Just saw on ESPN ticker...that Joe Schad reports that... (1 Viewer)

That makes it even more imperative that the Saints.get a legitimate starting cornerback in free agency. LB and DT are also high priority.in bboth free agency and the draft. While they're at it, the safety play could stand to be upgraded. After that, they should go after some defensive players. ;)

Even worse, this prods Laurinaitis and Gholston to come back for another year, meaning three potential top 10 picks have withdrawn their names. Less talent available at pick 10 for us possibly. This lessens our chance for one of the top impact defensive players slipping to us.

Thought ESPN was reporting that Gholston is declaring for the 2008 draft..... along with Jenkins planning on returning for his senior season.... I may have read it wrong, but sure I saw this on the ticker before I came into work tonight....

Thought ESPN was reporting that Gholston is declaring for the 2008 draft..... along with Jenkins planning on returning for his senior season.... I may have read it wrong, but sure I saw this on the ticker before I came into work tonight....

No, you're correct. My post was an older post before the report of Gholston coming out.

We're gonna have to find a way to move up in the drafts definately if we want a shot at post season next season.,

why? the draft is longer than just one round. And if they want a shot at postseason next year, they better do something in free agency. FA>draft for next season's impact.

Not good news about Jenkins. However, he was not a lock to be an impact even if he was there at 10. Like everyone else is saying, this places more pressure to get some impact defensive fa's in here like samuel and/or briggs. If Phillips or Ellis or some other potential impact DT is not there, take the bpa regardless of need if we cannot trade back. Last year we wondered why we traded up in the 4th to get another rb, and look what happened this season. I'm not saying Pittman would have contributed like PT did, but you never know what will happen during a season. Maybe this will work out for the best if forces the front office to get Samuel instead of relying on a young question mark at CB.

It's all good. We still have a bunch of options at 10. One the the DTs might slip, we draft Ken Phillips, trade down get an extra pick and draft Dan Connor. It's not as bad as it seems.

I want Keith Rivers, Dan Conner, Sed Ellis, or Kenny Phillips at #10... One of them WILL be there.

I'd be happy with Aqib Talib there also... I think he's a better cover CB than Jenkins anyways.

We have no business drafting a corner 10th anyway. Rookie corners rarely make an immediate impact. We need a defensive play maker at linebacker. I say get a corner or two in free agency and draft one in the second round.

We have no business drafting a corner 10th anyway. Rookie corners rarely make an immediate impact. We need a defensive play maker at linebacker. I say get a corner or two in free agency and draft one in the second round.

I back this philosophy as well... LB or stout, play-making DT at #10 (Sed Ellis). Then another LB in the 2nd or 3rd... and FA CB.

Since when did it become "not good" to stay in school? You people kill me. nuff said!!

Didn't really want him at 10, but does hurt the overall draft. Helped that Gholston declared, as I think he has a strong chance of going top 10 possibly to the Pats at #7 as an outside LB.

No worries guys. Somebody's going to show up at the combine and blow us all away with their workout. That's going to make our 10 spot more valuable for trading down. There are plenty of great defensive guys in the late 1st round projections. We'll be fine.

Saintuary, I have a postgraduate degree. I can tell you that I would not make the decision that Jenkins did to finish his bachelor's degree. He would never make the kind of money he can make as a #10 draft pick in the NFL with a bachelor's degree. What if he has a career ending injury in his senior year? Also, he is probably shortening his career by the year spent in school when he could have been on a team earning millions in the lost year. If I had the talent to play pro ball, would I give up my degrees? In a heartbeat. He can always go back to school when he is an "old man" in his thirties. Just my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom