Kawaan Baker (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Kawaan Baker looked good in the preseason and was one of the few receivers who created separation consistently. He looked better than Montgomery by far. I wonder why he’s not given a chance to play considering our wide receivers level of production. Especially with Harris out we could use another fast, shifty guy. I know Montgomery contributes a lot on special teams so Baker could fill in for someone else. I would certainly play Baker over Humphrey and even Hogan.

With all the chances that Payton has given TLL and Humphrey etc over the years I think we’re really missing out on Baker who had real potential.

Don’t get your hopes up. If he couldn’t crack the lineup with what we lined up at WR from week 1 until now, then that says something about him
I’m not so sure about that. It could be trust, lack of work with the 1’s, run blocking. Things other than route running. But what we need now is route running.

I suspect that what Payton values more than pure talent right now is confidence in route running and knowing the playbook. I have no idea if that’s an issue with Baker but I certainly trust Payton to know.

I’m not so sure about that. It could be trust, lack of work with the 1’s, run blocking. Things other than route running. But what we need now is route running.
Jinx buy you a coke.

I thought Kawaan Baker looked good in the preseason and was one of the few receivers who created separation consistently. He looked better than Montgomery by far. I wonder why he’s not given a chance to play considering our wide receivers level of production. Especially with Harris out we could use another fast, shifty guy. I know Montgomery contributes a lot on special teams so Baker could fill in for someone else. I would certainly play Baker over Humphrey and even Hogan.

With all the chances that Payton has given TLL and Humphrey etc over the years I think we’re really missing out on Baker who had real potential.
Let me put you on game. You seen what Calloway was doing in the preseason and you see what he did the first 2 games. You see what Zach Wilson did in preseason and what he is doing now. Say it with me, PRESEASON.

I was hopeful for Baker, but I guess he needs another year of coaching to make the 53. Not to hijack the thread but, if he figures it all out and Jalen McCleskey comes back full strength then we may have a solid WR corps next season.

Sean will play any player, no matter their draft stock (or lack there of) who can contribute. We saw it with guys like Colston and Pierre Thomas. Baker isn’t playing because Sean doesn’t think he belongs on the field, and that says a lot considering the status of the WR room.

Let me put you on game. You seen what Calloway was doing in the preseason and you see what he did the first 2 games. You see what Zach Wilson did in preseason and what he is doing now. Say it with me, PRESEASON.
PRESEASON
In all caps

Playbook, film practice. These 3 will answer why. Either he hasn't been comprehending the playbook. He's not adjusting his preformance based on the film, he's not blowing them away in practice. All equal a talented player on the PS. I had hopes for him to contribute out of the slot I feel like he can do well as a possession target can seperate, he's got the speed to make house calls in open space so to me it's down to 3 things. Playbook, Film Practice

Very few WRs have stepped into our offense and "got it" right away. It took E. Sanders a while to catch on last year and he's about as experienced a veteran as there is in the league. I don't think riding the practice squad really tells us anything about Baker or his future on our team. Sean Payton has proven many times over the years that he values knowledge of the system and experience over physical talent and potential. He doesn't want players out there making mistakes. He'd rather a guy who's where he's supposed to be, when he's supposed to be there. If a guy gets beat physically, he probably feels he can scheme around that to a point. A guy in the wrong place wrecks the whole play many times. This is especially true in our offense at OL and WR.

I'm not saying that Kawaan will ever develop into anything, just that it's too early to tell. We've seen a lot of guys just like him disappear over time. We've also seen a few develop into contributors given enough time. We've also seen guys just him hang around for years with all of whodat nation scratching their head and wondering why they're still here.

It’s extremely rare that a team has 4 WR spots up for grabs entering a season. The only WRs that were guaranteed a spot was Callaway and Harris. Despite what he lacked, if there was anything that SP thought that could make even the littlest impact, then he would have been on the opening day roster. I get that many of you like to look at things from a Super fan perspective and will defend our players til the bitter end, but sometimes you have to be real with yourself. Maybe the light comes on next year? Maybe he puts in the work that is needed during the off-season? What was evident, was that he didn’t make a WR unit that was clearly up for grabs. Heck, he even had 3 weeks to do something before we sought help with Kenny Stills. A guy who I’m sure SP had reservations about bringing back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom