Josh Dobbs..... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Possible Brees heir apparent?

I have heard zero about him being a future QB, and I'm by no means a scout, I just know what my uneducated eyes tell me.

I've watched him now for 3 seasons......and he just looks so NFL ready.

The positives on Dobbs are as follows.

Very intelligent (aerospace engineer major), great size (6'3, 220), very instinctual in the pocket with movement, escapability and a quick burst makes him deadly on leak out runs on 3rd down, ultra-competitive, strong armed, tough as nails, improved his accuracy to a solid 63% in senior year, plays toe to toe with the toughest schools in the country....had Bama BEAT junior year until mysterious PI call (remember those) to bail out Bama on their game winning drive at the end of the 4th.....

He has tremendous quiet confident leadership qualities.

In a time when QBs are trending toward QBs that can throw and escape when needed (Rodgers, Russell, Dak), Josh fits that mold to a tee.

His college stats are very similar to Dak, as is his overall game.

Dak was the 7th QB chosen.......and has been the best and it isn't even close.

(Kind of like Mike Thomas being the 8th WR chosen).

He is "projected" as the 9th best, around round 5-6......with

I would love for him to be our 6th round choice.

I can almost guarantee CJ Bethard and Mitch Trubinsky will not be as successful as Dobbs in the NFL, despite being ranked much higher (kind of like Christian Hackenburg and Paxton Lynch picked way ahead of Dak).

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts of JD.

No thank you. I've never been impressed by his inability to carry that team on his back when he's supposedly good enough to do it.

Why?

1. Great size.
2. Very intelligent
3. Competed and succeeded tremendously at the highest level in college.
4. Won many games in the 4th.
5. Escapes and runs fast and powerfully.
6. Tremendous leader.

I don't understand the "NO".

He has already stated he will not be going to the NFL. But I agree with other posters on here...even if he was going to the NFL I would not want him. He had major issues carrying his team with the pass once the run was shut down.

No thank you. I've never been impressed by his inability to carry that team on his back when he's supposedly good enough to do it.

Lost 4 games.

Texas AM. Dobbs led them to 38 points, including 21 in the 4th.
Alabama. Come on now.
S Carolina. Only scored 21.
Vandy. Dobbs led them to 34 (31-34, 340 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT)

I would say the SC game wasn't good, and Bama is Bama.....other than that he did everything he could in their losses.

Now their wins.....

Florida. 38 points.
Va Tech. 45 points
Georgia. 34, including a TD pass to win at the buzzer.
Kentucky. 49
Mizz. 63
Nebraska. 38

Were you talking about the SC game in your comment? Because there's no way you could have been talking about any of the other 12 games.

He has already stated he will not be going to the NFL. But I agree with other posters on here...even if he was going to the NFL I would not want him. He had major issues carrying his team with the pass once the run was shut down.

I haven't heard that. Is he seriously not planning on going to the NFL?

The guy is some NASA genius, but I would love him as our QB.

This is totally wrong.

"I have a lot of confidence in my skills and abilities," Dobbs said, "and I definitely expect to play in the NFL and definitely expect to play well."

Vols' Josh Dobbs 'definitely' expects to play quarterback in NFL | Times Free Press

I'm all in for getting Dobbs in the late rounds. I think he will be a beast.

This one is seriously mind boggling to me.

I've watched him do nothing but drive the field over and over vs SEC defenses, with the pass, and I've watched him break teams hearts with a run for first on 3rd down.......and I'm the ONLY one that thinks he'll be a good pro?

He literally is the same size as Dak, has the same demeanor, was MORE SUCCESSFUL in college......and the "negatives" are he doesn't carry his team.....which he clearly does.

Am I the only one that sees his positives?

This is totally wrong.

"I have a lot of confidence in my skills and abilities," Dobbs said, "and I definitely expect to play in the NFL and definitely expect to play well."

Vols' Josh Dobbs 'definitely' expects to play quarterback in NFL | Times Free Press

I'm all in for getting Dobbs in the late rounds. I think he will be a beast.

Well then apparently he has changed his tune. It was known around Tennessee that he said he had no interest in the NFL and he had said so on several occasions. However, my guess is that he is suddenly being talked about in the NFL circles so he may want to see where he is projected to go before making a decision. All that said, he is a great kid but I don't think he will make it in the NFL. Until the past several games he has been wildly inaccurate when forced to throw.

Well then apparently he has changed his tune. It was known around Tennessee that he said he had no interest in the NFL and he had said so on several occasions. However, my guess is that he is suddenly being talked about in the NFL circles so he may want to see where he is projected to go before making a decision. All that said, he is a great kid but I don't think he will make it in the NFL. Until the past several games he has been wildly inaccurate when forced to throw.

How can you be "wildly inaccurate" when completing 63% of your passes, while playing a brutal schedule?

How can you be "wildly inaccurate" when completing 63% of your passes, while playing a brutal schedule?

Lamar Jackson just won the Heisman but couldn't complete a simple dump off to a running back in the flat when playing against LSU. There isn't much brutal about playing an SEC East schedule either.

I don't hate the guy or have anything against him personally, just wasn't really impressed with his inability to beat teams they should've beat. This was their year to dominate the east and they couldn't/didn't do it - and as the QB of the team, that mainly falls on his shoulders.

Putting up 21 4th quarter points in a losing effort isn't impressive to me. Putting up 28 to win would be (Only putting up 17 for three quarters against an aTm team that even LSU's 1950's offense hung 54 on is the bigger question about Dobbs and that offense).

Only putting up 21 against a floundering SC team is another huge question mark. He had this season on a silver platter to start the year, but blew it big time.

I don't think it's all him, there's obviously something wrong in that locker room to have their starting running back quit the team mid-season to transfer somewhere that will allow him to actually catch a pass out of the backfield, so I don't put it all on Dobbs and would be fine if we picked him up as an UDFA. But with only 6 picks this year and the needs we have on defense and along the right side of the OL to make an actual run while Brees can still play, I'd say wait for next year when there's going to be better QB's coming out and take one high if you want to draft Brees' successor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom