Josh Hill's future with the team (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Due to the potential progression of rookie tight end Adam Trautman along with QB Tommy Stevens possibly becoming another tight end, do you believe that Josh Hill's time in New Orleans is coming to an end?

Not yet. He's a great blocking TE and a lot of our O requires that. Until Trautman proves he can block as well or better than Hill, it would hurt us to move on. But I guess it could be sooner than later if Adam eventually shows that ability. Hill just seems like one of SP's guys, y'know?

Not yet. He's a great blocking TE and a lot of our O requires that. Until Trautman proves he can block as well or better than Hill, it would hurt us to move on. But I guess it could be sooner than later if Adam eventually shows that ability. Hill just seems like one of SP's guys, y'know?
Yeah like Austin Carr.

I dunno if he's worried about the qb taking his spot but Trautman is another story.

Stevens is a long shot to make the team. He may only be working with the TE's to justify him having a roster spot. I suspect he'll be used as the new Taysom in the event Taysom sees more time at QB.

TE's this year, baring injury before then will be: Cook, Hill, Trautman

This group gives you the best option of running 2 TE sets as well.

Due to the potential progression of rookie tight end Adam Trautman along with QB Tommy Stevens possibly becoming another tight end, do you believe that Josh Hill's time in New Orleans is coming to an end?
Excellent blocking tight end who can catch some, and is also a well respected professional.

No one else on the roster is that combo. He's a better blocker than the rest and the scheme calls for him to be deployed regularly. TheTE2 doesn't just play back up to TE1 after all.

Trautman is here to take over when Cook's contract ends. Stevens is lagniappe / potential Taysom Swiss army knife cover.

Payton loves Hill. I do not see him going anywhere. Barring injury, I would think he, Cook and Trautman are virtual locks with Stephens possibly being a 4th "TE" (i.e. swiss army knife/special teamer).

Stevens is a long shot to make the team. He may only be working with the TE's to justify him having a roster spot. I suspect he'll be used as the new Taysom in the event Taysom sees more time at QB.

TE's this year, baring injury before then will be: Cook, Hill, Trautman

This group gives you the best option of running 2 TE sets as well.

I think Stevens has a really good shot at making the team. We gave up picks to draft him because we knew that Carolina (I think) had a deal to sign him as a UDFA. So we know if we cut him we lose him for nothing. So, unless he shows that he can't catch at all and is really bad at football, he is making the team.

And, the fact that the team has now given him a TE number tells me that they have confirmed that he can play TE at least to some extent.

That being said, Hill is going nowhere. Payton loves him and has mentioned in the past that when Hill is out with an injury, it really cuts down on what he can run out of the playbook.

Last edited:
There are quite a few factors at play here. I'll start by saying Josh hill is not "on the bubble" this season. He is a 100% roster lock, especially considering the current state of training camp and lack of preseason games. This question really comes into play next season, so let's take a look at the scenarios at play.

If Trautman doesn't play a larger role this season, he certainly will next season. Assuming Cook returns, that bumps Josh Hill to third on the depth chart.

If Taysom, for one reason or another, doesn't take over the starting QB role next season AND remains with the team, that would make Josh hill expendable at that point as that makes three very capable TE's other than Josh.

Stevens is the wild card, but such a wild card that I don't see him being much of a factor in this discussion.

Conversely, If Taysom does take over at QB or moves on to another team, Trautman flourishes, and Cook retires, or some combination of those, Hill will be around indefinitely.

This is a wonderful "problem" to have!

Stevens is in competition with the back end of the roster. He'll be taking a special teamers spot if anything. No chance at all he threatens J.Hill. I wouldn't even factor him into the TE room.

Trautman isn't threatening anyone this year. Just hope he develops enough to see the field some.

Next year Cook will no longer be under contract and will be 34. Taysom may be playing QB full time. Trautman and Josh are your 2021 TEs.

What is his cap number? I seem to recall us matching the Bears and Pace's offer to him a few years back...if he is getting more than 2.5/3 MM with no dead charge to cut, then he could be in jeopardy this year? That is a lot to allocate to a generic 3rd TE, even if CSP loves him. Blocking TEs practically grow on trees.

I don’t dislike Hill, it the reason we throw so many short play actions and screens to him is just because it’s so unexpected. Tight End has been a big weakness for us for several years. There have been a lot of teams with 2 TE’s better than any of ours for a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom