June 3 - A sad day (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's the day Billy Joe McCallister jumped off the tallahatchie bridge.

:nopityA::nopityA:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WoMF_mSeWJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
What's going on in here?

Is this an old guy joke?

Sounds like an old guy joke.

"Ode to Billie Joe" is sort of the country music version of "A Perfect Day for Bananafish."

And the movie (produced by Jethro Bodine, starring Glynnis O'Connor and The Beast, is now almost 40 years old! :covri:)

hqdefault.jpg

I saw him at the sawmill yesterday.... And now you tell me Billie Joe has jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge

Yeah but June 3rd is also the day that the first bikini was introduced to the world. So it's got that going for it.

What's going on in here?

Is this an old guy joke?

Sounds like an old guy joke.

Yes.. I think it is....

pass the biscuits, please

That's the whole point of the song.. Not that he jumped and killed himself, but that the family could just casually sit around at the dinner table and talk about the boys death in front of his girlfriend with no regard for her feelings.

But what I love about Bobbie Gentry the most aside from her sexyness. Is the way that she incorporated so much southern slang into her music. Also it also references to Drug use in southern Mississippi back in the 60's. Yes folks... In the 60's drugs and pot were not just in the big cities... That's right.. It was in a corn field near you.

and BTW... The club is called Fancy's for a reason...

and I also think June 6th is a sadder day...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/psOSOGQQijc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• b gentry 2 a.jpg
    b gentry 2 a.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 4
That's the whole point of the song.. Not that he jumped and killed himself, but that the family could just casually sit around at the dinner table and talk about the boys death in front of his girlfriend with no regard for her feelings.

and maybe more to the point, the family had no awareness or or interest in her life

but dang i loved those story songs
harper valley pta
edmund fitzgerald
uneasy rider
boy named sue
et al

guido, you're how old? :scratch:

Oh, and I guess I always thought the family didn't know about the relationship. That they knew and discussed it casually at the dinner table never occurred to me.

Thinking back on those days, there were a lot of things my parents never knew about my activities. We used to leave the house in the morning and come back at dusk as kids, they never knew where we were with any certainty. So when we became teens it just followed the same way.

As far as I know she is still alive...

and guiedo... Love the Edmond Fitzgerald too. Gordon Lightfoot's Summer Time Dream wwas the first Album that I ever bought.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom