Just another day in New Orleans (2 Viewers)

I live in a pretty nice block for Orleans Parish and we've been hit 3 times since 2020. Plus a murder down the street at the edge of the park for good measure.

The only advantage that the truly wealthy have is the option to pick up and leave to one of their other homes and keep their NOLA pad for Mardi Gras and JazzFest. But even most of the 'richer' people in New Orleans are tethered here by a job and salary and are getting hit by the same wave as everyone else.

I was in Lakeview til we sold our house a couple years back.. ive been noticing in the news lately a ton of car break-ins and even some carjackings there.. so what CCS said is true in most cities, but in NOLA it’s a whole different deal- even in what are considered the nicest areas of NOLA proper- truly no one is immune to this crap .

I'm not really familiar with where you live but most places, crime and other desirable things where the rich live is pretty low.

For example, I live in San Diego. The homeless situation here is out of control. Most coastal towns/neighborhoods are flooded with homeless people. Coronado Island (where the rich live) has almost none. Occasionally you'll see one roaming around but not often. La Jolla, despite being right next to Pacific Beach where they are everywhere, has almost none.

There are no gates to keep the homeless from venturing between PB & La Jolla. You know what Coronado & La Jolla both have? Their own police force.

I guarantee you that if burglars and car jackers started targeting residents of La Jolla and Coronado, there would be a much different response. Not that San Diego has much of that in the first place but Los Angeles definitely does. If car jackers started lying in wait in Beverly Hills instead of other more central locations, car jackings would decline immediately.

Since youre not as familiar with New Orleans - the areas where Sparkle mentioned he lives, and the area where I lived - have traditionally been the two areas of NOLA where a family can live relatively crime free.. but no longer .

I am also going to add that the LDOI needs to be a little more selective in allowing companies to operate in Louisiana that do not have the proper financial strength (Demotech vs AM Best). In a time where beggars cannot be choosers, the LDOI absolutely needs stronger criteria or we are going to be right back in this same situation every 3-5 years.

I just saw the last financials for one of the "new" carriers and they had $15M in Surplus. Demotech is a joke. For $50 I could get my Agency a Demotech Rating.

LDI is run by commissioner who is elected.

nuff said...if its an election year and his re-election hinges on competitive markets/multiple carriers - ratings be damned.

But i also have to imagine that in the years post Katrina, attracting an AM BEST A carrier to return was near impossible. So left with little to no avenues.

Raising rates may have helped, but again...see "election" lol

But yes, moving fwd, its imperative that the carriers all maintain AM BEST rating or we will simply rinse/repeat.

.. so what CCS said is true in most cities, but in NOLA it’s a whole different deal- even in what are considered the nicest areas of NOLA proper- truly no one is immune to this crap .
Yeah, absolutely. NOLA is very different than most other cities in its patchwork design...perhaps not totally unique, but close. The distance between multi-million dollar homes and places where you can get a gun stuck in your ear is remarkably short.

Since youre not as familiar with New Orleans - the areas where Sparkle mentioned he lives, and the area where I lived - have traditionally been the two areas of NOLA where a family can live relatively crime free.. but no longer .
i'd like to see raw numbers on this
i'm pretty sure it remains the case that most (like 80%) CRIME is still those where victim and assailant know each other
and by and large 'we're' mostly fine with that
we only notice when it drifts out of its borders
no area of town is immune to spasms of crime from time to time - before Covid i remember the university area was hit with maybe 5 major incidents. but that seemed to fade as fast as it started
obviously the Quarter will always be high bc tourists are so target rich
we're clearly in an uptick in random/property crimes, but it remains to be seen if you and Sparkle are right that 'NICE' areas are part of the wave - or are the incidents that y'all cite just 'spasms' that can happen any time/place (or the parties know each other like in Sparkle's post)
i think overall CCS is probably correct that crimes of desperation are targeted at middle class neighborhoods and upper class stays mostly above it all

i'd also be very curious to see if that fact that NO has so much more street parking than many other cities makes car crimes so much more attractive

Yeah, absolutely. NOLA is very different than most other cities in its patchwork design...perhaps not totally unique, but close. The distance between multi-million dollar homes and places where you can get a gun stuck in your ear is remarkably short.
i'd say Garden District and 'nice' parts of Mid City are vulnerable to that but Audubon and especially Lakeview not as much

i'm pretty sure it remains the case that most (like 80%) CRIME is still those where victim and assailant know each other
no area of town is immune to spasms of crime from time to time - before Covid i remember the university area was hit with maybe 5 major incidents. but that seemed to fade as fast as it started
we're clearly in an uptick in random/property crimes, but it remains to be seen if you and Sparkle are right that 'NICE' areas are part of the wave - or are the incidents that y'all cite just 'spasms' that can happen any time/place (or the parties know each other like in Sparkle's post)
i think overall CCS is probably correct that crimes of desperation are targeted at middle class neighborhoods and upper class stays mostly above it all

i'd also be very curious to see if that fact that NO has so much more street parking than many other cities makes car crimes so much more attractive

You just cant help urself, gotta be contrarian . :hihi:

I dont have statistics to back up this particular assertion- but if you took a pole[tm] of everyone on here who lives in NOLA or is originally from NOLA and asked them to name the “safe” parts of the City- id put quite a bit of money on the top two answers consistently being Uptown and Lakeview.. and that answer would probably be the same not just 5 yrs ago, but 25 or 30 yrs ago, and probabaly all my life…. Now, would we all be wrong ? Maybe, i guess that’s what youre getting at, that the traditional views most of us have long held in re to NOLA crime are perhaps Incorrect ? And i guess the same could be said about CCS’ views on Beverly Hills… though, ive lived in Los Angeles too and feel certain she’s correct about how Beverly Hills has long fared vs crime (and id add Bel Air, Hancock Park, Brentwood , Malibu and some others).. just as i feel fairly certain about Lakeview and Uptown.. not trying to be elitist, ive also lived in the Warehouse Dist of New Orleans, and in Gentilly and in the burbs.. just relating my views on where most crime in NOLA has traditionally gone down .

3a9e7936-9679-4335-b9e0-49d66f9e26af-jpeg.184665

Attachments

• 3A9E7936-9679-4335-B9E0-49D66F9E26AF.jpeg
    3A9E7936-9679-4335-B9E0-49D66F9E26AF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
Also, not NO but someone brought up DC earlier and is on topic:

We'll start seeing more of this, too.
That's not the first time it's happened. When I lived in DC, there were a couple of similar cases. Kids there are stealing cars constantly.

You just cant help urself, gotta be contrarian . :hihi:

I dont have statistics to back up this particular assertion- but if you took a pole[tm] of everyone on here who lives in NOLA or is originally from NOLA and asked them to name the “safe” parts of the City- id put quite a bit of money on the top two answers consistently being Uptown and Lakeview.. and that answer would probably be the same not just 5 yrs ago, but 25 or 30 yrs ago, and probabaly all my life…. Now, would we all be wrong ? Maybe, i guess that’s what youre getting at, that the traditional views most of us have long held in re to NOLA crime are perhaps Incorrect ? And i guess the same could be said about CCS’ views on Beverly Hills… though, ive lived in Los Angeles too and feel certain she’s correct about how Beverly Hills has long fared vs crime (and id add Bel Air, Hancock Park, Brentwood , Malibu and some others).. just as i feel fairly certain about Lakeview and Uptown.. not trying to be elitist, ive also lived in the Warehouse Dist of New Orleans, and in Gentilly and in the burbs.. just relating my views on where most crime in NOLA has traditionally gone down .
i like to think of it as supplementing the conversation:tiphat:
but no, i'm saying those areas are traditionally the safe areas and remain so
the random things remain random and will fade

On the street parking thing, DC is nearly all residential street parking. Probably 1 out of 10 townhouses have off-street or garage parking. Auto theft in DC has been a problem for decades. Just comes with the territory when living there.

On the street parking thing, DC is nearly all residential street parking. Probably 1 out of 10 townhouses have off-street or garage parking. Auto theft in DC has been a problem for decades. Just comes with the territory when living there.
It’s very prevalent in San Francisco and usually committed by homeless/drug addicts breaking in to steal spare change or things they can pawn for money for drugs.

The burden became too great on the police force and jails that the SFPD has a strict ‘no pursuit’ policy if they encounter someone breaking into a car.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom