just a thought (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
have you guys ever thought about us drafting a backup for brees... martin is old and palko is unproven. What do yall think?

I've always been of the mind that without Brees we are gonna lose anyway, simply because of how QB dependent our system is. So I've never really carred who his backup was.

No late draft pick would be a capable backup for years. No point and wasting a pick just for a project player, especially when we have to many needs on defense.

I hope were able to draft Josh Johnson (San Diego Univ), the kid can throw and run!
:plus-un2:
This guy is the real deal. He isn't that fast on paper, but I have never seen the kind of burst he has in a QB.
He has an unbelievably quick release, and can spread the field well, though he hasn't got much of an arm.
Unfortunately, as Bonchie says, we will soon have to accept that at the minute without Drew we will lose.
In a few years that will be different, because we have one of, if not the best coach in the league at taking young, raw QBs to the next level (Tony Romo was basically a blank slate who Payton molded into the perfect QB for the Dallas system. He also took the Giants Kerry Collins and molded him into the system there. Under Sean's tutelage he became one of the most productive QBs in Giants history).
He has made it clear that every year he will bring in at least one UDFA or late round QB and use them as a 'project'. Tyler Palko is in a very good position at the minute with the perfect mentor. Soon he will be a great backup for us. I'd expect us to pick up someone (hopefully) like Johnson, who IIRC threw for 100+ TDs and less than 15 picks his whole college career. Others we may give a look who I think would fit in here are Nebraska's Sam Keller and National Championship winning Matt Flynn. That is not homerism, I actually think Flynn would be great under Payton

They don;t have to draft for a backup QB because the saints offense is a "system" offense. This is a pocket, quick throw offense where if the QB can read the defense before the snap and throw with accuracy he'll be successful.

A good career backup could lead this offense as well as any young QB with starting potential because they have the experience to read an NFL defense. If your asking about a future replacement for Brees then there is still time to see if a QB falls into your arms.

have you guys ever thought about us drafting a backup for brees... martin is old and palko is unproven. What do yall think?

But wait,,,if we DRAFT a backup, wouldn't they be as unproven at Palko?:dunno:

as long as we get defensive help , without that it really doesnt mater

How much time is Payton really spending with the QBs? (honest question)

At both NYG (Collins) and Dallas (Romo) he was directly responsible for either QBs or offense whereas now he is overseeing the whole operation.

No late draft pick would be a capable backup for years. No point and wasting a pick just for a project player, especially when we have to many needs on defense.
tom brady was a 6th rounder... true, he only got to play when bledsoe got hurt but once in he never left

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom