JPP or Jabaal Sheard? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Which player do you think would come in and make an immediate impact on the defense and would become a key contributor for this ball club in the long run?

Which player do you think would come in and make an immediate impact on the defense and would become a key contributor for this ball club in the long run?

Between those two guys, I'd go easily go w/JPP. We already have a Jabaal Sheard-type player in Paul Kruger(if he resigns).

I'm not sold on JPP, but Sheard isn't a risk-free signing either.

Article Link
Sheard had a very productive 2015 season with 8.5 sacks while playing mostly as a passing down edge rusher. With the trade of Chandler Jones prior to 2016, he was penciled in as a starter and more was expected of him. But he struggled this season and after Jamie Collins was traded, Sheard was inactive a healthy scratch.

Whatever message the coaches were trying to send, seemed to have worked. Sheard never complained publicly, he put his nose to the grindstone and worked hard and saw his playing time increase a bit down the stretch. He played well in the playoffs and logged a half-sack in the Super Bowl.

Spotrac’s Market Value Tool sets Sheard’s price range at an expected $44 million over five years, $8.8 million annually. That seems pretty high for Sheard, whose single-season high in sacks is 8.5 was in 2015. Per Spotrac, that would make him the league’s 12th highest-paid defensive end.

Sheard is younger with more upside and cheaper, JPP is at that point where he's going to start declining and only has half a hand.

I'd take Sheard if we're unable to get anyone better. I'd have to pass on JPP now, would have loved him a few years ago though

If we're leaning in his direction, i'd rather see us go after a guy like Dumervil.

Sheard is younger with more upside and cheaper, JPP is at that point where he's going to start declining and only has half a hand.

I'd take Sheard if we're unable to get anyone better. I'd have to pass on JPP now, would have loved him a few years ago though

I thought that's too until I looked it up. They're less than 1 year apart.

Sheard as he is a year younger than JPP.

Sheard will not cost no where near what JPP would in free-agency.

Sheard would also allow the Saints to invest in a young DE in the draft as well at 11 without feeling like the team has a large chunk of cap tied up in one position. Having Sheard in as a rotational player would also not feel soiled if/ when a rookie start out-performing him.

Sheard would be a good 3d DE without breaking the bank while improving the team.

While JPP has performed a few times in the past his consistency doesn't rate what he will be paid.

I'd go with Branch before I went with either as he also has the body type Ireland looks at drafting. Branch poor mans version and is similar to Yannick Ngakoue, who the Saints were looking at last year.

I don't really know what the price of each guy is, but I'd definitely want Melvin Ingram over both. Sheard does everything well though, so it's hard not to like him. I'd say him over JPP just because of what I'd think they'd cost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom