K.Lewis better at zone or man-to-man? (1 Viewer)

The analysis is off, I believe steelers fan charted his plays and concluded that he was a far superior in man coverage compared to zone coverages.

Press man, which we will play a bunch, it's why we got him. we will challenge them a bunch at the line and give our pass rush more time.

I'm not really all that surprised. Under GW, our corners were much better in man coverage as opposed to zone. From my recollection, last year we played a significant amount more zone than we did under GW. Hopefully adding another good man cover corner and playing more man-press will help our secondary as well as our pass rush by giving our DL an extra second or so to get in the QBs face or even sack him.

The article actually says his specialty is zone.

Well, kind of...it actually says he's "probably better suited for" zone. Although, it doesn't say he can't play man. It's kind of confusing, but I took that as him being better at zone, but still solid at man. Wasn't that the same as what people were saying about Greer when he first came to N.O.?

Watching him play, he'll give up some deep balls because he doesn't have top end speed, but he's definitely better at man

They brought him in because he's a bigger, more physical corner...same reason we drafted vacarro

Rob ryan doesn't care about all the cute little speedy guys on offense. He wants to hit you in the mouth right when the ball is snapped.

We are going to see a lot of press man this year...thanks to guys like Lewis, Greer, Jenkins and vacarro...we should have a lot of success doing it

There will be situations when he will need to play both. Bottom line is that he's a good young player and should thrive in Rob Ryans schemes.

Speaking of Lewis, I was watching the Sound FX episode of Mike Tomlin, and they had Lewis talking to Casey Hampton on the sidelines and Keenan said "man you have to work on your deference, so you can submit to my whims and wishes".

Made me think of Jabari Greer, extremely smart guy who has a sense of humor about him.

Watching him play, he'll give up some deep balls because he doesn't have top end speed, but he's definitely better at man

They brought him in because he's a bigger, more physical corner...same reason we drafted vacarro

Rob ryan doesn't care about all the cute little speedy guys on offense. He wants to hit you in the mouth right when the ball is snapped.

We are going to see a lot of press man this year...thanks to guys like Lewis, Greer, Jenkins and vacarro...we should have a lot of success doing it

I can't tell you how many times I wished our CB's the past couple of years would press their man instead of giving him a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 8.

I can't tell you how many times I wished our CB's the past couple of years would press their man instead of giving him a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 8.

That's all schematic

Not really an issue with the corners although putting man corners in a strictly zone scheme made them look Jason David-esque

They are good players...they can play better than the team let on last year

Oh my..no joke..especially Robinson. I'd be thinking "What are you doing? They need 7 yards and you're 10 yards off"

What would they do?! Throw a 5 yard pass, Robinson would come up miss a tackle or he'd wait for the WR to come to him..yeah, that was smart!

Others may disagree, but IMO, P Rob is one of the most athletic players we have on the entire team. After a quiet rookie season, he seemed to be coming around in 2011, and had 4 pics. We went to zone last year, and while he had another 3 INTs, he was often "lost" out there. Going back to man plays to his athleticism, but he still needs work on his technique if he's gonna take his play to that "next level".

And its not just P Rob. With all the talented, but young DBs we have, they'll NEED a COACH who can TEACH! I think thats why the Saints hired Wes McGriiff outta Ole Miss for the job. Jimmy Graham, who was at the U when McGriff was their DB coach agrees:

"Graham said he is excited about McGriff joining the Saints and says the 22-year coaching veteran is a great fit for the black and gold.
“Coach McGriff will be a great addition to our team,” said Graham. “His experience and work ethic along with being an excellent teacher will make him an asset to our team.”
Graham said the thing that impressed him the most about McGriff was his ability to develop young defensive backs."

:9:

I just love when people complain that a player is giving a cushion at cb. Do you really think the player decides to do that on his own or do you think the coach/defensive play call requires the cushion and the player is doing what he is suppose to do? Any player going rogue and doing what he wants to do regardless of the call won't be left on the field long.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom