Just saw this on Saints Wire on Landon Collins he may be available in F/A (2 Viewers)

Landon Collins was one of the main guys that was outspoken in his dislike/disdain towards Eli Apple. He’s a very good player, but I don’t think our defense needs that animosity among our DBs
This.

I could see Earl Thomas take over the deep safety for the Saints before I could see the Saints chase Landon Collins. Might as well link the Saints to Le'Veon Bell or Nick Foles.

I agree our cap money is very valuable especially since we so little to play with. We will have more pressing needs and I agree Marshon will come back stronger. I think that ankle injury last year was worse than it appeared to be he played on it for a long time those only fully heal with time. I think it hindered his offseason training I don't think it was him eating the cheese as some would say.

P Rob has had a bad history of injuries with us and I guess we can only hope he holds up for the rest of his contract he would have made a big difference in our season. I think Apple will breakout this year I think it will be his 4th year in the league? With him being in New York and the huge spot light and criticism that hinders a young players confidence and growth. It also didn't help that the Giants had McAdoo for a coach. We do have to be very frugal and precise in our investments but that's why we have Loomis.

Nah he got lazy, he's even admitted to it. My friend works for the Saints and he told me he looked lazy during practice.

Nah he got lazy, he's even admitted to it. My friend works for the Saints and he told me he looked lazy during practice.

Well then if that's is the case then hopefully he realized hard work is just as important as having the talent. I think he will have a better camp and season overall. He did seem less aggressive than he did in his first year hopefully he comes back with some fire.

Landon Collins was one of the main guys that was outspoken in his dislike/disdain towards Eli Apple. He’s a very good player, but I don’t think our defense needs that animosity among our DBs

You took a good angle.

When I first saw the Free Agents list, this was a guy I though, "man, that would be a sweet pick-up".
Then I read your post and remembered this...

I wonder if all could be forgiven and forgotten? I mean, we are a "winning" team and winning tends to smooth the sheets.
He's a top safety in this league. We would be freakin loaded on the back end.

Well then if that's is the case then hopefully he realized hard work is just as important as having the talent. I think he will have a better camp and season overall. He did seem less aggressive than he did in his first year hopefully he comes back with some fire.

On Lattimore...

It's not uncommon for super-talented rookie wonders to slip in their second year. That first year, they're pumped up and ready to take on the world. They get by on their physical talents and everybody tells them how great they are. They go into the offseason thinking, "this NFL thing isn't as hard as everybody told me it would be... I'm good enough as-is, I don't have to work myself to death." And then year two comes around and that rookie-edge isn't there, teams have a year of tape on them, and they're not in fighting shape.

This is the part that separates the good players from the great players. From the league average of 3-year players, and players who go on to make a name for themselves and have long careers. Year 3 comes around and the great ones have learned their lesson. They treat the offseason as a time to heal up and then get bigger, better, stronger. They show up to camp war-ready with an NFL player's body. This is also about the time that all that technique they've been learning and all the film they've been studying become second nature. So they're diagnosing fast, playing fast, and reacting fast.

For Lattimore and a few others on the team, this coming season is year 3. And if you don't believe in the 3 year thing, look at the leaps made by Rankins and Bell last year...

On Lattimore...

It's not uncommon for super-talented rookie wonders to slip in their second year. That first year, they're pumped up and ready to take on the world. They get by on their physical talents and everybody tells them how great they are. They go into the offseason thinking, "this NFL thing isn't as hard as everybody told me it would be... I'm good enough as-is, I don't have to work myself to death." And then year two comes around and that rookie-edge isn't there, teams have a year of tape on them, and they're not in fighting shape.

This is the part that separates the good players from the great players. From the league average of 3-year players, and players who go on to make a name for themselves and have long careers. Year 3 comes around and the great ones have learned their lesson. They treat the offseason as a time to heal up and then get bigger, better, stronger. They show up to camp war-ready with an NFL player's body. This is also about the time that all that technique they've been learning and all the film they've been studying become second nature. So they're diagnosing fast, playing fast, and reacting fast.

For Lattimore and a few others on the team, this coming season is year 3. And if you don't believe in the 3 year thing, look at the leaps made by Rankins and Bell last year...
Well said. The sophomore slump is real and you nailed the reason why. Great post and one that applies to Marcus Williams as well. :9:

On Lattimore...

I never thought about that probably because I really never really believed it but your examples are proof. In remember Fournette in his first year saying the NFL was too easy and he has struggled although injuries and being in the doghouse hasn't helped his case. This year should be interesting for Lattimore. I think the exception to the rule is Thomas but then again he is a very rare type of player. Thanks for the reply it was a good one.

Well said. The sophomore slump is real and you nailed the reason why. Great post and one that applies to Marcus Williams as well. :9:

I hope Williams can turn it around, but I thought he was a weak link last season. He regressed in my opinion. Safety needs to be addressed this offseason... at least depth with upside.

The Eli Apple thing is a non-issue. If Collins is even remotely interested in joining us, we should pursue it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ed-hatchet-new-york-giants-teammate-eli-apple

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants cornerback Eli Apple has received a clean slate from the team's new regime. He's also been given a reprieve from teammate Landon Collins, who called Apple a "cancer" late last year.

Everything was copacetic as Apple and the Giants reported for the first day of the team's offseason workout program Monday. Apple spent most of his offseason in California with several Giants teammates, and some relationships were mended.

"We talked. Definitely we talked. We've definitely buried the hatchet a while ago," Collins said on a conference call with reporters. "That's my guy, my brother. I'm always going to have his back. We knew what kind of caliber player he is. He knows what kind of caliber player I am. We're just trying to get to work and make this season go."

If we can sign Collins you make the move he is not only a box safety but a true SS he’s Vaccaro but better a jack or trades he can play SS,LB,FS In scheming yet that would push us to see less of Bell /3rd LB

He is a box safety.

I just don't think they hold any real value in the NFL anymore.

They are headed toward extinction.

You don't think so then why was the SS market so soft last year?

I really think Collins is good. The real question is does he cover well enough to be worth good money. Is he really a jack of all trades?

Now bell has been great. How much better will the play be against the huge jump in price? I just don't think it would be worth it and money would be better spent elsewhere.

I like Collins but we have an in the box safety (Vonn Bell did a pretty good job last year), what we need is someone to replace Marcus Williams and give us a true center fielder (que Earl Thomas).
Totally agree. Williams looks totally lost at times.

He is a box safety.

I just don't think they hold any real value in the NFL anymore.

They are headed toward extinction.

You don't think so then why was the SS market so soft last year?

I really think Collins is good. The real question is does he cover well enough to be worth good money. Is he really a jack of all trades?

Now bell has been great. How much better will the play be against the huge jump in price? I just don't think it would be worth it and money would be better spent elsewhere.
Like Jamal Adams, he's a box safety who can cover. A year ago he said as arguably the best defensive player in the league along with Cam Jordan. He carries the "box safety" label because he plays the run and hits like a linebacker.

This is really awkward to say after all the years of the Saints defense being awful, but the Saints need offensive weapons more than defensive now. What a time to be alive.

Like Jamal Adams, he's a box safety who can cover. A year ago he said as arguably the best defensive player in the league along with Cam Jordan. He carries the "box safety" label because he plays the run and hits like a linebacker.

What have the NFL rules taken away?

Come on you got it.

Blowing players up. Tackling!

Yes he can play.

Yes if he was to be available at a reasonable price fine.

To give him a break the bank contract is not a wise idea.

Is his production is not that much better than bell to be honest?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom