Just another day in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

I don't think anyone is "blaming" the victims.

At least I'm not- I'm simply trying to understand why you would bring a gun to an area that has had a rash of break-ins, knowing you can't take your gun into Dome, so forced to leave in car.

I mean, would you leave $600 in cash in your console because you know you won't need it in the dome? Hell no. If the Dome said you can't bring in that much cash, then chances are you don't even leave home with that amount of cash. That's kinda where I'm at right now with trying to understand why bring anything of value with you ( that you can't take with you into Dome )
What if the Dome isn't the only place I intend to go to? What if I'm worried about getting carjacked at a red light? or while at a gas station? Or while getting out of my car to go into a store? Should I plan my entire life around the fact that I may get robbed at any moment and the police don't care? Your example of leaving cash in your car makes no sense because you aren't forbidden to carry that on your person everywhere. You are looking at appeasement when you start dictating to the law abiding about how they should act and not at the law breakers and what to do about them.

if petty criminals break 100 cars and come away with maybe $50 in loose change vs 100 cars and coming away with $50 loose change and 8 handguns, what scenario would slow the rate of break ins?

its not hard. No one is protecting themselves with their gun left in car when going to Dome. So the only point in time that the gun can provide some sort of protection is when you are in it, driving. And then, how likely are you going to need while driving?

I mean if the gun cost you $600, why bring with you in car knowing full well the rash of car break ins? They aint breaking into cars while people are sitting in them...its all crime of opportunity. Game on, streets basically empty ( not much foot traffic )

idk I just don't get why you bring something that valuable ( and dangerous if stolen ) to an area you already know has a security problem. That's really all I'm talking about.

If that's the actual difference, maybe so. I'm familiar with waves of catalytic converter theft, even in brazen circumstances, including broad daylight, and tire theft, so I'm seeing it from the standpoint that criminals will steal what they can get their hands on as long as they can get away with it.

Fewer guns getting stolen is a good thing but the very reason people are more likely to carry guns is because of rampant criminal activity. So whether it's a good idea or not, this seems like a self-propelling problem, at this point.

What if the Dome isn't the only place I intend to go to? What if I'm worried about getting carjacked at a red light? or while at a gas station? Or while getting out of my car to go into a store? Should I plan my entire life around the fact that I may get robbed at any moment and the police don't care? Your example of leaving cash in your car makes no sense because you aren't forbidden to carry that on your person everywhere. You are looking at appeasement when you start dictating to the law abiding about how they should act and not at the law breakers and what to do about them.

its not appeasement...its simply being smart.

Im not dictating anything other than being smart. If folks want to continue to store their guns in their center console or glove box, that's on them. A car is not a home. Can't confuse the two.

As for getting robbed...if you are walking to your car, what good is that gun doing for you in your car? none. that's kinda my point. You are leaving a valuable in your car. Those same people don't leave a MacBook on seat or their expensive watch in car, for fear it would be stolen. So why not same for their gun?

its not appeasement...its simply being smart.

Im not dictating anything other than being smart. If folks want to continue to store their guns in their center console or glove box, that's on them. A car is not a home. Can't confuse the two.

As for getting robbed...if you are walking to your car, what good is that gun doing for you in your car? none. that's kinda my point. You are leaving a valuable in your car. Those same people don't leave a MacBook on seat or their expensive watch in car, for fear it would be stolen. So why not same for their gun?
I don't think you are going to have to worry about which is right decision because as this gets worse, you will get fewer out of towners, and not just those from out of state but those that like to jump down to NOLA for the weekend. Those people are going to stop coming. I hope all the local residents continue to go to events held in NOLA because eventually, that's all you're going to see.

if petty criminals break 100 cars and come away with maybe $50 in loose change vs 100 cars and coming away with $50 loose change and 8 handguns, what scenario would slow the rate of break ins?

its not hard. No one is protecting themselves with their gun left in car when going to Dome. So the only point in time that the gun can provide some sort of protection is when you are in it, driving. And then, how likely are you going to need while driving?

I mean if the gun cost you $600, why bring with you in car knowing full well the rash of car break ins? They aint breaking into cars while people are sitting in them...its all crime of opportunity. Game on, streets basically empty ( not much foot traffic )

idk I just don't get why you bring something that valuable ( and dangerous if stolen ) to an area you already know has a security problem. That's really all I'm talking about.
I agree with your premise, but I do believe there are gun safes you can install in your vehicle that would make it really difficult to steal. And they're concealed well enough that most people trying to break into a car won't know to look for it. They'll steal your other sheet, but not the gun.

Most of the time, they steal anything that isn't nailed down and aren't gonna waste time if they don't know it's there.

My sister and her husband has had their two cars broken into EIGHT times next to their house in the last 1.5 years, zero guns stolen. These pieces of crap aren't just looking for guns, they are a bonus. The problem is zero law enforcement and zero repercussions for violent crime.

I don’t think this is necessarily accurate

You don't think people are more likely to want to carry guns where they feel like they are in greater danger of being a victim of crime, real or perceived? Don't misunderstand, I know a lot of people are carrying guns with them, regardless, but fear only drives this.

You don't think people are more likely to want to carry guns where they feel like they are in greater danger of being a victim of crime, real or perceived? Don't misunderstand, I know a lot of people are carrying guns with them, regardless, but fear only drives this.
Fear? Yes
Crime? Not necessarily

Yep, I was gonna say crime breeds fear.
People get scared of fluoride and commies and fentanyl in Halloween candy and gay characters in books and illegal aliens and Judaism and ufo aliens and tattoos and human sexuality and so so so many things
Of course I am not saying that a rise in crime has no effect on gun purchases, but overall it’s not the main reason people buy/have guns - like actual crime

Yep, I was gonna say crime breeds fear.

It's human nature. Threats are perceived and instinct is to avoid those threats or prepare to defend against them.

It's a difficult situation for New Orleans and other places. We can deep dive into all the social causes and reasoning, necessary as that is in trying to understand problems and search for answers, but the more immediate effect is people make choices. They move, they change travel or social habits, or quit visiting cities or areas of cities they once felt safe(r) in, they arm themselves. Those decisions can have resulting economic ramifications that hurt people and businesses, including people who are least able to navigate those changes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom