Karen Memes (2 Viewers)

n7i5iw3yusb21.jpg

The most plausible theory I've heard is it originated as people meming Henry Hill's coked up rants at his wife Karen from "Goodfellas" and then grew from there.

I though it all started over a year ago when that woman called the cops on black people that were in a park barbecuing because they were black and barbecuing in the park, whose name actually was actually Becky. Then some woman named Patty called the cops some black kid for selling umbrellas on the sidewalk. Those common names just became a generic white woman name like Karen.

I think the original was BBQ Becky.

White women's just need to get the fork over themselves, said this white woman.

By the way, I call my sister Karen all the time. Because that's her name? (No. But it is) but she embodies all that is a Karen and may, in fact, be the prototype.
So what you’re saying is that she’s patient zero?

I though it all started over a year ago when that woman called the cops on black people that were in a park barbecuing because they were black and barbecuing in the park, whose name actually was actually Becky. Then some woman named Patty called the cops some black kid for selling umbrellas on the sidewalk. Those common names just became a generic white woman name like Karen.

I think the original was BBQ Becky.

This is when it burst in to widespread usage, but it had been around (especially on black twitter) before that

There was a "Karen" subreddit as early as 2017. A full year before BBQ Becky.

If you look at the earliest "Karen" stuff, it's not quite what it is now. It's mostly copypasta expressing exasperation at "Karen" or ranting at her in a way that seems like up with the possible Goodfellas origin. Most of them can be read in the voice of a screaming Ray Liotta and make perfect sense. Over time it snowballed and picked up negative tropes associated with a certain type of middle aged white woman and became what we know today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom