Just had a really strange Craigslist encounter (1 Viewer)

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
This guy has a bunch of identical Ikea coffee tables listed for sale. I need a new TV stand, and I've seen where people stack two of them to use for that purpose. I'm assuming this is one of those "fell off the truck" things because who has 6 identical coffee tables sitting around.

I go over there and the guy is acting really weird. Maybe he was high? I didn't get that vibe but who knows. He's showing me the coffee tables and being SUPER detailed about it. Telling me about how solid they are, what they're made out of, how I could paint them if I wanted, etc.

I'm weirded out by this guy and kinda want to get away, so I tell him, alright, I'll take 2 of them. I load them in the back of the truck and give him $60, which is $10 more than he wanted. He puts the money in his pocket. I'm starting to leave and he asks me what I'll be doing with the tables. I tell him that I'm going to stack them and use them as a TV stand.

Him: "Well how you gonna do that?"
Me: "You put one on top of the other, put your TV on top and the top of the bottom one is a shelf for your DVD player and stuff."
Him: "Oh....." *scratches head* "Aren't you afraid the top one is going to slide off or something."
Me: "Well I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't seem stable I'll drill some holes and screw them together."
Him: "Man, I don't know about this." He takes the money back out of his pocket and starts fiddling with it. "I'd rather just sell them to somebody who wanted to use them as coffee tables. They're really good for that."
Me: "Well I'm sure they are, but I have coffee tables. What I need is a TV stand. I'll make sure it's safe, I promise."
Him: "I don't know man, this all just seems weird to me."
Me: "But what do you care what I do with them? I'm giving you money, once they're mine what difference does it make to you?"
Him: "I don't know it just doesn't seem right. When I put the ad up to sell these things I thought they'd be going to somebody to use as coffee tables."

I'm starting to wonder if I'm on candid camera or some bizarre SNL sketch. I'm like, dude, I really have to go now, I gave you your money, so unless you want to unload the truck and just not do this, I'm gonna go now.

He says OK, and I say thanks, and he does too, but kinda in a strange way, like real quiet and sullen. I get about 10 minutes down the road and I get a text from him, once I get done setting them up with the TV and stuff can I please send him a pic so he knows everything is OK.

WTF man

Just an everyday run of the mill control freak.....

Yeah, that is weird. You should have countered by telling him you didn't ask him where (and how) he got six identical coffee tables, so he should just back off about what you're going to do with them. :ezbill:

3ceda5b4f74e61a03efac9cbc8e06c29.jpg

Maybe he's got a lawyer somewhere in the family and is worried about incurring product liability.

:idunno:

To be fair though.. he's right. What you're doing is weird.

Granted, it sounds weird at first. But there is apparently a whole DIY movement around hacking Ikea furniture. I got the idea from this:

rack.jpg

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ok-i-am-an-ikea-believer.649866/page-3

Mine's a little wider since I'm using coffee tables instead of side tables, and shorter since I only need two shelves, but same basic idea.

Just send him a picture of a pile of sawdust and say that you wish to return the tables; as things didn't work out as you had planned...

:hihi:

brutal

That was the best thing I read today! Thank you!

You need to do the following:
1. Take picture of finished product.
2. Post picture on SR.
3. Send pic to CCS (concerned Craigslist seller).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom