Just another day in New Orleans (2 Viewers)

Wait, wasn't part of the conditions of his probation that he attend one of these programs? Did the judge not know that he already had? Or did the judge think that second time is a charm?

I think he got probation in part because he had recently gone through the program (after the arrest). At least I think so - the article is a little unclear on the timing.

I think it was:

Age 13 - carjacking spree - arrested
Age 14 - diversionary program completed
Age 14.5 - sentenced to probation

I think he got probation in part because he had recently gone through the program (after the arrest). At least I think so - the article is a little unclear on the timing.

I think it was:

If it was like this, that doesn't seem so terrible.

I think it was:

Ok this makes more sense and also gives her a reason to be there. Still bad optic to be with the defendant’s family.

Ok this makes more sense and also gives her a reason to be there. Still bad optic to be with the defendant’s family.
That's my issue. There are other ways to tout the program without appearing to slap the victims in their faces. There are zero good optics by showing up in the courtroom.

I think it was:

Well, the article linked was pretty ambiguous (purposely) about the timing, but it still doesn't change the fact that she shouldn't have been there at all. If she wants to show him support, she needs to see him in about a year or two and then she would know if he's worthy of her support.

This is getting worse for Cantrell .

What he should have said is crimes like carjacking are when people like him start to notice civilization is falling apart. Not homelessness. Not stagnant wages. Not police brutality. Not skyrocketing housing and other living costs. Not growing levels of poverty or a struggling middle class. Not a lot of other things that clearly mark decline. Carjacking. And other crimes that might directly affect him. While brazen violent crimes are alarming, there are a lot of societal breakdowns and failures on the way to getting to that point.

I'm curious about his NOPD numbers, though, from anybody who actually knows. In February, WWL reported there were "about 1,054 officers on the rolls in a department built for 1600," not the approximately 500 out of 2,000 numbers he used. And he cites defunding as the cause and while I don't know what is creating staffing shortages there, I know Austin is dealing with an understaffed police department at a time when the council approved the largest police budget in the city's history last year. I've heard a number of cities are struggling with inadequate levels of police personnel.

What he should have said is crimes like carjacking are when people like him start to notice civilization is falling apart. Not homelessness. Not stagnant wages. Not police brutality. Not skyrocketing housing and other living costs. Not growing levels of poverty or a struggling middle class. Not a lot of other things that clearly mark decline. Carjacking. And other crimes that might directly affect him. While brazen violent crimes are alarming, there are a lot of societal breakdowns and failures on the way to getting to that point.

I'm curious about his NOPD numbers, though, from anybody who actually knows. In February, WWL reported there were "about 1,054 officers on the rolls in a department built for 1600," not the approximately 500 out of 2,000 numbers he used. And he cites defunding as the cause and while I don't know what is creating staffing shortages there, I know Austin is dealing with an understaffed police department at a time when the council approved the largest police budget in the city's history last year. I've heard a number of cities are struggling with inadequate levels of police personnel.

Indeed- Tucker Carlson is a much better example of a broken and corrupt society than the violent spasms of the disenfranchised

And to your other point- the police retention problem is some every city is experiencing since early 2010s
As much as anything it’s bc the massive force build up that happened during the ‘war on drugs’
2010s was the retirement time for the rooks of early 1990s

The 500 number is what I've heard is the day to day number of sworn officers on duty. The 1000 number includes a lot of folks on medical leave or otherwise not really 'there.'

Mitch screwed us with the hiring freeze in 2012 which started the drain off and we've never recovered. The consent decree and the environment its created has accelerated the problem at the worst possible time to be in the market for police officers.

The 500 number is what I've heard is the day to day number of sworn officers on duty. The 1000 number includes a lot of folks on medical leave or otherwise not really 'there.'

Mitch screwed us with the hiring freeze in 2012 which started the drain off and we've never recovered. The consent decree and the environment its created has accelerated the problem at the worst possible time to be in the market for police officers.

That's quite a disparity in numbers then. I just viewed another report from WDSU and as of June, Superintendent Ferguson maintained the number was over 1,000. If that doesn't represent a work-ready force, then there is a glaring lack of transparency, but it's hard to imagine there are only about 500 officers to cover all shifts, if that's the case.

Add to the list of signs of a failing civilization; having to choose between corrupt and abusive policing or woefully insufficient policing.

And to your other point- the police retention problem is some every city is experiencing since early 2010s
As much as anything it’s bc the massive force build up that happened during the ‘war on drugs’
2010s was the retirement time for the rooks of early 1990s

Is that to say departments aren't trying to staff at those levels or there aren't enough interested people to fill the openings anymore?

That's quite a disparity in numbers then. I just viewed another report from WDSU and as of June, Superintendent Ferguson maintained the number was over 1,000. If that doesn't represent a work-ready force, then there is a glaring lack of transparency, but it's hard to imagine there are only about 500 officers to cover all shifts, if that's the case.

Add to the list of signs of a failing civilization; having to choose between corrupt and abusive policing or woefully insufficient policing.

“If you were to take some of those numbers and knock them down and start trying to deduct administrative and stuff like that, you’re looking well below a thousand,” the former sergeant, who asked to remain anonymous, told Fox 8.

The former sergeant, who spent nearly 13 years with NOPD before retiring this year, said around 430 officers are policing the city and responding to calls. The estimate has been supported by multiple law enforcement sources.

“Sometimes, you might get two, three people working the street in a whole district,” the retiree said. “You’ve got police officers having to make the decision: ‘There’s only two or three of us, where’s my backup?’”

The sergeant blames a culture of overly punitive internal policies and restrictive policing that have forced officers toward an attitude of self-preservation.

Have you seen her travel expenses. Wozers. She was on the move again this week.

Cantrell argues the decree is no longer necessary and that it has "handcuffed" a hamstrung police force and prevents them from performing their duties.

Among other concerns, she says it also forces them to fill out excessive paperwork and has contributed to dwindling morale at the agency.

FWIW I heard about a meeting earlier this year where a major hotel owner and another business owner met with Latoya and the NOPD Chief last spring. They had been informed by someone inside the department that the NOPD only had 2 officers on duty in the FQ the prior weekend. Latoya BS'd them but the chief eventually admitted that was true. There was no sense of urgency from the mayor. The hotel owner walked out of the meeting and called his team to tell them to put the hotel up for sale.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom