Juwan Johnson preparing for switch to TE (per Nick Underhill) (1 Viewer)

I always thought that Boo Williams could have been better given the proper coaching. As is, he did well given where he started.
That's a name I haven't heard in awhile. He was a legit threat for us, but he went downhill (or he wasn't targeted) when we decided to feature both he and Ernie Conwell. That two TE offense was suppose to give DCs sleepless nights. Well it was the exact opposite and I believe that plan was quickly phased out.

That's a name I haven't heard in awhile. He was a legit threat for us, but he went downhill (or he wasn't targeted) when we decided to feature both he and Ernie Conwell. That two TE offense was suppose to give DCs sleepless nights. Well it was the exact opposite and I believe that plan was quickly phased out.

Speaking of 2 TE sets, it looks like NE is going back to featuring 2 TEs. They signed Jonnu Smith, Hunter Hentry, Troy Fumagalli and drafted Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene last year.

Yep. Mccarthy started thinking he could re-invent the wheel as a OC. He was already adding vernacular and verbage to the playcalling, which was tough on players. He came up with wanting to make a no FB, 2 TE set for a base O. The players hated it and it just didn't work. During his tenure, he wasn't much on developing schemes around personnel, he thought he could insert any player and it was only not productive due to their execution. This was installed all off season and scrapped early in the season. He added even more to the complex O and more verbage to a point where Brooks didn't have enough time to even call the plays in the huddle. It was simplified causing even more woes on O and wasted time on installs and such. He was/is a very hard headed, arrogant coach. We produced numbers in his years here but basically broke Deuce and contributed to stunting Brook's development, as well. Never was a fan.

Sadly one of my only memories of Boo Williams was (on a final drive) him needing to convert on a 1st down and either he fumbled it, or he didn’t stretch out his arm (either way we didn’t convert, and that was the play that killed any hope for a win).

Sadly one of my only memories of Boo Williams was (on a final drive) him needing to convert on a 1st down and either he fumbled it, or he didn’t stretch out his arm (either way we didn’t convert, and that was the play that killed any hope for a win).

Sounds like Jared Cook.

I always thought that Boo Williams could have been better given the proper coaching. As is, he did well given where he started.
He started off great after making his transition, then got to heavy in later years and was less affective (lost his athleticism from being a WR) he started at 235lbs got to 250lbs and made plays then was out the league at 270lbs.

Yep. Mccarthy started thinking he could re-invent the wheel as a OC. He was already adding vernacular and verbage to the playcalling, which was tough on players. He came up with wanting to make a no FB, 2 TE set for a base O. The players hated it and it just didn't work. During his tenure, he wasn't much on developing schemes around personnel, he thought he could insert any player and it was only not productive due to their execution. This was installed all off season and scrapped early in the season. He added even more to the complex O and more verbage to a point where Brooks didn't have enough time to even call the plays in the huddle. It was simplified causing even more woes on O and wasted time on installs and such. He was/is a very hard headed, arrogant coach. We produced numbers in his years here but basically broke Deuce and contributed to stunting Brook's development, as well. Never was a fan.
Good point. I know Brooks caught most of the heat, but we never really looked at the coaches and how they played a part as well. We had the talent on offense to mirror the Rams (to an extent), but never done so. I believe a bunch of that fell on Haslett too. Boo Williams would have been great for us, had the coaches not out think themselves.

That was Haslett's doing, we have to remember initially McCarthy was using 5 wide sets in shotgun and multiple sets initially then Halsett (a defensive head coach) wanted to go more smash mouth with the two tightend sets and heavy run game reliance. Look how explosive McCarthy offenses were with GB it was simular to how he coached the Saints offense in the early 2000's.

Completely random but just saw this guy at a planet fitness in Atlanta.

Add another player to the list of WR converting to TE. Jordan Matthews is converting to TE. He reportedly added 30lbs this offseason to bulk up for TE. If that's accurate, it would put him at 6'3" 245lbs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom