Just re-watched the 2009 season (1 Viewer)

BodyofBreesus

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I've had the 2009 super bowl dvd in my room and haven't watched it all the way through for a couple years now and thought I'd share some of the things that I hadn't specifically noticed before about the 2009 season. Particularly, I wanted to share some of the things that I think elevated us to success and what we'll need this upcoming season to get us back to the status of super bowl champions.

That 2009 season was fueled by big-play sparks the whole way through. I think our defense was to some extent underrated, at least from what I remember. Those turnovers really could turn entire games around from start to finish.

1. We ended Terrell Owens' consecutive catch streak of roughly 180 games when he was with the Bills. .

2. Meachem was huge that season. Although he didn't have as many yards as Colston, he still had as many TD's and Lance hadn't quite taken the #2 role yet. Finding that new receiver to complement Colston's and Moore's consistency with a big-play spark will be critical. Hopefully Morgan?

3. Pierre Thomas was huge as well. His second effort runs were so awesome and supportive to our team I wish we would just feed him the ball next year. Sproles can take over Bush's dynamic role but I wish Pierre would get the ball way more than Ingram. I think Ingram is still a good runner but he really isn't inspiring to say the least I feel.

4. As noted above, the Defense defined many games for us. Those interceptions and forced fumbles really kept our team up. I honestly don't think we could've done it with any lesser of defense. I totally thought our offense was nearly the sole purpose of our success before in 2009.

5. Sean Payton is one of the gutsiest coaches in football. His 4th and 1 calls, challenges, and creative playcalling set us above everyone else. One of our last drives in the super bowl had Brees throw it to SEVEN different receivers. I didn't realize, like I'm sure many here didn't, how significant his lack of presence and playcalling would have affected us last season.

Having Sean back is huge and to think we still went 7-9 without him and barely lost a couple games to go 9-7. Please feel free to add any thoughts or inputs about the 09 season that maybe some of us didn't realize before.

So pumped about this upcoming season. I'll be at the Tampa game Sept. 15 since I live in Orlando and would love to see most of you there.

Surprised you didn't mention Mike Bell. He had a solid year for us. It really helps having a running back who knows how to do the dirty work. "We have a lead, and it is my job to protect this lead." I hope Ingram has been working on the mental side of the game. Remember how he started running differently after Ivory came in and wrecked defenses?

Getting back to a balanced attack is what we need. The year we won the Super Bowl, Brees had the least amount of yards during his career as a Saint.

The key turnovers obviously helped too, as you mentioned. It always seemed like we got an interception, forced fumble, etc. at a key point in the game. Renewed confidence in the scheme and some added playmakers can certainly do that again for our defense.

Surprised you didn't mention Mike Bell. He had a solid year for us. It really helps having a running back who knows how to do the dirty work. "We have a lead, and it is my job to protect this lead." I hope Ingram has been working on the mental side of the game. Remember how he started running differently after Ivory came in and wrecked defenses?

Getting back to a balanced attack is what we need. The year we won the Super Bowl, Brees had the least amount of yards during his career as a Saint.

The key turnovers obviously helped too, as you mentioned. It always seemed like we got an interception, forced fumble, etc. at a key point in the game. Renewed confidence in the scheme and some added playmakers can certainly do that again for our defense.

Great point about Mike Bell. He was huge for us in the Dolphins game that year. He had some big runs for us in the second half of that game that allowed us to be balanced and keep the Dolphins defense guessing.

The "finish strong" mantra was perfect. Jermon got exposed by Demarcus ware and it prepared us well for Freeney.

The Saints would squeeze teams. If you made a mistake then they would make you pay. On offense I don't remember any major mistakes.

That Screen pass to Pierre was unstoppable. Jeremy shockey had a great year. Reggie was explosive.

Devery still had killer speed.

Tracy porter played lights out. Will Smith played lights out. So did Sedrick Ellis.

So pumped for the season. Like u said, a couple of plays away from 9-7 this year. On top of that, a couple of unfortunate interceptions taken back by brees in 49ers and falcons game would've kept us alive. Crazy to think of what could've been had Payton been here. I predict a dominant offense and a very hard hitting defense. Top half of the league if I had to guess. So excited.

You know for some reason the DVD didn't highlight mike bell much but looking at his stats he did have about 600 yds for us which looked like the ground n pound yards.

Looks like Sean will be really emphasizing the run again this year like 2011 and I think Armstead could really be awesome for some up-field blocks.

It was ridiculous how clutch our defense was. Always came through.when we needed a play.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

watching that video reminded me just how precarious and fragile a run to the superbowl is. one thing no one has mentioned was how in 2009 we got so incredibly lucky with regards to injury. You can have all the talent, all the great plays, the great comebacks, but time and time again the superbowl winner is generally who finishes the season with the fewest injuries. sure grant, dunbar and evans got banged up, but nothing was season ending (i think).

Couple of us went to eat after that Dolphins game and had our Saints stuff on. Old guy next to us says, "Same ole Saints huh?" My friend (Kevin) says, "You know we won right?" Old man: absolutely dumbfounded

Couple of us went to eat after that Dolphins game and had our Saints stuff on. Old guy next to us says, "Same ole Saints huh?" My friend (Kevin) says, "You know we won right?" Old man: absolutely dumbfounded

What a terrific story. That game was really important in the superbowl run. It looked absolutely hopeless; no wonder the guy was confused. :hihi:

Another satisfying aspect of the game was the absolute FRUSTRATION on Rickey Williams' face after the Saints came back on them.

Williams was an arse the way he tried to diss Deuce (after the Saints drafted the Ole Miss alum). Glad we stuck it to the 'Phins that day. Very gratifying! :ezbill:

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom