Just in case you didn't think the NFL was all about money... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
NFL to ask federal court to reverse ruling on Vick's bonus money

MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL is asking a federal court to vacate a judge's ruling allowing suspended quarterback Michael Vick to keep $16.5 million in bonuses.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3246055

I love the saints, and will always watch them, but i'm seriously getting turned off by the league office. I have to buy Sunday ticket every year, but i really don't want to support this organization finanically in any other way.

i know they have money but what is so bad about them wanting their money back since he did not serve out his contract?

But shouldn't we show our gratitude by being happy about a home game in London next year?

Doesn't the NFL have our best interests at heart?

Considering that NFL = Business and Business = Money I don't see where anyone could have gotten an different idea :shrug:

Just because you care about someone (thing) doesn't mean they care back or for the same reasons.

/veryimportantlessonforvalentinesday

I am with you. If it were not for the saints I would not keep up with the NFL.

I have never been a Vick supporter but the league did EVERYTHING in the power to make him their poster child of the league and all for $$$$$$$$$$$. Now that has backfired and they are going after him.

A signing bonus is for signing the contract which Vick did. They should have put conduct clauses in the contract if it was more than a signing bonus.

My opinon, is that this is a Falcons' issue, not a league issue. The Falcons made their case in court and lost. Now the league apparently didn't like the result, so now they are throwing their weight in to influence the court system.

My opinon, is that this is a Falcons' issue, not a league issue. The Falcons made their case in court and lost. Now the league apparently didn't like the result, so now they are throwing their weight in to influence the court system.

The League is nothing more than a collection of owners of the team, you can't think of it any different way. While the League does have some autonomy don't think for a second that the owners would pull the plug on Goddell if he screwed the pooch too much. The fact that Vick isn't required to give back his bonus sets a precedence that the owners don't like and don't want to deal with. Thus the League office (aka all the owners) step up to the plate to change it.

I am with you. If it were not for the saints I would not keep up with the NFL.

I have never been a Vick supporter but the league did EVERYTHING in the power to make him their poster child of the league and all for $$$$$$$$$$$. Now that has backfired and they are going after him.

A signing bonus is for signing the contract which Vick did. They should have put conduct clauses in the contract if it was more than a signing bonus.

Are you assuming that the $80 million contract (or whatever it's total value was) did NOT have a personal conduct clause in it?

signing bonus money is just that money for signing a contract paid over the set amount of years of the contract...the money the falcons are asking for is for years already played, so noway can they come back after the fact and try to get anything back...if a player signs a 6 year deal, then the team cuts him after 3 years, can the player sue the team for the other 3 years left on said contract??? no, so the team should get nothing...how many millions of dollars has the nfl and the falcons made "because" of vick? the falcon and the nfl should just go sit down somewhere and worry about bill belicheck and getting some of his money back for being a ****** cheater

Guaranteed money means guaranteed money. Unless there is a clause in the contract signed by all parties involved, it's his money and the contract states that.

Personally, I don't think he should be able to keep it, but I have no say in the matter.

The NFL is all about money more than it ever has been. If it weren't for the Saints, I'd probably lose all interest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom