Just got a 4K TV...any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

RazorSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've held off because there's still precious little 4k programming, but some of the holiday deals were almost too good to pass up (and my 7 year old 720P was starting to look its age).

Any suggestions on streaming shows that will show the true value of 4k?

The only place I know to get 4K content is YouTubes, but I don’t pay attention to that sort of stuff so there could be plenty more options.

What TV did you get?

Have em all thru the house, which is dumb as I’m blind and my wife doesn’t watch TV much. ?

Anyhow, Netflix has a huge amount. 4K, HDR (they’re different) and Dolby Vision.
Directv has nothing compared to Netflix as far as programming. It is neat to see the occasional sports in 4K on Directv tho.

As well as I can. ?

My friends tell me it’s beautiful lol.

Enjoy.

The only place I know to get 4K content is YouTubes, but I don’t pay attention to that sort of stuff so there could be plenty more options.

What TV did you get?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...h-hdr-fire-tv-edition/6245800.p?skuId=6245800

I replaced my old 55" Insignia with a new one. I think it gives a lot of bang for the buck.
Directv has some good 4K.

Netflix too I believe.

Yeah, I my DTV reciever isn't 4k compatible so they're coming out next week to install new equipment. They only have a channel or two of 4k programming. Disappointed Sunday Ticket isn't in 4k yet. I'll probably look for a good 4k nature show on Netflix or something.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...h-hdr-fire-tv-edition/6245800.p?skuId=6245800

I replaced my old 55" Insignia with a new one. I think it gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Yeah, I my DTV reciever isn't 4k compatible so they're coming out next week to install new equipment. They only have a channel or two of 4k programming. Disappointed Sunday Ticket isn't in 4k yet. I'll probably look for a good 4k nature show on Netflix or something.

DTV typically has a full time 4K channel (nature and machine shows for the most part) a 4K pay per view movie channel, and a special events (not pay per view) channel that isn’t full time - but has sports and concerts.

Watching a big EPL game is awesome. We have watched some great concerts too.

I've held off because there's still precious little 4k programming, but some of the holiday deals were almost too good to pass up (and my 7 year old 720P was starting to look its age).

Any suggestions on streaming shows that will show the true value of 4k?
People already mentioned Netflix content.

But honestly, short of a UHD blu ray player, if you have the Youtube app(or any way to get a solid connection to Youtube on the TV) search for some 4k nature videos, typically the ones that have buzzwords signifying ultra high picture quality(there are a ton) that is what I did with my LG C8 and that has still been the best, jaw dropping showcase picture I have seen other than UHD blu rays. Of course it's more a novelty than something you spend hours watching, but if you want to see what the thing can do...

not really related to content - but make sure you are monitoring your data usage - streaming in 4k uses more data and you don't want to get burned on overage charges

not really related to content - but make sure you are monitoring your data usage - streaming in 4k uses more data and you don't want to get burned on overage charges

That is a wonderful point.
It’s put us close a few times as we do stream.

My electric coop ran fiber last year and now offers gigabit internet for what I was paying Cox for 50 mb (approx 80/mo) with no data limit. It's amazing.
People already mentioned Netflix content.

But honestly, short of a UHD blu ray player, if you have the Youtube app(or any way to get a solid connection to Youtube on the TV) search for some 4k nature videos, typically the ones that have buzzwords signifying ultra high picture quality(there are a ton) that is what I did with my LG C8 and that has still been the best, jaw dropping showcase picture I have seen other than UHD blu rays. Of course it's more a novelty than something you spend hours watching, but if you want to see what the thing can do...

Thanks I'll try that.

If you have Amazon Prime, there’s a fair amount of 4K on prime for free.

My electric coop ran fiber last year and now offers gigabit internet for what I was paying Cox for 50 mb (approx 80/mo) with no data limit. It's amazing.

ah.... I envy those who get to live in the Land of Things as They Should Be

instead of getting gorged by the Canadian telecoms that have the highest rates in the world

Thanks I'll try that.
If you have that sort of internet set up(which I am insanely jealous of), you should be in for a treat after being stuck with a 720p tv. (y)

Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, all should be great resources.

ah.... I envy those who get to live in the Land of Things as They Should Be

instead of getting gorged by the Canadian telecoms that have the highest rates in the world

I live in an oasis in an otherwise **** state. Sorry LR. You're ok I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom