JPP has eyes set on Vernon like deal (1 Viewer)

Sorry, but you have no idea what you'd do if in their position. It is easy for us "every day men" to look at these million dollar athletes and pass judgments like this. Everyone wants to be paid what they're worth and maximize their earnings, regardless of what they're making. Also, believe it or not, but reality is that the NFL is a money-making venture for owners and players first and foremost, not about winning games.

To get where these guys have gotten, you almost have to have a little bit of an ego and "me" attitude.

So I have no idea what I'd do in their position, but you do know what I'd do in their position? How does that happen

So much greed. How can these players expect to find winning teams when they all want 20% of the entire cap?

Maybe it's just me, but I would happily take a few million less if it meant my team could pay other great players.

Maybe he doesn't care about being on a winning team? Maybe he just wants to secure his family's financial future. Who knows?

So I have no idea what I'd do in their position, but you do know what I'd do in their position? How does that happen

Never said I did, just pointing out that it is easy for a person not making millions to tell someone that is making millions that they should sacrifice money "for the team," a team that will cut you as soon as you have a bad season or you get injured.

Didn't mean to offend, just saying that your position is coming from a different set of circumstances and you're not exposed to the reality that NFL players live. You're saying what you said as an "every day person," so of course the prospect of making millions while sacrificing millions sounds good to you.

Never said I did, just pointing out that it is easy for a person not making millions to tell someone that is making millions that they should sacrifice money "for the team," a team that will cut you as soon as you have a bad season or you get injured.

Didn't mean to offend, just saying that your position is coming from a different set of circumstances and you're not exposed to the reality that NFL players live. You're saying what you said as an "every day person," so of course the prospect of making millions while sacrificing millions sounds good to you.

No offense taken! I get what you're saying 100% but there are players who have done that type of thing before. And I just think id be one of em is all. I've always been philanthropic :hihi:

He needs $15 million a year to secure his finances?

Absolutely. This is, before all else, his job...one that is pretty dangerous, with a lot of negative long-term health effects. Football players most often only have about 8 years (on the outside) of effective lifespan in this job, so it works significantly differently than jobs that you or I would hold; ones that come with long-term stability and incremental pay raises for competence and dependability, etc...

That is also why I think more credence should be lent to what Saintaholic is saying. It seems as if you are trying to look at his financial decisions through the lens of your life and lifestyle, and that's simply never going to work. Not only is the nature of his work very different from anything you will ever do, but the nature of what he will have to deal with as a result of his work is also very different.

And that's not even getting into the fact that for him to accept less than market value for his services would be fundamentally ridiculous and counter to most of what our society / economy is about. Again, you're looking at it through the wrong lens, this time that of the football fan. In doing so, that industry has you exactly where they want you because you pay into their moneymaking scheme and ignore the dark underbelly (CTE, publicly funded stadiums for billionaires, lack of adequate care for NFL retirees, and on and on) of the game you love to watch. I certainly wouldn't expect JPP to, though. I presume he has too many competent people around him and too much knowledge of the business aspect to be as shortsighted as a fan, and I would also presume that in the long run, 99% of football players would rather have money in the bank to take care of their health problems when they are 80 years old than a super bowl ring.

If somebody wants to overpay for him, let them. It's a free market.

I don't think he'll get it though, not with his hand issues.

He needs $15 million a year to secure his finances?

Maybe he wants to secure his finances, his parent's finances, his children's finances, his grandchildren's finances, heck maybe even his best friend's finances, which is his prerogative.

This guy has won the DNA lottery and wants to cash it in for as much as he wants; I can't have a problem with a person who wants to maximize their earnings, especially in this country.

Get every dang penny you can squeeze out of whomever is willing to pay it. Spend your last two years chasing a ring if you want, but the billionaire owners won't give a crap when you can barely walk at 45. Ever seen Tom Jacskon try to walk? He can barely do. Daily life is a struggle for most of these guys after football, why would you undersell yourself for that?

Football Players careers are shorter outside of QB. Thats why he wants all his money now

Kickers, punters, and long snappers can last a while too. If they're good.

Best job in football is the career back-up QBs. Nobody likes you, nobody wants to see you play. They're happy you're there just in case, but cringe when you take the field in a meaningful game. Sure you have the year-round workouts, and maybe get 60-70 snaps in preseason, but nobody is allowed to touch you in practice. You make a few million dollars and you might even get to do a commercial or two. And when you come off the bench and you lose, nobody blames you because, "He's a back-up for a reason". Like Jon Gruden said, "I want to be Brett Farve's back-up!!"

Didn't want him before this, def don't want him now. I think he is very overrated

And I have my eyes set on a Orlando Bloom like sexual history. We'll see which one of us gets closer to our goals...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom