Just found out I have an 18yr old son (1 Viewer)

How did you find out about him? I think a little context and information about your current communication with him might help provide some direction for your meeting.

Im mom passed away. My brother and i were going through her pictures and found some baby pic..with my mom holding a baby..and my highschool girlfriend..we started looking for her on facebook and i asked her..she indeed told me he was mine. I was a horrible kid in highschool so everyone kept it from me. Thats a whole nother story..lol

The ex said i could reach out to him on instagram so i did. Hes asked questions like..How come your family never told you..where do you live..small chat

Well..he is a packers fan..he talked alot of crap about the saints defense..so i guess were breaking the ice.

He also has a scholarship to AZ for linebacker..Waay cool

k, this all makes more sense (sorry to hear about your mom) but crazy that family kept this from you

. Thats a whole nother story..lol

we got time

The ex said i could reach out to him on instagram so i did. Hes asked questions like..How come your family never told you..where do you live..small chat

maybe just let him lead it - go off of his curiosity and fill in details as he asks

also have some family history stuff at your ready - he might not care about the stuff now, but later he'll want to know about medical history and the like

good luck

Just be honest with him. The last thing you want to happen is for him to catch you in a lie, no matter insignificant.

Is he smart or is he like-------. just explain to him how you were and tell him you are sorry you were not there for him when he was growing up.

Attachments

• forrestgump.jpg
    forrestgump.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 168
I have no experience or expertise in dealing with this type of situation, so take what I say through that lens. But these are my thoughts on the situation.

Decide what level of relationship you want with him, and don't try to rush getting there. If he's going to play ball at Arizona, maybe try and get to a game or two. Football may be the perfect shared interest to form the relationship around.

It also sounds like there will probably be some unresolved issues for both of you to deal with. People in both of your lives seeing fit to not share who you were with him, or that he even existed from you is, if not yet, going to cause some level of disappointment, anger, and resentment for both of you. Make sure you don't assign it to each other, and get some professional help in dealing with it if it grows to large.

Above all else, just be honest and decent to him and ask the same from him. Even if no relationship of consequence develops from this discovery, you now know about each other, and some form of contact going forward is inevitable. Only you two can decide what that will be. Good luck with it all.

PS: Don't hook up with the EX. That only works out in movies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom