Justice League trailer [Oh yeah, *spoilers*] (2 Viewers)

I think their problem is that they don't understand that these types of movies are supposed to be fun. I actually liked this one and even though hey threw in some cheap jokes, it still wasn't fun. Their whole tone is just doom and gloom.

I think their problem is that they don't understand that these types of movies are supposed to be fun. I actually liked this one and even though hey threw in some cheap jokes, it still wasn't fun. Their whole tone is just doom and gloom.

I disagree, I thought this movie was a lot of fun. Some of the writing was weak and a lot of the CG was pretty crappy, but I liked most of the humor. I even liked the villain ok, just not how wooden he looked. I suspect it would have been a much better movie if execs hadn't insisted it be cut to 2 hours.

Went to watch after the Saints game. I'd probably rate it 6.5 or 7 out of 10. I thought it was entertaining enough. CGI didn't bother me. I'd definitely put it above MoS and BvS, but that isn't saying much. Not as good as WW, but a decent comic book movie.

Final tally for the opening weekend came in and it was actually $94 million, which is $2 million less than the already disappointing estimates.

This is not good for WB or the DCEU. At all.

I know those that don't really follow box office will think $94 million is huge, but it's a massively disappointing number. Word on the street is that the budget for this thing ballooned to $300 million after reshoots, and it can't even crack Thor: Ragnarok's opening weekend, nevermind not even coming close to Avengers numbers. Hell, this is $8 million less than Wonder Woman made opening weekend.

They have some hard decisions to make going forward. The success of Wonder Woman shows that people will turn out if the movie is good. It looks like bad buzz did in JL, as the tracking slowly fell from an expected opening in the $120 region (which is still a low number for something like JL) to what we have now.

I'm already seeing talk again about them doing Flashpoint to reboot the DCEU. This pops up every so often and I don't know how serious they are about it, but there is no denying they've turned off audiences and they need something big to bring them back in. They've got a mess on their hands.

Could a Flashpoint reboot work? Possibly. You get the big initial selling point of seeing established characters in an alternate universe setting, then you can hit the reset button and keep what works and change what hasn't. I would say it's risky, but at this point they just can't keep doing what they've been doing. They have ONE unmitigated financial and critical success (Wonder Woman) in five movies. That's a pretty poor average.

To put just how bad these numbers are relative to the property into perspective, I found this on Reddit:

Domestic B.O.
Film (Year, Budget) - opening weekend
The Avengers (2012, $220 million) - $207.4 million
Age of Ultron (2015, $250 million) - $191.3 million
CA: Civil War (2016, $250 million) - $179.1 million
BvS (2016, $250 million) - $166 million
TDKR (2012, $250 million) - $160.9 million
TDK (2008, $185 million) - $158.4 million
GotG 2 (2017, $200 million) - $146.5 million
Suicide Squad (2016, $175 million) - $133.7 million
Deadpool (R-Rated, 2016, $58 million) - $132.4 million
Thor: Ragnarok (2017, $180 million) - $122.7 million
Spidey: HC (2017, $175 million) - $117.0 million
Man of Steel (2013, $225 million) - $116.6 million
Wonder Woman (2017, $149 million) - $103.3 million
The Avengers second weekend - $103 million
Iron Man (2008, $140 million) - $98.6 million ($113.4 million when adjusted for inflation)
CA: Winter Soldier (2014, $170 million) - $95.0 million
GotG 1 (2014, $170 million) - $94.3 million
Justice League (2017, $300 million?) - $94 million

X-Men DofP (2014, $200 million) - $90.8 million
Logan (R-rated, 2017, $97 million) - $88.4 million
Doctor Strange (2016, $165 million) - $85.1 million

I mean...damn. Justice League could barely muster a better opening weekend than Doctor Strange who, as much as I love the character, is far from a household name.

And honestly? I look for the weekend to weekend drops to be REALLY bad. Coco (new Pixar movie) comes out next week, then Last Jedi in three weeks.

Yeah, this is a disaster for WB/DC.

I don't really think they need to Flashpoint it, just make better movies. WW proves that if they make a great movie it will be well received and make money. Knock it out the park with WW2, Aquaman, Batman, Green Lantern and the Flash. If you're going to use the Act 3 version of Superman make a Man of steel 2. Use those to set up the next Justice League. If those are good and JL is well marketed you can bounce back.

It doesn't need to be like the Marvel films, it just needs to be good. The problem is with the exception of WW none of it has been good. Audiences are forgiving. Gal Gadot was terrible in BvS, but we all forgot that after WW because she knocked it out the park and gave us the definitive Wonder Woman so the movie made a mint.

This is fixable, but they are going to have to actually make good movies.

They need to give the DCEU to Patty Jenkins and call it a day.

Further proof that Zach Snyder and the WB execs need to be hanged for this. Snyder came up with this stupid idea of what the DCEU should look like and they approved it.

They need to give the DCEU to Patty Jenkins and call it a day.

I disagree. If they really want Johns to be the Kevin Feige of DC, then let him and get the hell out of his way. Let it sink or swim under his charge.

Supposedly part* of the deal that saw Brian Michael Bendis (who most presumed to be a Marvel lifer) jump ship to to DC a couple of weeks ago was a seat at the table for movie stuff. He had been shut out of the MCU since they dissolved the creative committee a couple of years ago. I don't think he would be "the guy" but Geoff Johns did make it sound like they would be working together in many different capacities.

*A lot of other hearsay as to why that move happened. Rumors of a fight at the New York writer's retreat prior to NYC Comic Con where Bendis was called out for not selling books like he used to, and his reply was something to the effect of "The only thing that sells at Marvel anymore is Spider-Man and Star Wars." Drama!

Supposedly part* of the deal that saw Brian Michael Bendis (who most presumed to be a Marvel lifer) jump ship to to DC a couple of weeks ago was a seat at the table for movie stuff. He had been shut out of the MCU since they dissolved the creative committee a couple of years ago. I don't think he would be "the guy" but Geoff Johns did make it sound like they would be working together in many different capacities.

*A lot of other hearsay as to why that move happened. Rumors of a fight at the New York writer's retreat prior to NYC Comic Con where Bendis was called out for not selling books like he used to, and his reply was something to the effect of "The only thing that sells at Marvel anymore is Spider-Man and Star Wars." Drama!
I am so not a fan of Bendis. He'll do more harm than anything else.

I am not a huge Bendis fan. I liked his earlier stuff at Marvel (Ultimate Spidey, Alias, etc.) but he eventually just settled into a rut and everything he wrote has the same issues: every character speaks in the exact same voice and with the exact same Joss Whedon-esque banter dialogue, and he decompresses his stories to such a stupid degree that you never feel like anything happens in an issue.

I'm skeptical at a late career resurgence. Eventually it is the fate of all comic writers to settle into their worst habits and turn into parodies of themselves. Compare, say, 80's Chris Claremont with X-Treme X-Men Chris Claremont to see what I'm getting at.

But he does know comics. And at this point, someone who knows comics is better than Zack Snyder, who didn't really know comics so much as he knew Alan Moore and Frank Miller. I feel the same way about Johns. I have some misgivings about him as a creators (although I think his Justice Society work is freaking incredible), but he knows comics. He loves comics. Snyder never had the genuine love of comics. His entry point was the deconstructionist stuff, and it has informed everything he's done. And it's led us to this point. He never really got the characters or archetypes he was working with.

One of the reasons the MCU has been so successful is Kevin Feige is a legit comic book fan. You need someone who understands these things at the helm to even have a fighting chance.

I am not a huge Bendis fan. I liked his earlier stuff at Marvel (Ultimate Spidey, Alias, etc.) but he eventually just settled into a rut and everything he wrote has the same issues: every character speaks in the exact same voice and with the exact same Joss Whedon-esque banter dialogue, and he decompresses his stories to such a stupid degree that you never feel like anything happens in an issue.

I'm skeptical at a late career resurgence. Eventually it is the fate of all comic writers to settle into their worst habits and turn into parodies of themselves. Compare, say, 80's Chris Claremont with X-Treme X-Men Chris Claremont to see what I'm getting at.

But he does know comics. And at this point, someone who knows comics is better than Zack Snyder, who didn't really know comics so much as he knew Alan Moore and Frank Miller. I feel the same way about Johns. I have some misgivings about him as a creators (although I think his Justice Society work is freaking incredible), but he knows comics. He loves comics. Snyder never had the genuine love of comics. His entry point was the deconstructionist stuff, and it has informed everything he's done. And it's led us to this point. He never really got the characters or archetypes he was working with.

One of the reasons the MCU has been so successful is Kevin Feige is a legit comic book fan. You need someone who understands these things at the helm to even have a fighting chance.
Totally agree about a writer's days being numbered. Case in point, Neal Adams' new Deadman book. Great art, horrible story.

Yeah, this is a disaster for WB/DC.

I don't really think they need to Flashpoint it, just make better movies. WW proves that if they make a great movie it will be well received and make money. Knock it out the park with WW2, Aquaman, Batman, Green Lantern and the Flash. If you're going to use the Act 3 version of Superman make a Man of steel 2. Use those to set up the next Justice League. If those are good and JL is well marketed you can bounce back.

It doesn't need to be like the Marvel films, it just needs to be good. The problem is with the exception of WW none of it has been good. Audiences are forgiving. Gal Gadot was terrible in BvS, but we all forgot that after WW because she knocked it out the park and gave us the definitive Wonder Woman so the movie made a mint.

This is fixable, but they are going to have to actually make good movies.
The thing about it is they just can't shake the bad rep and the mob is fickle. JL is not a horrible flick and if the critics would just be honest about it instead of resorting to a reflex ridicule of all thing DC, maybe more people would have checked it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom