N/S Josh Gordon Signs FA Tender (1 Viewer)

Not if my employer had a verifiable factory of replacements on full display every single Saturday morning for the entire fall, an entire week dedicated to vetting every single solitary inch of their ability and history, as well as a database full of every single time they’ve ever sneezed, on hand at all times.

Seems to me that he isn’t worth the headache.

I hear you. But in two seasons since returning from his time out of the league, he has played in 17 games. If you take out the one return game with the Browns last year, which was not pretty much a throwaway (he had one target) he averages about 3.5 catches and 67 yards per game. It’s bascially 16 games about 70 catches and 1,100 yards.

I’m not saying I’d want him on the Saints, I’m just saying why it’s not crazy for the Pats to give him a chance to fly right. As long as you don’t count on him for anything, the risk/reward is pretty strong.

I worry about Josh once football is over.

Hope he doesn't end up like my guy here on the west coast Aldon Smith. Hard to believe he'll be 30 later this year. So talented, so troubled. He was a terror of a DE while with the Niners.

I hear you. But in two seasons since returning from his time out of the league, he has played in 17 games. If you take out the one return game with the Browns last year, which was not pretty much a throwaway (he had one target) he averages about 3.5 catches and 67 yards per game. It’s bascially 16 games about 70 catches and 1,100 yards.

I’m not saying I’d want him on the Saints, I’m just saying why it’s not crazy for the Pats to give him a chance to fly right. As long as you don’t count on him for anything, the risk/reward is pretty strong.

I can certainly appreciate what you’re saying. I guess my biggest question would be: What will have changed? I feel that there is a certain point where enough is enough, and any privilege that comes after is just enabling.

I can certainly appreciate what you’re saying. I guess my biggest question would be: What will have changed? I feel that there is a certain point where enough is enough, and any privilege that comes after is just enabling.

I'm just saying that they're free to conclude that the "privilege/enabling" context doesn't really matter. I don't think an NFL franchise necessarily has to play the role of moral/behavioral regulator, or necessarily be concerned about whether giving a player a job (provided he complies with NFL conduct and substance policies) is considered enabling. They're running a business operation and can evaluate it based on what makes sense for the team's success. If the player has a disciplinary problem, he'll have to account for that under the rules - but if a player is eligible to play, and can be productive for your team, it's worth considering.

Gordon actually played in 11 games for the Pats last year and was fairly productive. That's almost 3/4 of the regular season.

Belichick is the champion of getting rid of players, in a heartbeat, even if those players are loaded with talent.

There has to be something extraordinary about this player for Belichick to be so patient & forgiving. Plus, it sounds like the other guys in the locker room gave him tons of support, because he worked his brains out during practice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom