Juwan Johnson preparing for switch to TE (per Nick Underhill) (1 Viewer)

We tend to do this every other offseason - switch a player to a new position. Unfortunately in most cases it hasn't worked.
In the past we've tried to:

Switch Hicks from a DT to DE - Failed
Switch Kaleb Eulls from DT to G - Failed
Switch Nate Wozniak from TE to LT - Failed
Switch Dan Arnold from WR to TE - Successful (currently enjoying success with another team)

Honorable Mentions:
Haulio Kikaha
Zach Baun

Kikaha had some success early on, but his last season here he was switched to a completely different position and was unsuccessful which forced us to cut him.
And of course the jury is still out on Zach Baun.

Long story short: Don't get your hopes up on Juwan Johnson. I remember seeing playing time against the Chiefs and maybe against another team and didn't really look impressive. I do hope it works out, but i'm not having any huge expectations right now.

Well, sure, the success rate isn't going to be high and people should keep their expectations in check. I hope that's pretty well understood. Typically, a player is already on the bubble to even explore a position change, so it's a longshot from inception.

But trying to move a player to a position that might create a more realistic pathway to making the roster, and where they have a better chance to contribute, can be a part of the process of identifying and developing talent. In some situations it makes sense to give it a try. Johnson is already facing an uphill battle to make the team at WR, so seeing if there's a potential fit at TE is worth a shot.

We tend to do this every other offseason - switch a player to a new position. Unfortunately in most cases it hasn't worked.
In the past we've tried to:

Switch Hicks from a DT to DE - Failed
Switch Kaleb Eulls from DT to G - Failed
Switch Nate Wozniak from TE to LT - Failed
Switch Dan Arnold from WR to TE - Successful (currently enjoying success with another team)

Honorable Mentions:
Haulio Kikaha
Zach Baun

Kikaha had some success early on, but his last season here he was switched to a completely different position and was unsuccessful which forced us to cut him.
And of course the jury is still out on Zach Baun.

Long story short: Don't get your hopes up on Juwan Johnson. I remember seeing playing time against the Chiefs and maybe against another team and didn't really look impressive. I do hope it works out, but i'm not having any huge expectations right now.

I also forgot... Tommy Stevens.
Unsuccessful

Thanks for more supporting data and proving the point of moving Johnson to TE. The only position move that applies is Arnold to TE and that is a success. He may not be with the Saints anymore, but his move is a success. The Stevens move was a QB to TE, but more like another Taysom type player. The QB to TE converts in the league are Blake Bell, Logan Thomas, Robert Tonyan (QB to WR to TE) and now Tebow.

Based on your post, Payton is 1 for 1 and batting 1.000 for converting WRs to TEs. I like his chances on Johnson.

Dan Roushar has been an amazing RB coach and o-line coach for us, but I'm concerned with the loss of Cambpell and the move of Roushar to coach both RB's and TE's.

Looks like JJ scored an 88.7 with his blocking last year👀. Man, I’m rooting for this to provide dividends

That combined with what his RAS could be as a TE with a little weight/strength gain. I'm rooting for him for the Saints and for my dynasty football team to succeed at the conversion to TE.

Johnson has gotten a ton of hype from players and the route God dude.

We may have a breakout duo at TE with Trautman and Johnson.

Johnson has gotten a ton of hype from players and the route God dude.

We may have a breakout duo at TE with Trautman and Johnson.
I think he can make the transition if the staff thinks to do the move. Route god...I have seen garage trainers with more validity and I don't take anything he says with any weight, though.

I think they're thinking about the Dan Arnold situation. Dan should have worked but he kept dropping balls. I think JJ is a better receiver and will catch everything thrown his way.

I think they're thinking about the Dan Arnold situation. Dan should have worked but he kept dropping balls. I think JJ is a better receiver and will catch everything thrown his way.

Arnold has improved his catch rate.

2018: 63%
2019: 57%
2020: 69%

It will be interesting to see how Arnold does with Carolina this season.

JJ has about 1" larger hands, longer arms and wingspan than Arnold.

Mitchell Loewen, another failed position change. One of these days, it may work out.

I think he can make the transition if the staff thinks to do the move. Route god...I have seen garage trainers with more validity and I don't take anything he says with any weight, though.
Pretty sure Nick Underhill isn't interviewing garage trainers with a list of NFL WRs under his wing. It's one thing to question his validity, but to discredit him is a bit unnecessary. He got a real resume.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom