Justice League trailer [Oh yeah, *spoilers*] (1 Viewer)

Could that have been part of the reason for marvel's success?

the casual non comics fan is going to compare/contrast/complain/nitpick Superman, Batman and Joker to what they've seen onscreen before

The 2nd and 3rd stringers are more of a blank slate and aren't fighting against multiple versions over decades

I was wondering the exact same thing when I made that post about the 2nd stringers. The MCU was able to introduce new and (mostly) interesting characters that we had never seen. I never thought I'd see Thor in a movie. And I really never thought I'd see Thor done right in a movie! Dr Strange, Ant Man, Captain Marvel, new heroes with new powers and new gadgets and new origin stories. Each movie a chapter of a larger novel.

With DC we have seen Bruce Wayne's parents get killed over and over and over. How many different ways can you film pearls falling to the ground? Instead of walking into the theater with no expectations people start nitpicking and bashing the next Batman in teaser trailers or leaked images from the set. Take The Batman for instance. I liked the trailer but I can't deal with that cowl. The ears are jacked up 7 different ways!

ERVr2vWVAAARDr2.jpg

Anyway, I guess my other issue with Superman is that he really is OP. I know that there is kryptonite, but it's the only thing and it just gets kind of boring in story lines when you know that it will play a role in the story at some point. I mean, it wasn't in JL, but only because he was dead from kryptonite in BvS. Once he knows who he is, it was all over for the villains.

Totally agree. Superman is so OP. I mean, it's absurd. Just to have a chance against the guy you have to come up with a brilliant plan like Batman in the The Dark Knight Returns comic. ( BTW The Snyder Cut had the Bat Tank from TDKR!)

My wife and I were talking about whether or not anyone from Marvel could have a shot against Superman. She started naming characters and it kept coming down to the fact that Superman could just throw them into space. Hulk, boom, thrown in space. Best she could come up with was Captain Marvel. Thanos might have something for him.

Totally agree. Superman is so OP. I mean, it's absurd. Just to have a chance against the guy you have to come up with a brilliant plan like Batman in the The Dark Knight Returns comic. ( BTW The Snyder Cut had the Bat Tank from TDKR!)

My wife and I were talking about whether or not anyone from Marvel could have a shot against Superman. She started naming characters and it kept coming down to the fact that Superman could just throw them into space. Hulk, boom, thrown in space. Best she could come up with was Captain Marvel. Thanos might have something for him.

Strangely, I was talking to my daughter about this last night. If he was literally The Man of Steel, Magento's got him. But he's not, so that's out. I'm thinking it's Captain Marvel who could maybe hit him with red sunlight. Professor X could probably take over his mind, but it's hard to know how long he could hold that and at some point he is going to have to let him go and then it's over. But, outside of that, it's just got to be someone who can get kryptonite.

I think DC has a Superman problem. You have to include him because he's either the biggest or second biggest star in the DC universe. But, it's hard to put together a story line with Batman and Superman. First they are polar opposites in that Superman is all for "truth, justice, and the American way" and Batman is more about revenge and vigilante justice. Batman is always on the line of being a villain and Superman is always perfectly clean and moral. It's hard to team up those two characters.

In addition, Superman is virtually indestructible where as Batman is just some smart, rich guy. Any villain strong enough to be a match for Superman would instantly destroy Batman. So, I just think it's hard to have a story that uses both of those characters well. They kind of don't belong in the same universe. I mean, The Joker is a great villain for Batman, but Superman would take him out in 20 seconds.

And to be honest, I've never been a big Superman fan. He's always seemed overpowered and much less interesting than Batman.
I think you are right that it's an issue, but the animation wing of DC has managed to pair them together pretty successfully, and use their differences to tell some good stories.

A much, much better version of the movie. Even the wife liked it.

I think Dr. Strange and Scarlett Witch could give him a lot of trouble. Isn't Superman weak against magic?

I think he peaced out early in one of the Justice League: Dark animated movies because he was like "I don't fork with magic. I'll call ya'll later though."

I think you are right that it's an issue, but the animation wing of DC has managed to pair them together pretty successfully, and use their differences to tell some good stories.

Yeah, I think it can be done. It's just harder than throwing together the Avengers who all have weaknesses and need each other to make up for those weaknesses. Basically, the Justice League could just be Superman and be just as powerful. A writer has to work hard to find a role for the others and, at least in the cinematic universe, it just hasn't quite worked right.

After seeing Snyder's cut and plans for the future, I think his plan could have worked, but as everyone pretty much so agrees, they rushed it and didn't allow the characters to develop enough before throwing them together.

DC vs MCU? What's next in here Star Trek vs Star Wars? Battlestar Galactica vs Firefly? These topics have a place and it is the Politics Discussion Board!

tumblr_nx9x84ZYJ41shob51o1_400.gifv

I think DC has a Superman problem. You have to include him because he's either the biggest or second biggest star in the DC universe. But, it's hard to put together a story line with Batman and Superman. First they are polar opposites in that Superman is all for "truth, justice, and the American way" and Batman is more about revenge and vigilante justice. Batman is always on the line of being a villain and Superman is always perfectly clean and moral. It's hard to team up those two characters.

In addition, Superman is virtually indestructible where as Batman is just some smart, rich guy. Any villain strong enough to be a match for Superman would instantly destroy Batman. So, I just think it's hard to have a story that uses both of those characters well. They kind of don't belong in the same universe. I mean, The Joker is a great villain for Batman, but Superman would take him out in 20 seconds.

And to be honest, I've never been a big Superman fan. He's always seemed overpowered and much less interesting than Batman.
This really says it for me. That's one of the reasons why I liked this version -- Superman was in it just long enough for the initial endorphins to fire when he was kicking Steppenwolf's arse, like, oh NOW the varsity has taken the field! And I thought the movie nicely contrasted the power variances between Superman, WW and Batman. But I don't see how you sustain that power contrast for a whole movie, at least not unless Batman essentially becomes Alfred (leading things from afar) or he's in a different environment altogether from the super-being battles.

Also, as you alluded in a later post, kryptonite just becomes a problem after awhile -- hell, I remember rolling my eyes when I was 11 much less now on the big screen.

Actually, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Flash is actually the most powerful superbeing if they really existed -- I think this view was based on either his destroying the entire universe due to attaining such speeds or messing around with time -- can't remember which.

It's a shame because probably the most interesting idea in the movie is the future where things are so bad the heroes and villains are forced to join forces in a fight for survival. Batman teaming up with The Joker?! Are you kidding me? That would be awesome. Although I don't know what Joker could possibly contribute in a fight to the death against Superman and Darkseid.

It's a shame because probably the most interesting idea in the movie is the future where things are so bad the heroes and villains are forced to join forces in a fight for survival. Batman teaming up with The Joker?! Are you kidding me? That would be awesome. Although I don't know what Joker could possibly contribute in a fight to the death against Superman and Darkseid.

Well, it was literally Batman's dream. That's not happening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom