Kamara's trade value (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems highly unlikely that the Saints and Kamara before any 2020 season can reach a contract extension and in my view unlikely that the Saints will be able to resign Kamara after a 2020 season. If Kamara leaves after 2020, one would expect the Saints to receive a third - round supplemental pick, depending on whom the Saints might sign in free agency.

I know that the idea of trading Kamara now is not a popular one--but every player can be traded for the right price. What is Kamara's?

I would not trade him for less than a first - round pick. But for a top 15 pick, I would trade him now. He is not worth the 13 to 15 million per year he will demand as a free agent, and running backs can be replaced.

He won’t be traded because:

1. we wouldn’t get worth his value because he played hurt last year. Teams would offer less and we would demand more so it’s not gonna happen.

2. Brees isn’t coming back for 1 more year just so we can get rid of one of his favorite targets and arguably our second best offensive player

So from the standpoint of the Saints, what's his value?

I agree that a trade is unlikely--unless he initiates a holdout.

What is the trade value from the point of view of a team interested to trade for him?

That team should also consider that they will have to sign Alvin long term.

So the question is, should whatever another team will offer be more real value for the saints then having Alvin this season?

I don’t think so.

KC would love to have him, but financially cannot resign him. Any team trading for Kamara would likely consider the chances of resigning him and perhaps have an agreement n place before any trade.

So from the standpoint of the Saints, what's his value?

I agree that a trade is unlikely--unless he initiates a holdout.

His value to the Saints this year is whatever player or players it would take to replace his production in the passing and running game as well as a 1st round pick. I'm sure that's not a price that anyone is willing to pay but this is likely Brees' last year and last real shot at a Super Bowl. You can't let your 2nd best offensive player go (and second best is really good when Mike Thomas is your best) without getting his replacement in return. His replacement just isn't available in this draft.

But, obviously if he decided to hold out, a trade becomes a much more attractive option.

My nomination for a rookie who could provide greater value in 2020: Jerry Jeudy.

I think it's highly unlikely that Jeudy or any rookie is going to come close to Kamara's production in the passing game. Especially since Kamara's role is so different from a regular WR. That' particularly true this year where rookies are not likely to get the training and work with the team that they would get in a normal year.

But even if a rookie WR could provide that, they can't replace what he does in the running game.

Last edited:
He won’t be traded because:

1. we wouldn’t get worth his value because he played hurt last year. Teams would offer less and we would demand more so it’s not gonna happen.

2. Brees isn’t coming back for 1 more year just so we can get rid of one of his favorite targets and arguably our second best offensive player
Interesting angle. I’ve been saying since the end of last season that Kamara wouldn’t play for us this year. Don’t get me wrong, I love AK. Our history of not signing backs to big deals made me feel like we would try to get something for him.

With that potential big deal looming, any team involved in a trade held have to be okay with either renting him for a year, re-doing his deal now or prepared to pay him next year. What is someone willing to give up for that uncertainty? Looking at it in this way changed my mind some about the possibility of a trade happening but as you said, would Brees possibly make this a contingency of his return?

Not to be vague, but a player’s value is what a trading team values him at. If there is a team that is willing to give up a 1st, then that is his worth. So on and so on.

I wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility of Kamara being traded, but I’d say it’s very unlikely. I don’t think the Saints would entertain anything other than a 1st, unless another player is thrown in. Also, if I’m another team, I don’t want to give a first for him, knowing he’s due a massive contract next year. I think it’s in our best interest, at least for the short term, to hold onto him. After Brees, I’d say more serious moves are more than likely coming.

I don't think anyone is going to give us the kind of picks we would want on a one year rental. I am concerned about him potentially holding out. I think we need to keep our eyes open in this draft for another running back we could pair with Murray in the event AK holds out. Even if he does hold out... at some point he's going to have to come back and play to get an accrued season. Then next year we can let him walk and hopefully get a 3rd round comp pick. I can't see us paying top dollar for any running back. It hasn't worked out well for the teams that have done it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom