Just Adopted a Daschshund (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Well the wife and I went to our local humane league tonight just to see what dogs were available to adopt. We really wanted a Dachshund but we would only adopt just because we live here in the puppy mill capital of America, Lancaster, PA and there are a lot of dogs that need saved. Anyway Dachshund are typically hard to find at shelters but we came across this guy tonight. "Frank" 3 months old red short haired pup. Him and 17 other small breed puppies were found at the end of a driveway in crates a few weeks ago abandoned in the cold pouring rain. We fell in love instantly and had to have him. We go Thursday to pick him up after his surgery. According to the law all dogs must be neutered before being adopted. And they also micro chip them. We are so excited and can't wait to get him. Being the 2 month old newlyweds this will be our first pet together.

Attachments

• Frank..jpg
    Frank..jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My in laws have a weenie dog named Frank as well. Probably a popular name for the breed. Cool move on going to the pound.

My in laws have a weenie dog named Frank as well. Probably a popular name for the breed. Cool move on going to the pound.

Yeah thats the name that the shelter had for him, but we like it and are going to stick with it. I agree I'm sure it's a really is a popular name for them.

Well the wife and I went to our local humane league tonight just to see what dogs were available to adopt. We really wanted a Dachshund but we would only adopt just because we live here in the puppy mill capital of America, Lancaster, PA and there are a lot of dogs that need saved. Anyway Dachshund are typically hard to find at shelters but we came across this guy tonight. "Frank" 3 months old red short haired pup. Him and 17 other small breed puppies were found at the end of a driveway in crates a few weeks ago abandoned in the cold pouring rain. We fell in love instantly and had to have him. We go Thursday to pick him up after his surgery. According to the law all dogs must be neutered before being adopted. And they also micro chip them. We are so excited and can't wait to get him. Being the 2 month old newlyweds this will be our first pet together.

It is sooo cute.

We have a dachshund and it makes a GREAT pet.

Fun, easy, smart dog.

That's really cool that you got it from the humane league. :9:

I adopted a dachshund and a pug in June of 2007. My last dog was a Rotti so this was a big change. My dach is black and tan and is female. Her tail is crooked (i think it was broken). She is very sweet, but she is the alpha dog. I haven't had many problems with her, she was easy to train. The biggest problem is when she's "following her nose" its hard to get her attention.The pug is another story.

Great choice! I breed, train and show dachshunds, so of course I'm biased! Most important thing, don't allow him to get too heavy; that puts too much strain on that long back they have. They're NOT supposed to look like a stuffed sausage! Don't let him jump up and down off of beds, couches, etc., too much; you can train him to sit and wait to be lifted if you want him on the couch next to you. A crate at night will keep him from jumping on the bed and perhaps hurting his back.

Frank is a popular name for dachsunds...our first one (which we got after only a couple weeks of marriage) was named "Boudin" -- greatest dog ever, even after the several dachshunds we've owned since then.

Great dogs -- little dogs with a big dog attitude. :9: Congratulations!!

Great pet bro ! Dachshunds are wonderful dogs. I'd like to have one of those and a Blood Hound.
A good friend of mine has a Dachshund and I'll tell ya, that is one smart dog. I love the way she freaks out when someone yells "squirrel!" LOL

Great choice! I breed, train and show dachshunds, so of course I'm biased! Most important thing, don't allow him to get too heavy; that puts too much strain on that long back they have. They're NOT supposed to look like a stuffed sausage! Don't let him jump up and down off of beds, couches, etc., too much; you can train him to sit and wait to be lifted if you want him on the couch next to you. A crate at night will keep him from jumping on the bed and perhaps hurting his back.

Frank is a popular name for dachsunds...our first one (which we got after only a couple weeks of marriage) was named "Boudin" -- greatest dog ever, even after the several dachshunds we've owned since then.

ugh oh, Kellye our dachshund is a bit heavy. :( She runs away(always comes back though) and gets the cat food that neighbors leave outside. Somehow she escapes from the backyard fence. We have tried and tried to prevent that. Mended any little bitty hole in fence, put bricks around it, etc. :dunno:

She jumps up onto our/her chair too. I'm glad I read this, I didn't know that was bad for them.

Great pet bro ! Dachshunds are wonderful dogs. I'd like to have one of those and a Blood Hound.
A good friend of mine has a Dachshund and I'll tell ya, that is one smart dog. I love the way she freaks out when someone yells "squirrel!" LOL

LOL!! My dachshund LOVES barking at and chasing squirrels. But, when she finally came face to face with a squirrel RIGHT in front of her that did NOT run away, she just stared at it!!! My husband just shook his head, laughed, and said, "dummy." It was hilarious.

Good for you Voodoo , hope you and the Mrs. have wonderful luck with him.

My wife has a miniture dach. and it was 16 pounds. The vet said it had to lose 6 lbs. Its pretty fat.

My wife has a miniture dach. and it was 16 pounds. The vet said it had to lose 6 lbs. Its pretty fat.

Did the vet suggest on how to do that?
I was walking my dog pretty regularly for a while, and I didn't see any change in her weight? :dunno:

Do y'all use the diet dog food? I can't remember who, but someone a while back, told us not to give her the diet dog food.

Did the vet suggest on how to do that?
I was walking my dog pretty regularly for a while, and I didn't see any change in her weight? :dunno:

Do y'all use the diet dog food? I can't remember who, but someone a while back, told us not to give her the diet dog food.

We bought some liquid diet medication. It is supposed to decrease her appetite to make her eat less. She has lost three lbs so far. She is still fat IMO.

Great choice and name. We've got a 3-month old half Dachsund/half Yorkie named Meaux Jeaux who's been a wonderful addition to our menagerie.

Weenie Dogs rule!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom