dobbs, and he might well be a good pro but from what I've seen, I'm not buying it.

How can you be "wildly inaccurate" when completing 63% of your passes, while playing a brutal schedule?

Like I said, aside from the handful of games at the end of the season, Dobbs has always had issues making the throws when they counted. By that I mean, when opposing teams shut down the run and forced him to pass, he was unable to beat them with it. Yes he is very athletic and a big guy, but if you can't make the throws when needed then you won't succeed in the NFL. If he declares for the draft he will be lucky to go higher than a 5th or 6th rounder. It's even possible he could go undrafted. If that happens he may just walk away from football. Personally I think Tennessee will be a better football team this year without him because of that one-sided attack.

We get it dude. You're a Tenn and Dobbs fan. That doesn't mean we all have to be or that we have to agree w your opinion of him. You're not doing a good job of selling him either, so just take it easy w trying to make people have your pov, and let time speak for itself. If he's as good as you think he is then he'll be starting somewhere in a few years.

Possible Brees heir apparent?

I have heard zero about him being a future QB, and I'm by no means a scout, I just know what my uneducated eyes tell me.

I've watched him now for 3 seasons......and he just looks so NFL ready.

The positives on Dobbs are as follows.

Very intelligent (aerospace engineer major), great size (6'3, 220), very instinctual in the pocket with movement, escapability and a quick burst makes him deadly on leak out runs on 3rd down, ultra-competitive, strong armed, tough as nails, improved his accuracy to a solid 63% in senior year, plays toe to toe with the toughest schools in the country....had Bama BEAT junior year until mysterious PI call (remember those) to bail out Bama on their game winning drive at the end of the 4th.....

He has tremendous quiet confident leadership qualities.

In a time when QBs are trending toward QBs that can throw and escape when needed (Rodgers, Russell, Dak), Josh fits that mold to a tee.

His college stats are very similar to Dak, as is his overall game.

Dak was the 7th QB chosen.......and has been the best and it isn't even close.

(Kind of like Mike Thomas being the 8th WR chosen).

He is "projected" as the 9th best, around round 5-6......with

I would love for him to be our 6th round choice.

I can almost guarantee CJ Bethard and Mitch Trubinsky will not be as successful as Dobbs in the NFL, despite being ranked much higher (kind of like Christian Hackenburg and Paxton Lynch picked way ahead of Dak).

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts of JD.

Dak's unexpected rise right out the gates is likely the reason for the Dobbs love. Dobbs might get a look-see from someone, but if he sticks with an aerospace career it won't be too high in the draft. And good for him either way, actually.

I would have to say no, I would rather a Brees-type QB.

Brees is an obsessive gym rat who teaches the WR's and O Line to play with finesse, and to think with 1 mind. He is the ultimate leader, and the ultimate system QB. He makes his coaches and teammates better.

I'm studying this crop of QB's for accuracy, smarts, pocket awareness, quick check down, and great judgment.

I think Brees, Teddy Bridgewater, and Trevor Siemian are examples of that type of QB.

We get it dude. You're a Tenn and Dobbs fan. That doesn't mean we all have to be or that we have to agree w your opinion of him. You're not doing a good job of selling him either, so just take it easy w trying to make people have your pov, and let time speak for itself. If he's as good as you think he is then he'll be starting somewhere in a few years.

It's cool.

But actually I'm a die hard Gator, not a Vol.

But I'm certainly not promoting Austin Appleby, or Luke Del Rio, or Treon Harris, or Jeff Driskel, or Will Grier....or any in the long line of quarterbacks from UF.

Actually, it's quite surprising, with as much success that we've had in the past 25 years, it astounding that the best UF QB (in the pros) over that time has been Rex Grossman.

The two best collegiate QBs, Wuerffel and Tebow, were not good in the NFL. And Chris leak, another title winner, didn't even warrant a shot.

But I do watch a lot of football, and I've always respected and loved Dobbs game. You are right, we'll wait and see.....though I do hope we take a flyer on him late if he's still around.

No way this guy is a pro QB. Maybe he can be converted to a TE or RB. Living in Tennessee, i can say for certain that he doesn't pass the eye test. Wildly inaccurate is an understatement for his passes even if the receivers are making great catches. Would be a disaster as a QB prospect.

I would spend a late round flyer pick on him, but only because we have needs in other places. If this were any other year, sure, a mid round pick on him.

I am no pro scout, or NFL coach, but someone who is thinks highly of Dobbs.
Kippy Brown has seen his share of successful NFL quarterbacks.

The former Tennessee assistant coach spent 21 seasons in the league with seven different teams.

Brown is a “big fan” of Tennessee senior quarterback Joshua Dobbs. Asked on Monday at the Knoxville Quarterback Club if Dobbs could play the position in the NFL, Brown replied: “Without a doubt.”

Brown said Dobbs needs to find the right fit with a team, much like Russell Wilson has done with the Seattle Seahawks and Dak Prescott is doing this season as a rookie with the Dallas Cowboys.

“If he goes to Cleveland he is going to get beat up because they are not very good right now. But if he goes to a good football team like Russell Wilson did and Russell, all he did is not screw it up. Josh Dobbs makes good decisions. He’s smart. He is mobile. Look at some of the runs he made the last couple weeks. And he’s got height and he throws it well enough,” said Brown, who was the wide receivers coach for the Seahawks during their Super Bowl-winning season in 2013-14.
Can Joshua Dobbs play QB in the NFL?

So will he be a pro qb? In the right system, yes. Could he have success here? Sure.

Any QB picked after the first 50 picks should be considered a project.

Dobbs needs work on hus footwork and working from under center. That combination alone leaves a lot of work to be done before he's ready for the NFL. He can be streaky and he loses accuracy under pressure. He does have a lot of tools to work with. It's impressive that he's studying aerospace engineering, although that doesn't mean he's football smart. He actually used football smart, though.

It's good he's remaining in college. He needs to continue to work on those things. I feel that if he does, he could be looking at a first round grade.

How can you be "wildly inaccurate" when completing 63% of your passes, while playing a brutal schedule?

Tebow completed 70.1% of his passes in 2009 at Florida and then put up a completion percentage of less than 48% in the NFL. College isn't like the pros.

Josh Allen. Saints need to go after no QB until this guy enters the draft.

He can succeed at the pro level if he falls into the right system where the coaches are patient. However, I do not see him playing for a team like the Saints.

Possible Brees heir apparent?

I have heard zero about him being a future QB, and I'm by no means a scout, I just know what my uneducated eyes tell me.

I've watched him now for 3 seasons......and he just looks so NFL ready.

The positives on Dobbs are as follows.

Very intelligent (aerospace engineer major), great size (6'3, 220), very instinctual in the pocket with movement, escapability and a quick burst makes him deadly on leak out runs on 3rd down, ultra-competitive, strong armed, tough as nails, improved his accuracy to a solid 63% in senior year, plays toe to toe with the toughest schools in the country....had Bama BEAT junior year until mysterious PI call (remember those) to bail out Bama on their game winning drive at the end of the 4th.....

He has tremendous quiet confident leadership qualities.

In a time when QBs are trending toward QBs that can throw and escape when needed (Rodgers, Russell, Dak), Josh fits that mold to a tee.

His college stats are very similar to Dak, as is his overall game.

Dak was the 7th QB chosen.......and has been the best and it isn't even close.

(Kind of like Mike Thomas being the 8th WR chosen).

He is "projected" as the 9th best, around round 5-6......with

I would love for him to be our 6th round choice.

I can almost guarantee CJ Bethard and Mitch Trubinsky will not be as successful as Dobbs in the NFL, despite being ranked much higher (kind of like Christian Hackenburg and Paxton Lynch picked way ahead of Dak).

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts of JD.

I am a big TN Vols Fan and I dont know if I would want Dobbs in NOLA. He has potential sure but his pocket passing skills are lacking.

His positives are he is tough and a tall QB, yes has a high IQ but would be a project that over time might be worth chasing.

Now some of that can be attributed to their oline which for some reason never became great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom