Saints Kay Adams: Eli Apple will show up vs. the Eagles (2 Viewers)

Please, PLEASE don't give up a huge pass interference penalty that leads to a touchdown. That's all I ask for.

Eli Apple has been getting singled out this week as the "weak link" in our defense... But from what I've been watching he's been one of our best players and certainly a significant part of the defense's mid season turnaround.

Eli Apple has been getting singled out this week as the "weak link" in our defense... But from what I've been watching he's been one of our best players and certainly a significant part of the defense's mid season turnaround.
Casual observers are looking at the one penalty per game that's been called on him and treat him like Brandon Browner 2.0. The difference is, Browner had a lot more penalties than even that called on him, and even when he wasn't flagged, he got roasted. If Apple can get that early-game consistency fixed, he will be as good of a number two corner as there is in the league (and as affordable, too).

No doubt Eli will be tested deep this game. A long PI penalty is as good as a completed pass and Pederson would be a fool to not try and exploit Eli’s tendency to get “grabby”.

I still find the stat that he only had one DPI penalty this year prior to joining the Saints...interesting.

We leave our corners on an island a lot, which makes them vulnerable to deep throws. Just have to hope our boys will be up to the task on sunday. A ferocious pass rush would help.

Apple will have to do his part on his side of the field this week as this is going to be a passing extravaganza on the part of the Eagles. He is going to be tested throughout this game and if he holds his own and does not commit one of those 40 -50 yard penalties then I believe this will be a going away win on Sunday. On the other hand if we start giving up huge chunk plays this is going to be a long and close game with the last possession being the difference one way or the other!

He gets tested the most, of course stats will make it look like he’s failed the most. Watch film on Crawley this season and it’s evident that Eli is holding his own.

I think you have to ask yourselves if we didn't have lattimore who would you consider our #1 corner? IMO that would be Eli. He's played fairly solid for us this year. He's gonna give up some plays and get some penalties.....that's the way the game is played now. Overall though I think he's been fine and I don't think we've seen his best game yet. Pretty sure that's gonna be this week.

I still find the stat that he only had one DPI penalty this year prior to joining the Saints...interesting.
It’s because we play him a lot more at the line of scrimmage. Bump and Run coverage in today’s NFL is always going to lead to more DPI especially early in the game. I think his play is built for playoff football though because they usually let the players play physical more. I think he’ll have a great game this Sunday. I’m tired of posters acting like he’s 07 Jason David or 2015 Brandon Browner. He’s a quality young DB.

Rev and Ellis have a really informative and stat based review on our secondary performance. They show that the deep ball is clearly not our issue on either side. The issue is underneath routes (less than 15yds). I dont have the link but if giving up deep passing plays is your concern search out Saints D vs Eagles Offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom