Just got back from Pittsburgh (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Tough loss, but a 7 point loss while giving up 3 turnovers could've been much worse. I'm sure you've guys broken down the game so I just thought I'd give you some thoughts about the atmosphere.

There were very few Saints fans were there, and if there were any, they were usually like me, a single fan in a sea of Steelers fans. But that's to be expected with a team whose season ticket waiting list is years long.

The fans went nuts over the roughing the passer call on Brees and I was forced to agree that it was a bad call to avoid being drawn and quartered. Soon after, a chant of "B.S." began to rain down on the refs.

Colston is an absolutely amazing talent. The Steelers had no answer for him.

The overall atmosphere at Heinz Field is odd. Having been to many Saints home games the experience at Heinz pales in comparison to games at the Dome, but I guess that's to be expected. It just seemed so artificial, like a bunch of fair-weather fans finding something to do on a Sunday evening, hoping the Steelers didn't find a way to blow a game. But that just may be my bias.

Steelers fans were gracious for the most part. I only had one instance when we were leaving when some jerk-off brushed up against me and said "Go home and take Reggie with you" to which I replied, "Gladly, and I'll bring our 6-3 record home too." (Nothing else happened after that)

HOLY CRAP! Why didn't Devery play more? I was screaming after the first Copper fumble and I almost had a heart attack when he fumbled at the end. Devery last week = 3 catches, 100+ yds, 2 TDs, and you ride the pine? Somebody needs to explain that one to me...

Willie Parker didn't do anything special today. His two long runs were just great blocking schemes. The second one around left end was just nothing but green in front of him. I saw that one coming a mile away. I could've run through that hole (except I would've scored).

Heinz Field is pretty sweet, the jumbotron is ginormous, and they have all 5 Lombardi Trophies on display in cases in the great hall. There honestly isn't a bad seat in the house either. And the Pitts-burger from the Pamananti (sp?) Bros was excellent. Beer was $6.50 draft in case you care.

Anyway, it was a great game although the better team didn't win, in my opinion. And the more delusional Steelers fans were saying how they were back in it at 3-6 which made me feel better because we don't have to lie to ourselves about where we stand.

Pittsburgh has some pretty loyal fans. I'm assuming the atmosphere wasn't as special because...

1. Every team's stadium atmosphere probably feels stale in comparison to ours this year.

2. With their team being 2-6, they aren't as into it as they probably usually are.

Nice report. Nice comeback to that Steelers fan.

Thanks for the report. This game was another step that will injure or make the team stronger.

Nice report, Fif, and really interesting perspective on the fanbase. Its sad to think the ole hardscrabble Three Rivers fans are replaced with more comfortable and afflutent types.

I wouldve loved to see those Lombardi Trophies, and Im guessing the view all around the stadium is pretty cool. It would've been even cooler if it had snowed.

Did you know Terry Bradshaw was there? He jokingly said some people were yelling "come back" to him---ha.

Thanks for your take PTF, great report. If not for a couple of TO's the ride back home would have been much sweeter as the better team definitely lost.

"Colston is an absolutely amazing talent. The Steelers had no answer for him."

have to disagree with you there, by the 4th quater Colston was pretty much out of the game

We were at the Sports Cafe in London. About three Saints fans and maybe 4 Steelers fans. Not very roudy (due to late schedule).

One Steeler guy had a no 7 jersey. At half time we tought about asking him is that was for the no. of losses they will have...... Glad we DIDN't do it. That 2nd half was heart breaking

Did you know Terry Bradshaw was there? He jokingly said some people were yelling "come back" to him---ha.

Terry was there, they had the FOX pregame and halftime shows outside the stadium. I was actually on tv briefly during the halftime show of the Eagles/Redskins when they panned the barricade line. The fans were chanting "Ter-ry, Ter-ry" when he walked out to the set and he gave them a little bow before he sat down and started preparing for the halftime show. I never heard specifically "Come back" or anything, but the Steelers fans are definitely endeared to him.

Bradshaw was awesome and there were definitely chants of "Hey Terry, how about suiting up today?" Before the FOX pregame show he came to the stage in front of the assembled crowd and started playing catch with the crowd. Very cool -- he would just pick someone out and throw them the ball, and they would lamely attempt to throw it back. I was mostly impressed because the New Orleans equivalent of this would have been Archie Manning throwing the ball to a group of Saints fans. I'm quite certain if that happened the first guy to catch it would keep it rather than throwing it back.

The views of the river(s) from the upper deck of that stadium are awesome. But, I have to say, it was the quietest Saints game I've ever been to. Makes you really understand how different it is in a domed stadium, and how much greater the home field advantage is for domed teams.

All in all, a very fun game but too bad it didn't end the right way.

/FCS

I went to the game aswell, I was in the section that got a free hotdog. When we were up 24-17 and ready to put the nail in the coffin, that crowd was silent, they all had thier heads down, no ethusiam at all. That fumble pretty much lost us the game.

I got booed a couple of times but nothing crazy happened.

Welcome home Pleading the Fif. I know it must have been a long trip back after such a tough loss. Other than turnovers the Saints played pretty darn well. We showed a lot of heart. What was the reaction in your section when Reggie made his beautiful leaping touch down?

... I was actually on tv briefly during the halftime show of the Eagles/Redskins when they panned the barricade line. ...

I saw one guy in a black #25 Saints jersey during that, didn't see any other apparent Saint fans...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom