Just found out I have an 18yr old son (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I meet him for the first time in a few months. We've texted several times over the past few weeks. What would you folks ask him to put him at ease when we first meet? I don't want him to feel awkward or for it to be weird so Im trying to think of things to say to keep the conversation going?

Please and Thanks.

Should I start off with..Is your mom still single and do you have any recent pics of her? LOL

Britney-Spears-Cringe-Face.gif

How did you find out about him? I think a little context and information about your current communication with him might help provide some direction for your meeting.

Whew!! Completely dodged that child support bullet! She's gotta be quicker than that! I kid. But I think you'll have plenty to say or at least ask, given how he's 18 and you probably don't know much about him overall. Ask whatever comes to mind. I don't think you should be worrying about easing his mind in this case as much as just straight up getting to know your boy. If all else fails, talk about your Saints.

I meet him for the first time in a few months. We've texted several times over the past few weeks. What would you folks ask him to put him at ease when we first meet? I don't want him to feel awkward or for it to be weird so Im trying to think of things to say to keep the conversation going?

Please and Thanks.

Just get it out of the way..."Let's see you cook some chili"

Bring him a Teddy Bear and some PJ's.

I'm sure this isn't what the OP intended. Don't worry, it'll get serious at some point.

Approach carefully!

You really don't know what's the motivation on his side to find you... Depends largely on what his Mom told him. There's your story, her story, what he believes and then the truth. This could be very difficult to untangle.

Nothing would please me more than to have you come here in a couple of months to tell us he is an ideal son and that the relationship between the both of you has deeply enriched your lives as well as those around you...That would be great.

But just be cautious and temper your expectations...My BIL ran into a nearly identical scenario 5-7yrs ago. Long story short, the kid was seemingly looking for a positive re-connection and my BIL was very eager to make up lost time. There were some good moments, but things led to requested "assistance" and ultimately a co-sign on a very nice house in Florida that was soon trashed and abandoned by the son who then moved to Colorado. Disappointing on many levels...especially to BIL and my sis who had to deal with this all (dual house notes, trying to sell the house from La, etc).

The dollars involved were significant, but over time that washes away. However, the pain of unmet expectations still sting today.

If he could call a Mulligan, I think things would be approached differently.

Good luck...and I really hope he is a rabid Who Dat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom