Karate Kid III: a serious discussion about not serious sequels (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I am about to pick Netflix back up and watch the latest season of Cobra Kai. So I saw Karate Kid III was listed on Prime and I could not remember if I had ever seen it. Now that I have, I am not sure if I in fact never saw it or if I just blocked it from my memory as one might do with life trauma.

So what happened? Through most of my life, sequels are rarely as good as the first with a few notable exceptions. But it has usually been true that a sequel of a true hit will not fail due to budget. The formula usually gives sequels a bigger budget in my experience. This thing took horrible in every direction. The script is bad but it is eclipsed by the worst acting I have seen in a long time. From the girlfriend/not girlfriend to Kreese rich friend and OMG the henchmen. The worst lines delivered in the worst ways. At one point Kreese and his buddies are laughing and I swear it looks like Dr Evil and all of his henchmen doing that laugh where they just don't stop.

Dr Evil Mike Myers GIF - DrEvil MikeMyers AustinPowers GIFs

and what is the deal with Daniels love life? At the beginning of 2, they turn Ally into a complete birch to write her off. Then he goes to Okinawa (also cheesy but not in the zip code with 3, in fact I liked it a bit) and he and Miagi are bringing the girls home. But they get off the plane at the beginning of 3 and no girls. Kreese knuckles are not even healed from the fight at the end of the first one and Daniels fallen in and out of love with two of the loves of his life. So they just don't even go there in 3. He meets the new girl but she tells him on date 1 that she will be going back to her old boyfriend. Weren't the first 2, at least in part, love stories? What a train wreck.

When producers could factor in video rentals and HBO/showtime showings, there really wasn’t much incentive to work too hard on sequels

Three decades later and somehow the horrible sequels have set the stage for one of the best series (Cobra Kai) ever.

point. But I would maintain that what made this series work is the evolution of Johnny and Johnny was only in the first. But I have only seen the first two and I know there are more surprises ahead for me. But unless the Okinawan girl makes appearance I can’t imagine me being interested in any of the cast from two or three. Unless they have been taking acting classes ever since.

point. But I would maintain that what made this series work is the evolution of Johnny and Johnny was only in the first. But I have only seen the first two and I know there are more surprises ahead for me. But unless the Okinawan girl makes appearance I can’t imagine me being interested in any of the cast from two or three. Unless they have been taking acting classes ever since.

You should avoid spoilers. How the series has been able to tie in awful sequel details into a nice little package is nothing short of brilliant. It’s campy...but I’m not sure I’ve seen a series quite like Cobra Kai. The writing has been unbelievably good.

Kreese knuckles are not even healed from the fight at the end of the first one and Daniels fallen in and out of love with two of the loves of his life. So they just don't even go there in 3. He meets the new girl but she tells him on date 1 that she will be going back to her old boyfriend. Weren't the first 2, at least in part, love stories? What a train wreck.
Apparently the actress in KK3 was only 16. So they decided against any PDA or clear insinuation of romance.

Apparently the actress in KK3 was only 16. So they decided against any PDA or clear insinuation of romance.

well I’m sure she was the only one available. That is interesting though.

I enjoyed the fluffy jeans that were so unflattering at about the same time as the unflattering big hair lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom