Just got a 4K TV...any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Apart from the usual suggestions, I'd offer that it might be worth your time to revisit your digital photos. My TV was the first screen in the house over 1080. I was surprised to find myself looking through tons of photos that had taken on new life. It's been great.

Apart from the usual suggestions, I'd offer that it might be worth your time to revisit your digital photos. My TV was the first screen in the house over 1080. I was surprised to find myself looking through tons of photos that had taken on new life. It's been great.

Thanks for the suggestion. Between football games the wife and I watched a few mins of Planet Earth in 4k. She was blown away. She loves pictures so I'm sure she'll like that as well.

Check into Vudu. There are no monthly fees. You either rent or buy what you want.

Directv has very limited 4K. Most of the free stuff are sports. IMHO it is not worth having to get specific receivers to get 4K.

Last edited:
Check into Vudu. There is no monthly fees. You either rent or buy what you want.

Directv has very limited 4K. Most of the free stuff are sports. IMHO it is not worth having to get specific receivers to get 4K.

I only have DTV for Sunday Ticket. For the money it's worth keeping. I don't want to rely on dicey illegal streams. I'm a law abiding citizen, after all. ;)

Check into Vudu. There are no monthly fees. You either rent or buy what you want.

Aside from the occasional sports program totally agree. I have them too, but Netflix and so many other outlets have so much more 4K. ?

If you have Amazon Prime they have some nice original 4k shows/series to watch.

What I like about Vudu is they usually get the latest movies online before the other streamers do.

If you have Amazon Prime they have some nice original 4k shows/series to watch.

What I like about Vudu is they usually get the latest movies online before the other streamers do.

My wife and I watched a few mins of Planet Earth on Netflix and were blown away. Amazing. I can't wait until networks pick up 4k.

True 4k is almost as big of a leap visually as standard def to high def...I just wish more people would realize it and pressure these providers to broadcast live in it. It's absurd that the NFL films in it for years and won't live broadcast it! Shoot, I think a lot of them are even filming it in 8k (then down-scaling). I wonder when 8k hits?

Do a search for the best optimization settings for your tv to get the most out of it. There are too many variables for you to just wing it.

True 4k is almost as big of a leap visually as standard def to high def...I just wish more people would realize it and pressure these providers to broadcast live in it. It's absurd that the NFL films in it for years and won't live broadcast it! Shoot, I think a lot of them are even filming it in 8k (then down-scaling). I wonder when 8k hits?
I don’t think it’s quite that large of a leap. We’re getting into resolutions that the human eye simply can’t distinguish.
The jump from 1080 p to 4K is not really obvious on a display smaller than 55”. Above that it is.
8K I think won’t ever be a broadcast standard as it takes up so much bandwidth. Local stations want to offer as many sub channels as possible. Having your bandwidth split into three separate networks means you aren’t getting the best quality on any of them. You get one good quality channel and two mediocre ones.
Most cable companies, and satellite providers, won’t give up the necessary bandwidth either. Look at the current situation with 4K as an example.

True 4k is almost as big of a leap visually as standard def to high def...

It depends on the size of your display and how far you are from it. If you're sitting 12-15 feet away from a 50-55" TV (pretty average setup I'm guessing) 4k is not going to make much of a difference at all.

I think the problem might come in when you have an enormous TV, like >75", and you get close enough to it that regular HD starts looking bad. In that case, sure, 4k will make a big difference. It's all relative.

I have a 75" Sony and we have watched a few 4K movies on it either using Amazon Prime or Vudu. The PQ is a little better than normal, but we sit about 12' away. The TV up scales the regular shows. If I had my choice again I would not have got a 4K model and saved some money. My 60" Samsung non-4K TV PQ is just as good as the 4K 74" Sony.

We watch the show not the picture quality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom