Just another day in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

I am trying very hard to give Cantrell the benefit of the doubt on this one - this case is the perfect example of the challenge between short term security and order (a necessary precondition for any civil society) achieved through removing violent offenders from the population on the one hand and enacting long term reforms that break the cycle that funnels young boys into violent crime for good on the other.

We need both IMO but it can be hard to tell which approach is best in any given case.

Here, you have to balance 5 carjackings against the fact the kid is only 13 years old and willing to enroll in a diversion program. I dunno about this - carjacking is a violent act (even with a fake gun) and I'm pretty sure we will see this kid again at Tulane and Broad. But no matter what, the Mayor openly siding with the criminal and basically blowing off the victims is just incredibly stupid and counterproductive for her programs.

I've given up on her. We just have to weather the storm for 3 more years and then hope we can start over.

Apparently loltuckercarlson is airing a story on this carjacking where she sat with the parent in the court room. We never make national news for good reasons.

I am trying very hard to give Cantrell the benefit of the doubt on this one - this case is the perfect example of the challenge between short term security and order (a necessary precondition for any civil society) achieved through removing violent offenders from the population on the one hand and enacting long term reforms that break the cycle that funnels young boys into violent crime for good on the other.

We need both IMO but it can be hard to tell which approach is best in any given case.

Here, you have to balance 5 carjackings against the fact the kid is only 13 years old and willing to enroll in a diversion program. I dunno about this - carjacking is a violent act (even with a fake gun) and I'm pretty sure we will see this kid again at Tulane and Broad. But no matter what, the Mayor openly siding with the criminal and basically blowing off the victims is just incredibly stupid and counterproductive for her programs.

I've given up on her. We just have to weather the storm for 3 more years and then hope we can start over.

Then what next? It's been the same story for as long as I've been alive in that city. 149 years since a Republican has been Mayor of NOLA and that isn't changing.

Latoya
Mitch
Nagin

I guess Morial was the last decent Mayor the city had.

Apparently loltuckercarlson is airing a story on this carjacking where she sat with the parent in the court room. We never make national news for good reasons.

Exhibit A as to why this move was totally counterproductive for the programs she's trying to promote.

Then what next? It's been the same story for as long as I've been alive in that city. 149 years since a Republican has been Mayor of NOLA and that isn't changing.

Latoya
Mitch
Nagin

In retrospect, I think Mitch was the best of the bunch in recent decades until he basically just quit doing the job to audition for a spot in the Clinton Administration (whoops). He was an egomaniac/control freak but he achieved a basic level of competence that we don't usually get.

Morial was fine but not much more than a corrupt machine politician. The end of an era.

Apparently, he is a graduate of that program.

Latoya
Mitch
Nagin

Which Morial?

Right - I am assuming he graduated AFTER he was arrested and before sentencing and that is why LaToya was there.

If he graduated and then went on this carjacking spree, that's very different, and she is even dumber than I thought.

How could ANY law abiding citizen of NOLA not be extremely angry with Cantrell over this!!! This is why soooo many of these minors couldn't care less about breaking laws, they have zero fear of repercussions for their actions.

Hell, even DA Jason Williams thought tis was dumb and that's saying a lot!

Wait, wasn't part of the conditions of his probation that he attend one of these programs? Did the judge not know that he already had? Or did the judge think that second time is a charm?

Wait, wasn't part of the conditions of his probation that he attend one of these programs? Did the judge not know that he already had? Or did the judge think that second time is a charm?
That was undergrad. He is heading for grad school.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom