Just one request of the Saints (1 Viewer)

willkro

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Please don't cut John Carney. He was with the Saints in their 2006 season, and when he left we lost our Mojo. Carney comes back and we're back on top. Please keep our Mojo. If Carney misses a long FG, our kicker missed a kick. If we cut Carney, and Hartley misses a kick, there will be a feeling of regret. We are having a great season, let's keep Carney!!!

Well, we're going to know by Monday, aren't we? That's the deadline for Hartley's roster exemption owing to suspension to expire.

I believe it's been posted elsewhere that Payton has suggested he wants to keep both Carney and Hartley.

I think we really need Hartley for his capability from distance. But I do appreciate John Carney as a player and a man. The guy is pure class.

So you're saying Carney is good luck?

I think they will keep both kickers and put Rod Harper on the practice squad. He should still be eligible, and the way things are going he (Harper) won't get any playing time this year anyway.

The Saints need to try and get Hartley on the practice squad and keep Carney. If Carney starts struggling get Hartley back on the team.

The Saints need to try and get Hartley on the practice squad and keep Carney. If Carney starts struggling get Hartley back on the team.

works for me, dont see the point with two kickers on the team. If are toughest decision is which one to go with i feel pretty good about that.

Hartley wouldn't make it to the practice squad (if he's eligible). Some team would scoop him up for their 53 man roster.

Hartley wouldn't make it to the practice squad (if he's eligible). Some team would scoop him up for their 53 man roster.

Yes; without a doubt! Hartley's range makes him too valuable to risk the waiver wire.

And we have had too much of the revolving door at kicker and punter over the past few years to go back into the maelstrom trying to find another kicker. We've got our punter in Morstead, and we need to keep Hartley at kicker and go about our business working on the rest of the roster.

I'm expecting Rod Harper to be waived and signed to the practice squad.

There is no doubt in my mind that we keep Hartley. There were 2 times that we went for it on fourth because Coach Payton didn't trust Carney's leg. It seems many of you forgot that Hartley was money for us last season and he only missed 1 FG in the preseason. I trust Hartley and would much rather us be able to take 3 points on a 40-50 yarder then have to risk it because Carney can't make a long FG.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

There is no doubt in my mind that we keep Hartley. There were 2 times that we went for it on fourth because Coach Payton didn't trust Carney's leg. It seems many of you forgot that Hartley was money for us last season and he only missed 1 FG in the preseason. I trust Hartley and would much rather us be able to take 3 points on a 40-50 yarder then have to risk it because Carney can't make a long FG.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I dont think that is the main reason payton went for it. carney was 6 of 8 last year from greater than 40 yards.

I think alot of the 4th down stuff is trying to keeo the momentum and having a defense that is actually pretty good.

I will never forget the game against the Ravens, when we were still in a playoff hunt. There was a weird lateral situation in which we scored with no time left. We needed an extra point to tie... John Carney missed the extra point. I know it was flukey though. I hope we don't cut him. I have never been particularly impressed with him, but he's mostly a solid kicker, and solid is good enough!

carney has been a very reliable kicker. but he doens't have muhc leg. i mean anyhting over 45 yards is a nailbiter over 50 is almost a sure miss. and you can't really keep 2 kickers. you;ll probably go with heartly but i do liek carney but age is an issue

carney has been a very reliable kicker. but he doens't have muhc leg. i mean anyhting over 45 yards is a nailbiter over 50 is almost a sure miss. and you can't really keep 2 kickers. you;ll probably go with heartly but i do liek carney but age is an issue

We kept 2 in 2006. I think we do it again until a roster conflict forces our hand.

>>>There is no doubt in my mind that we keep Hartley. There were 2 times that we went for it on fourth because Coach Payton didn't trust Carney's leg. It seems many of you forgot that Hartley was money for us last season and he only missed 1 FG in the preseason. I trust Hartley and would much rather us be able to take 3 points on a 40-50 yarder then have to risk it because Carney can't make a long FG.>>>

You don't know that he want for it because he did not trust Carney's leg. Maybe he thought his offense could pick up the first.

>>>I will never forget the game against the Ravens, when we were still in a playoff hunt. There was a weird lateral situation in which we scored with no time left. We needed an extra point to tie... John Carney missed the extra point. I know it was flukey though. I hope we don't cut him. I have never been particularly impressed with him, but he's mostly a solid kicker, and solid is good enough!>>

You DID forget. That game was not against the Ravens, it was against the Jaguars, (I believe)

We kept 2 in 2006. I think we do it again until a roster conflict forces our hand.

it has been done before. dallas did it 1 year as well. but at the end of the day it isn't smart to keep 2 kickers. you can use one of those kickers as another position player who could have an impact. you wanna use a roster sport on a 43 year old kicker who can't hit FGs 45 yards or better? your better off letting him go and keeping heartley.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom