Just another day in New Orleans (3 Viewers)

Just going to get worse... Too many out there looking to point fingers and place blame for issues... And No one to offer and implement solutions for them. This will all come to a head when the mass exodus of tax dollars starts to leave town, and tourists no longer feel safe enough to visit or spend their money here. It's past time to stop talking about the problems, and start talking about the solutions. How there isn't a uprising of citizens looking to recall this Mayor is perplexing to me. It's obvious her priorities do not include the safety and prosperity of the citizens she is charged to serve.

I honestly don't feel that bad about the probation if the kid really did complete a meaningful program. I don't want to take what those women went through for granted, but statistically just sending those kids to juvie has a high probability of creating a lifelong criminal. Considering nobody was physically hurt and the firearm was fake, lets try to turn those kids around. I would be interested in knowing the conditions of the parole....IMO it wouldn't be enough just to stay out of trouble. There would need to be more monitoring and hoops to jump through

But yeah....Cantrell's judgement and decision making in this is awful.

Thanks for sharing that perspective. It's surprising to me that such a disparity in actual numbers might exist, that there isn't some way to get a more accurate picture of what is happening, and not have to rely on anonymous sources.
City Council acknowledged it back in May

City Council acknowledged it back in May

I'm not seeing where they acknowledged the 500 number but regardless, there's no doubt staffing has become a problem in many places, and reached a crisis level in New Orleans and other cities. The reasons that cities are having a hard time filling police openings appear to be numerous.

I'm not seeing where they acknowledged the 500 number but regardless, there's no doubt staffing has become a problem in many places, and reached a crisis level in New Orleans and other cities. The reasons that cities are having a hard time filling police openings appear to be numerous.
Here are the numbers as of June which are dropping and they are trying to stop.

The New Orleans Police Department is expected to see record low employment numbers for the first time in history.

The city has 989 officers now, according to the city council. However, that number is expected to drop to 898 by the end of 2022.

The city budgets for 1,500 officers and said that 1,500 officers is the necessary amount to help patrol the city.

Lee Zurick has found lots of problems with the ones they got. Someone got to clean this up

Lee Zurick has found lots of problems with the ones they got. Someone got to clean this up

And yet, the NOPD no longer needs to be under a consent decree...

I honestly don't feel that bad about the probation if the kid really did complete a meaningful program. I don't want to take what those women went through for granted, but statistically just sending those kids to juvie has a high probability of creating a lifelong criminal. Considering nobody was physically hurt and the firearm was fake, lets try to turn those kids around. I would be interested in knowing the conditions of the parole....IMO it wouldn't be enough just to stay out of trouble. There would need to be more monitoring and hoops to jump through

But yeah....Cantrell's judgement and decision making in this is awful.
Until the kid tries to carjack someone with a gun and gets shot in the head.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom