Just another day in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

Until the kid tries to carjack someone with a gun and gets shot in the head.
how is that relevant? If sending him to juvie raises the chances of him being a career criminal than his odds of getting killed doing something criminal actually go up (if you are really concerned about his future)

i don't mind complaints against Cantrell - she seems rather feckless
but the lack of perspective seems counter-productive
there isn't anything about the complaints about crime or police recruitment/retention, et al in New Orleans that wouldn't be found in every Nextdoor or subreddit or city-based message board in this country
this is a national multi-pronged issue that won't be fixed by local bandaids and certainly not by the 4th or 5th instance of pearl-clutching white flight

i do marvel at the 'this is the most gun riddled country on the planet so the obvious solution is more guns'
it's insanity
imagine a state that suffers from flooding pouring money into levee rebuilding and wetlands restoration while simultaneously fostering Oil & Gas - nuts, i tell you

i don't mind complaints against Cantrell - she seems rather feckless
but the lack of perspective seems counter-productive
there isn't anything about the complaints about crime or police recruitment/retention, et al in New Orleans that wouldn't be found in every Nextdoor or subreddit or city-based message board in this country
this is a national multi-pronged issue that won't be fixed by local bandaids and certainly not by the 4th or 5th instance of pearl-clutching white flight

i do marvel at the 'this is the most gun riddled country on the planet so the obvious solution is more guns'
it's insanity
imagine a state that suffers from flooding pouring money into levee rebuilding and wetlands restoration while simultaneously fostering Oil & Gas - nuts, i tell you
The City Council disagrees . Cantrell needs more transparency and quit going on trips.

The City Council disagrees . Cantrell needs more transparency and quit going on trips.
that's not anywhere close to the point i was arguing
Cantrell richly deserves scorn
BUT
i'm giving you an imaginary lab, you get to create a FrankenMayor - what can that mayor do to significantly change the circumstances in NO?

BUT
i'm giving you an imaginary lab, you get to create a FrankenMayor - what can that mayor do to significantly change the circumstances in NO?
Acknowledge her faults? That would be a start. She has done some good but she has also done some bad. Correct the bad.

BUT

1) Quit MF-ing every person that disagrees with her about anything. I know 10+ who have personally been told to go ____ themselves by the mayor and I'm a nobody. NOLA mayors are sometimes a little isolated from the rest of the state/federal delegation but she is way out on her own island. Won't work with anyone, wont listen to anyone.

2) In her own words, humble herself. Her Trumpian BS is actually sort of hilarious, if you can remove yourself from the equation and forget that she's in charge of where I live. Give a straight answer every once in awhile.

3) Follow the blueprint her own transition team put together years ago, long since forgotten. It had dozens of recommendations on everything from overhaul of SWB to making sure we don't miss out on hundreds of millions of katrina road funds by leaving projects incomplete (too late). There aren't too many cities that can say their broken traffic and streetlights go unfixed for YEARS. She just blames COVID and "the great resignation".

4) Hire someone to track and apply for all the various funding streams in the infrastructure bill. The state has been doing this and has earmarked projects to spend federal dollars. The City (as of 3 months ago) had no idea how to even find out whats in it.

5) Don't sit with the family of a carjacker and snub the families of his victims, even if he's been thru one of your pet project programs.

6) Leave the "marketing" of the City to those who tourists might actually want to listen to.

I've got about 120 more but it all basically requires her to not be her.

how is that relevant? If sending him to juvie raises the chances of him being a career criminal than his odds of getting killed doing something criminal actually go up (if you are really concerned about his future)
The juvenile program doesn't sound like it works too well. Maybe incarceration will be a better deterrent. Letting the kid off the hook will only get him killed.

The juvenile program doesn't sound like it works too well. Maybe incarceration will be a better deterrent. Letting the kid off the hook will only get him killed.
Until you realize that around 80% of kids who go to juvie become adult criminals. Also, I believe the program he attended was after the crime, not before so there is no way to judge its effectiveness yet

Also, who said anything about letting him off the hook? I specifically said closely monitored probation with hoops to jump through.

But sure....let's lock him up and pretty much guarantee he becomes a career criminal

Until you realize that around 80% of kids who go to juvie become adult criminals. Also, I believe the program he attended was after the crime, not before so there is no way to judge its effectiveness yet

Also, who said anything about letting him off the hook? I specifically said closely monitored probation with hoops to jump through.

But sure....let's lock him up and pretty much guarantee he becomes a career criminal
The kids parent(s) should be held accountable also. This isn't only on him. These stories remind me of a 16 year old girl that was shot and killed here a couple years ago. She was shot at 1am downtown. What is a 16 year old doing downtown at 1am? Saw the news broadcast and the mom pointed her finger at everyone but herself.

1) Quit MF-ing every person that disagrees with her about anything. I know 10+ who have personally been told to go ____ themselves by the mayor and I'm a nobody. NOLA mayors are sometimes a little isolated from the rest of the state/federal delegation but she is way out on her own island. Won't work with anyone, wont listen to anyone.

2) In her own words, humble herself. Her Trumpian BS is actually sort of hilarious, if you can remove yourself from the equation and forget that she's in charge of where I live. Give a straight answer every once in awhile.

3) Follow the blueprint her own transition team put together years ago, long since forgotten. It had dozens of recommendations on everything from overhaul of SWB to making sure we don't miss out on hundreds of millions of katrina road funds by leaving projects incomplete (too late). There aren't too many cities that can say their broken traffic and streetlights go unfixed for YEARS. She just blames COVID and "the great resignation".

4) Hire someone to track and apply for all the various funding streams in the infrastructure bill. The state has been doing this and has earmarked projects to spend federal dollars. The City (as of 3 months ago) had no idea how to even find out whats in it.

5) Don't sit with the family of a carjacker and snub the families of his victims, even if he's been thru one of your pet project programs.

6) Leave the "marketing" of the City to those who tourists might actually want to listen to.

I've got about 120 more but it all basically requires her to not be her.
You were smart not to take the bait, but it doesn’t come close to answering my question, unless you’re claiming that bizarro Cantrell would turn the city around and everything would be fixed

You were smart not to take the bait, but it doesn’t come close to answering my question, unless you’re claiming that bizarro Cantrell would turn the city around and everything would be fixed
You asked what the mayor could do to significantly change the circumstances. Nobody is going to “fix everything”.

I would settle for getting us out of the ditch

Did she just play the race card to justify her travels? It’s really hard to interpret her ramblings.
I dont think ive ever seen a more incompetent person in public office. And the arrogance is mindboggling. What's sad is that she's probably gonna get some sort of pension from the city for life. NOLA saddens me so much.

As far as the race card, its the only card she holds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom