Junk Mail (1 Viewer)

Would you support a full opt-out of junk mail?

• Yes! Please stop this madness

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No! It is valuable to small business, charities and the postal system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh - I don't really care one way or the other

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It drives me absolutely crazy. Every week I throw away about 10 pounds or more of unwanted, unsolicited mail. Catalogs from companies that I never ordered from. Offers of credit cards, insurance, refinancing and the like. Real estate ads and solicitations. Non-profits sending me nickels and address labels because a study 30 years ago concluded that people are more likely to donate if you "give" them something first. And all of it with full color ink and high grade paper that likely harms the environment when it goes straight from my mailbox to the garbage can to the landfill.

I know that the rate of return on these unsolicited offers is less than two percent. Research also shows that almost half of all junk mail is never even opened at all by the recipient.

What's more is that these piles of unsolicited garbage that are useful to less than two percent of the recipients is actually encouraged by the postal system. They receive very favorable postage rates. Some have concluded that these piles of unsolicited garbage actually keep the USPS alive and getting rid of it would throw the postal service into a financial abyss. As of 2008, more than 19 states had tried to enact "Do Not Mail" lists that would function like the successful "Do Not Call" lists - but each effort was defeated, largely by the work of the postal workers union and small business interests that believe that those customers that are generated by the mailings (even at a two percent return) are critical.

http://www.newsweek.com/junk-mail-keeps-post-office-alive-89323

As I was typing this post, I learned about an organization called Greendimes, who is fighting junk mail based on the environmental impact. Their website says that:

But don’t believe us, the US Environmental Protection Agency estimates that “44% of junk mail is discarded without beign opened or read, equaling 4 million tons of waste of paper per year, with just 32% recovered for recycling.” Also the Ohio Office of Compliance has stated that “250,000 homes could be heated for a single day’s junkmail.”

The CO2 emissions from 41 pounds of advertising mail received annually by the average US consumer is about 47.6 kilograms (105 Pounds). The loss of natural habitat potential from the 41 pounds of admail is estimated to be 36.6 square meters.

Is estimated that 100 million trees are cut down each year to create the 4.5 million tons of junkmail in the US alone, and an estimated 28 billion gallons of water is also used on the production, annually.

What is Green Dimes? | Junk MailJunk Mail

There is some minimal relief available if you, like me, hate junk mail on so many levels. The FTC and the credit bureaus off an "opt out" procedure whereby you can register and remove yourself from receiving unsolicited offers of credit and insurance (this includes new credit card offers and home refinance offers). https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t
But that won't get you out of the piles of catalogs, non-profit/charity solicitations, home repair "publications" and all that other crap.

Does it drive you as crazy as it does me? I hate going to the mailbox because of it. I hate sitting there and tearing up the credit offers that I never open. I hate feeling the true weight of catalogs and pointless unsolicited mail in my garbage can every week as I roll it out to go to the damn landfill.

What's your address I have some important stuff I need to send you.

I like using my shredder so I don't mind it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom