Just can't envison Wide Reciever not being BPA at #24 in almost any scenario. (1 Viewer)

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Im preparing myself for a DR type meltdown/letdown if they reach for a player with so many great wr prospects available.

I can't see how they justify anything other than a wr unless a top QB falls (hopefully not Jordan Love).

If they reach for a defender over a better wr player like they did in 2014 with Stanley Jean-Baptiste I might just lose my mind.

I know some would argue Murray or Queen but is any linebacker in rd 1 as talented or would have more of an impact than Chase Claypool, Leviska Shenault, or Denzel Mims?

Im preparing myself for a DR type meltdown if they reach for a player with so many great wr prospects available.

I can't see how they justify anything other than a wr unless a top QB falls (hopefully not Jordan Love).

If they reach for a defender over a better wr player like they did in 2014 with Stanley Jean-Baptiste I might just lose my mind.

I know some would argue Murray or Queen but is any linebacker in rd 1 as talented or would have more of an impact than Chase Claypool, Leviska Shenault, or Denzel Mims?

A good thought. But in terms of your question, I think Queen or Murray would play more than a WR, who will be the third WR in the offense, after Thomas and Sanders. Because of that, I'd argue that either LB would have more of an impact over the course of the season.

Btw, DR is going to melt down regardless of who is selected.

BTW, Payton is already talking about going oline in the draft which leads me to believe that's where they are leaning which is why im stressed out.

A good thought. But in terms of your question, I think Queen or Murray would play more than a WR, who will be the third WR in the offense, after Thomas and Sanders. Because of that, I'd argue that either LB would have more of an impact over the course of the season.

Btw, DR is going to melt down regardless of who is selected.
In 2009 our 3 top wrs had over 700 receiving yards but I get what you are saying. We lost Ginn and Kirkwood and outside of our top two guys the position is still pretty shaky.

They did target a LB (Jamie Collins) but missed out so an inside lb definitely might still be in play.

I just worry that Queen and Murray

1) aren't as talented
2)arent as big as a drop off from Logan Wilson in rd 3 as it is from top rd 1 wrs to rd 3 wrs.

When SP says it’s a WR rich draft, it looks like WR won’t be the pick in the 1st. However, I personally feel like we need to get back to the high powered offense that we once had. I’m talking about the offense that didn’t fail to score on the first 3-4 drives or failed to get anything going until late 1st/2nd quarter. But I’m not the GM, so I’ll defer to the ones making the decisions. Plus, with this virtual draft, I’m expecting a “safe” selection in the 1st. No room for “reaching” or errors.

Usually in drafts that are deep in one or more spots that spots are drafted later. For example this year is deep in WR. As a result teams figure they can get a good WR later so they draft other positions first. I actually think there won't be as many WRs in the first round as everyone is predicting.

Before signing Sanders i would agree but the need at LB cant be ignored , even injury free we need help at that position, and injury is an issue at that position
We needed corners in 2014 too and picked a reach in rd 2 over guys like Allen Robinson.

That's my worry.

Wide receivers also carry more positional value financially.

I wouldn't mind taking two linenackers, I just question taking one in rd 1 over these great talents at wr.

Yes, I think so, I like the 3 available linebackers a lot. I also like McKinney and I Marlon Davidson for sure will be available. All can greatly contribute since day 1.

To me, the surprise may be getting a running back. We can pick and choose any of the top prospects if we decide to go that way.

And certainly, I would not be against getting a receiver. If Ruggs by chance is there (and he won't), you just have to take him.

It is a matter of opinions and evaluations, but yes, I can see talented defensive guys coming and contributing from day one.

I also think we might be more run-oriented than in years past, so targeting another OL makes sense to me. Two of our linemen get hurt frequently and drafting adequate depth there, even in the first round, is wise.

You mentioned Chase Claypool, Leviska Shenault, or Denzel Mims, but I don't think they are any better prospects than Queen or Murray. We'll pick a WR in the WR-rich draft, but it won't be in round 1.

In 2009 our 3 top wrs had over 700 receiving yards but I get what you are saying. We lost Ginn and Kirkwood and outside of our top two guys the position is still pretty shaky.

They did target a LB (Jamie Collins) but missed out so an inside lb definitely might still be in play.

I just worry that Queen and Murray

1) aren't as talented
2)arent as big as a drop off from Logan Wilson in rd 3 as it is from top rd 1 wrs to rd 3 wrs.

But, I guess the question is whether the drop off at LB is just as steep or steeper than the drop of at WR in the 3rd round. And, I think both positions are at similar levels of need, although LB is probably a bigger need because our starters at WR are better than our starters at LB, and our starting LBs have many more injury concerns than the starting WRs.

I'm all for BPA, but I think part of that equation is that all things being close to equal in talent, you have to next look at need and what the drop off is to the next few players at that position will be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom