Just think how different it would have been. . . (1 Viewer)

Oh... Okay... I see your point... Just to let the other players know that if they show up so out of shape they can't even make it through one practice then that would be okay because POTENTIAL is everything, especially if you can do a backflip.

Okay... I understand now.

Just think how different the season could have been if he had eaten Mark Simoneau and Jason David...............................
[/QUOTE]

Go back and reread Borosaint's post. Make sure you scroll all the way to the end of the post. He commented on Walter Thomas eating certain players not worthy of starting jobs.

The thing that irritates me the most about the whole WT fiasco was that Payton made as if he was beneath even trying out let alone making this team "on the rise? What ends up happening is a laying of a big 7-9 egg lead by the head coach who must have actually believed the defense of last year wasnt a fluke and despite a defense one more year older would have gotten miraculously better somehow? Then a head coach of one year feels obliged to a new cornerback of just a few games a guaranteed slot no matter how bad he plays? Has 2 RB's that are able to add a dimension that his star RB doesnt but still feels the need to run him anyway til he gets hurt? This will be Payton's 3rd offseason which is when coaches are usually expected to deliver, if he doesnt I for one am tired of hearing his weekly post game comments of ..."uhhhh, umm, that was a tough lost, ummm, you got to give them credit, umm, got to fix the mistakes, uhhh.
Payton felt he was beneath even trying out for the team? I thought Walt T did try out for the team and was signed, then showed up miserably out of shape and was vomiting on the sideline less than 15 minutes into practice. Perhaps it was Walt T that felt working out and getting into shape was beneath him. Perhaps he felt he was athletic enough to get through an NFL tryout without putting in the requisite effort. Perhaps Payton did give him a shot and he did not take advantage of it.

Perhaps you have some misplaced anger. Perhaps you need a hug.

Payton felt he was beneath even trying out for the team? I thought Walt T did try out for the team and was signed, then showed up miserably out of shape and was vomiting on the sideline less than 15 minutes into practice.

I heard last preseason that Payton didnt even want WT invited to rookie camp but that it was Loomis who wanted it?

Perhaps it was Walt T that felt working out and getting into shape was beneath him. Perhaps he felt he was athletic enough to get through an NFL tryout without putting in the requisite effort. Perhaps Payton did give him a shot and he did not take advantage of it.

I realize he was very out of shape but so was Hollis in camp. Guess the difference is when you have money spent on players, like Jason David and Hollis Thomas you have to play them no matter what?

Perhaps you have some misplaced anger. Perhaps you need a hug.

Absolutely

Last edited:
I heard last preseason that Payton didnt even want WT invited to rookie camp but that it was Loomis who wanted it? I realize he was very out of shape but so was Hollis in camp. Guess the difference is when you have money spent on players, like Jason David and Hollis Thomas you have to play them no matter what?

I heard that too. Funny how Payton who said you have to dis-associate the player from where they were picked decided to keep Meachem around and dismiss Walter Thomas after 15 minutes. Now clearly you don't cut your 1st round draft pick before the season, but he didn't afford the same to Walter Thomas, and you are correct to point out Hollis Thomas. Some may say Payton cut W. Thomas because he wasn't dedicated to get into shape for a workout. Signing an $8m deal and reporting completely out of shape, so much so that you aren't ready for the start of the season is less forgiveable. If Pierre Thomas had been kept round to the last cuts he likely would have been picked up, but there is no guarantee he would have, especially if Payton hadn't played him in the pre-season to shine. Just because Walter Thomas hasn't made an NFL team, doesn't mean he couldn't have. Wow, that's a lot of Thomas's!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom