Just getting into bass fishing (Help) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just started getting back into bass fishing since I was 13 now 27. I bought a boat recently because I got it for a great deal 16ft skeeter with a 90hp Yamaha.

Now on to my question. I am trying to pick out my rods and reels for all the different kinds of fishing i could do. (spinnerbait, crankbait, texas rigged worms and creatures, flipping etc.)

So far I have 2 rods and three reels.

My first rod and reel I have given to me as a gift is.
Academy - Abu Garcia® Blue Max / 6'6" MH Freshwater/Saltwater Baitcast Rod and Reel Combo

My second reel is a ambassaduer 6500C older model my dad gave me.

My second rod is a shakespear excalibur 6 foot 6 inch MH ($15 at walmart)

My third reel is a H2o mettle I bought last week on sale. Academy - H2O XPRESS

My dad tells me I should have atleast 6 rods and reels to cover any situation you get into. I also read this here Selecting Rods and Reels | The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide® LLC

First I have been looking at this rod online any one know if its a good rod http://www.cabelas.com/casting-rods-berkley-lightning-rod-shock-casting-rods.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02740401&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=E1CC62CB-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=5855056944&mr:keyword={keyword}

Second How would you set up your rods and reels, also how many (basically any details or advice you would like to give me would be much appreciated.)

Rule #1: 90% of the time you get exactly what you pay for.

With odds like that, and depending how serious you are about your bass fishing, its best that you stick with whats proven.

Spend the extra money and get what you know will last. You won't beat Abu Garcia or Shimano reels. They last a lifetime with a little routine maintenance.
Last year I past on 2 Abu Garcia 4600C3s to my 9y/o son. I paid $50 each for them in the mid - late 1980s. That was a lot of money for a reel back then. They have outlasted a few Bass Pro reels and are still rock solid.

The last few years I have been really impressed with the Abu Garcia Revo series. I have 2 Revo S's that I really like. If you search around online you can find them for $99 delivered. That's a steal!!!!

Since you are just getting into it- I'd say pick up some of the combo sets at Bass Pro, Cabella's or Academy. They are nothing special, but good all around / cheap rods($100)- those are what I use most of the time, and use all different types of baits. It may not be the "correct" way to fish, but it's the easiest and cheapest for now. Doing it that way you won't sink a lot of money into it until you know what type of fishing you really like to do and get the setups that work best for that.

If possible- get Abu Garcia, they are great. My first combo set I got when I was in high school (over 10 years ago) finally broke a few months back. I couldn't tell you how many fish I caught on that thing.

Ill 2nd that. You do get what you pay for. Typically all I buy is Shimano ( Curados and Chronarchs) I did get a Revo S a few months ago and put on it on a micro guide Veritas and I really do like it.

Ill 2nd that. You do get what you pay for. Typically all I buy is Shimano ( Curados and Chronarchs) I did get a Revo S a few months ago and put on it on a micro guide Veritas and I really do like it.

Curados are about all that I use.

There is a one ball bearing difference between the curado and the citica. My advice would be to save the money. I have had citica's for the past 7 years and no problems. What ever you buy just make sure it is shimano. Every other real out on the market is trying to copy what shimano does. Worked in the Academy fishing department for over 3 years so I have taken apart almost every reel they sell. (Also I bought my the extra ball bearing to put into my Citica's and make them the same as the Curado's Saved a ton of money.)

As far as rods go I am a Falcon. I would stay away from the Shimano rods. Over priced and not as good as the reals. Shimano is a gear making company. The falcon Low Rider series are a great start but if you want a little more sensitivity go with the Cara models. I can sit here and talk about fishing rods and reels all day but just wanted to point out what I am using. Castaway makes a really good inexpensive rod.

There is a one ball bearing difference between the curado and the citica. My advice would be to save the money. I have had citica's for the past 7 years and no problems. What ever you buy just make sure it is shimano. Every other real out on the market is trying to copy what shimano does. Worked in the Academy fishing department for over 3 years so I have taken apart almost every reel they sell. (Also I bought my the extra ball bearing to put into my Citica's and make them the same as the Curado's Saved a ton of money.)

As far as rods go I am a Falcon. I would stay away from the Shimano rods. Over priced and not as good as the reals. Shimano is a gear making company. The falcon Low Rider series are a great start but if you want a little more sensitivity go with the Cara models. I can sit here and talk about fishing rods and reels all day but just wanted to point out what I am using. Castaway makes a really good inexpensive rod.

Def second the falcon rods, although I do have some St. Croixs as well and like them.

Well i went get 2 rods today both berkely lighting rod shock's. I know I know i get what i pay for lol.

My thinking behind it was this gives me three full sets to start out. I eventually want to get three more setups and I have been giving the citica and revo s a hard look. So in the next couple weeks im hoping I can try out one of the reels listed above and a falcon rod. And slowly and surely get three more setups actually worth a darn. then keep fishing the good combos and the cheap ones untill the cheap ones break and I replace it with good combos.

Thanks fellas any other advice for a starting bass fisherman let me know!

Well i went get 2 rods today both berkely lighting rod shock's. I know I know i get what i pay for lol.

My thinking behind it was this gives me three full sets to start out. I eventually want to get three more setups and I have been giving the citica and revo s a hard look. So in the next couple weeks im hoping I can try out one of the reels listed above and a falcon rod. And slowly and surely get three more setups actually worth a darn. then keep fishing the good combos and the cheap ones untill the cheap ones break and I replace it with good combos.

Thanks fellas any other advice for a starting bass fisherman let me know!
Learn to fish a worm if you don't already know how. Works when nothing else will.

Yea i used to hate fishing a worm when i was a kid because i was to active for that i used to only fish spinnerbaits. Now that im older i have a lot more patience and I have been doing pretty good with the worm, sometimes i feel as if i dont have fast enough reflexes when i feel the bite though.

ditto on learn the worm, hated it as a kid- always use it now.

it's not always being fast when they bite a worm- let them take it and run for a second. If it's just a passing fast bite might just be some bream nibbling at the tail.

Another bait I've had a lot success with lately is a rapala jointed-suspended crank bait....
Jointed Shad Rap®
(size 04, brown crawdad)

They have a little gif at the bottom that shows the swimming action- I also throw in a little pull every now and then to change up the action, and if you hit structure just stop it for half a second and any bass that was following will tear it up.

They are very expensive so make sure you are comfortable casting it a lot when you go- don't want to be throwing those things up into the trees.

Also I'd pick up one of these:

E-Z Lure Retriever | Bass Pro Shops

The price of baits is getting to high to just pop the line when they get hung up underwater, I got one a couple years ago and it's already paid for itself a few times.

I don't do a lot of bass fishing but here lately they have turned on big time..The lure that we have been catching them on is the KVD Strike King sexy shad..Also the fire tiger has been good to me..Since lately my normal catfish bait has been scarce(skipjack and shad) I've had to seek out other baits and here in TN you can legaly use a sport fish as bait as long as its caught on rod and reel and is legal size. So...............

546738_2802175792914_2098059463_n.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom