June Jones resigns from Hawaii as their HC (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I just heard this from a buddy of mine on another board and felt it would be necesary to pass it along here on Sr.com, man it looks like June Jones is gone from Hawaii, he was and still is a good HC, its a shame he is leaving a program he helped build from the ground up.

June Jones :moran:

Who leaves Hawaii for Dallas?

From the link provided.

The Honolulu Advertiser, citing Jones' friend, Al Souza, reported Jones resigned Saturday morning. Jones said he would leave the university because of a lack of commitment from athletic department leaders, among other reasons, the paper said.

The program has reached it's ceiling and unless they are willing to pony up and make the facilities competitive so that he can actually recruit players from the mainland more often and build a real program. I can understand why he would resign, it happens a lot. More recently Tuber Ville was upset about this. Jones has done a good job with what he had but he can only do so much unless they like being mediocre which is very possible.

Your job is to coach football from the beaches of Hafreakinwaii

Yeah, but it's been established (in written articles, and by the announcers during the Sugar Bowl) that Hawaii's budget for recruiting is $50,000 a year. That's not a misprint- apparently Jones has only made soemthing ridiculous like 3 recruiting trips to the mainland in the last 2 years. It's amazing they went undefeated with a setup like that-- even though they were playing some of the weakest competition in the country.

SMU is pushing to reach the heights it held before its football program got the death sentence. They've never fully recovered from that.

Apparently this is not official yet and Hawaii countered the offer SMU put on the table, but it may be too late. I think he still intends to resign, but the higher up administration there (chancellors, president) are getting involved in negotiations to keep him around. There's also a very large fan movement dedicated to getting the AD fired.

Somehow I feel like I'm looking into my own school's future....

If Jones is leaving to take the SMU job he is making a mistake. I believe SMU has the same academic requirements as Tulane which hampers its recruiting.

Its just too hard to compete on the 1A level when you have a self imposed handicap with the rest of your competition.

This might be one of the most boneheaded coaching decisions EVER.

Can someone give me three reasons why he left Hawaii?

This might be one of the most boneheaded coaching decisions EVER.

Can someone give me three reasons why he left Hawaii?

One reason is enough. He is making 2 million a year now. Alot more then he was making at Hawaii.

Two million a year in Texas is not equal to living/working at a job you love in Hawaii. Though maybe his plan is to make the 2 mil a year for a while and then retire in Hawaii, oh wait, that's my plan(except I don't make 2 mil a year).

Two million a year in Texas is not equal to living/working at a job you love in Hawaii. Though maybe his plan is to make the 2 mil a year for a while and then retire in Hawaii, oh wait, that's my plan(except I don't make 2 mil a year).

Dallas is a very nice city. He has plenty of time to lay up in Hawaii after he retires.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom