Justice League trailer [Oh yeah, *spoilers*] (1 Viewer)

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
It shows the Flash as being an awkward kid which in reality would be pretty realistic when touching WW in a possibly inappropriate way. The contact wasn't intentional or malicious, unlike Brett Ratner's been accused of.

I understand the current climate, but incidental contact of other men and women is still going to occur in life and is not illegal. He didn't grab her ****. He fell on her and couldn't exactly control where he landed in the heat of battle. Gadot seems to be a pretty reasonable person. I don't she why anyone would take issue with it.

Stop being so hypersensitive...

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
It shows the Flash as being an awkward kid which in reality would be pretty realistic when touching WW in a possibly inappropriate way. The contact wasn't intentional or malicious, unlike Brett Ratner's been accused of.

I understand the current climate, but incidental contact of other men and women is still going to occur in life and is not illegal. He didn't grab her ****. He fell on her and couldn't exactly control where he landed in the heat of battle. Gadot seems to be a pretty reasonable person. I don't she why anyone would take issue with it.

If you can't see what is wrong with that scene then I guess there is no help for you. It is using the ONE female character in Justice League as a prop for a sexually themed gag. Why even have a scene like that in there in the first place? Do they have a scene where Flash accidentally touches one of the other members of the cast in such a way? No. That's because the director wanted to use a female for his sexual target.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

You didn't realize Flash was awkward until that point in the movie? Yeah you did. Even still, he could have awkwardly landed on Aquaman to achieve the same thing. That didn't happen. Neither scene needed to happen because it wasn't about showing Flash being awkward, it was about putting Wonder Woman in a sexual position. It was, "oh by the way...don't forget that Gal Gadot is extremely hot!" Totally not necessary.

Like someone else said, why was Superman shirtless? Was it just to show off his chest to the ladies in the theatres? It certainly seemed like it. Seemed like they missed a golden opportunity, taking him out of his black suit after the resurrection. No one batted an eye at that comment or complained about "oversensitivity", but it's the same thing. It wasn't necessary. Someone called them on it and didn't get called "oversensitive" for doing so.

But back to the regeneration thing. How awesome would it have been to have him shoot out of the regeneration chamber in the black suit and then fight them as he did? That sequence with him shirtless just seemed like a "oh we need to show off his physique for the ladies in the audience" moment. The black suit would have been perfect for this moment when he was "a little off kilter" and would have paved the way for the return to the regular (brighter!) suit toward the end when he was back to normal. They really missed the boat on this part.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You didn't realize Flash was awkward until that point in the movie? Yeah you did. Even still, he could have awkwardly landed on Aquaman to achieve the same thing. That didn't happen. Neither scene needed to happen because it wasn't about showing Flash being awkward, it was about putting Wonder Woman in a sexual position. It was, "oh by the way...don't forget that Gal Gadot is extremely hot!" Totally not necessary.
Kinda like how every Thor movie has him without his shirt for one dehydrated scene?

Or how that girl "fell" on him in Thor 2.

It's a cheap gag that is used in various movies.

MLU

Reaction score
Then people would complain about it being homophobic.

Hypersensitive.

MLU

Reaction score
You seem to be using the word hypersensitive the same way right wingers say PC.

Are you saying we are being hypersensitive for the unnecessary use of Wonder Woman as a prop for a joke?
People in general seem to be going out of their way and one up each other in finding ways that women are objectified. They're actors. Actors make money by being objectified. My wife doesn't go to see Thor and Justice League unless she knows Hemsworth and Momoa are going to be shirtless. It's a punchline for McConaughey's entire career. Objectification is not limited to women and humans in a large part enjoy seeing beautiful people walk, talk, act, sing, etc.

It's good to be sensitive to the issue of women being assaulted and objectified, but at some point you draw the line to what is acceptable and not acceptable behavior. My use of the word hypersensitive is pointing out that I feel that line has now been crossed.

MLU

Reaction score
Like someone else said, why was Superman shirtless? Was it just to show off his chest to the ladies in the theatres? It certainly seemed like it. Seemed like they missed a golden opportunity, taking him out of his black suit after the resurrection. No one batted an eye at that comment or complained about "oversensitivity", but it's the same thing. It wasn't necessary. Someone called them on it and didn't get called "oversensitive" for doing so.
I didn't say anything because the idea of a black suit is dumb. He was buried as Clark Kent. Why would he be wearing a black Superman suit? It makes more sense that he's wearing an actual suit and of course such a garment isn't going to hold up to Superman blowing through the roof of a ship, hence Superman is shirtless the way that Flash fell on WW because they're fighting in close quarters, the serious moment needs some levity and gravity exists in this fantasy world on the movie screen.

Now you may ask "Why didn't his pants come off as well?". Obviously showing his penis would prevent the PG rating that the studio is going for. This is where the line that is drawn between "realism" and "remember we're making a money to make money here" and conversation has taken a turn from the actual movie and something that's just dumb. It's turned into people tripping over the other to show how sensitive they are to the plight of women being objectified and assaulted or being hypersensitive.

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My daughter, who I consider to be feminist, had no issue with the Flash on Wonder Woman joke. She thought it was funny. At no time did she ever think that this was sexist or objectifying of Wonder Woman. She thought it was one of the funny parts of the movie.

Who else makes that funny? Cyborg? Aquaman? I'll give you that Batman could be funny as long as you are playing up the grumpy Batman. Otherwise, Wonder Woman is the only one that works.

Had he lingered on top of her and tried some cheesy pickup line, then you may have something. As it was, he fell on her, and immediately popped up embarrassed. In my opinion, nothing to see here. I agree with MLU that there is a tendency to try and find something to be offended by these days.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Rush Limbaugh waned us years ago that PC culture was going to lead to these types of arguments.

Actors and actresses are often over sexualized. Especially in hero/action movies.

No one wants to watch Billy Bob Thornton and Kathy Griffin as superheroes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom