KDF's POST DRAFT GRADES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay the draft is finally over and now we can focus on the release of the NFL schedule then training camp. BTW shout out to the Carolina Panthers and their A+ draft. And now on to the grades:

1. Payton Turner: C- Marcus Davenport 2.0, we drafted what i hate the most in any player..........POTENTIAL!! I am hoping I'm wrong about him, I actually spent some more time researching him some more today and I came up with the same conclusion, we could have had him in the late 2nd round.

2. Pete Werner: B- Scott Shanle 2.0, nothing wrong with this pick except we could have gotten him lower, he is smart, good tackler, and rarely out of position. Just don't expect anything more than average and you won't be disappointed. Not the sideline to sideline backer I wanted. But Meh. Average.

3. Paulson Adebo: B+ I love the pick. Good but not great speed for a CB, enough twitch in his hips for the position, and a ballhawk. I knew the Saints were going to gift Kris Richard for coming over and now they have. Now finish this story off and go sign Richard Sherman.

4. Ian Book: C- Don't understand this pick one bit, but I can say this about every pick except Adebo. Not a fan of his arm strength, his balls float, and he has a tendency to just take off after going through his reads (something that he can teach Taysom Hill to do). If we drafted him with the intentions of him never starting and just holding a clipboard then B+ if we did expecting anything more shame on you.

5. Landon Young: B+ I like this pick alot. Some teams have a knack at drafting a certain position and getting it right everytime, when it comes to OL there is no one better than the Saints. This is a massive man that is not going to be asked to start or play right away and will get to learn from some of the best in the game. Awesome selection, Awesome pick. Go get'em big fella.

6. Kawaan Baker: C Meh. TQS 2.0, this a recurring theme. Ran a nice 40 at 4.43, when i watched his tape, I guessed 4.44. He played against subpar competition and put up subpar numbers......soooooo....Dollar store version TQS. I would have rather we drafted the Guard from Grambling. He is no threat to any WR currently on the roster, he is just TQS replacement when he leaves next offseason.
This is an excellent post for its type.

Did some homework, explained his reasons, changed one previous assessment based on a little more work.

Even if you don’t agree, don’t just throw a Falcon or a Goodell on it, make your points.

i see the concerns on Werner but I am a little more optimistic. Wife’s side of the family is all OSU so I see all their games. If your downside is Shanle 2.0, all he did was start every game for six-plus years and has the fifth most LB starts in franchise history (Jackson, Mills, Johnson, Federspiel) so that would be OK with me.

Peace everyone.

You're joking, right? That's literally what a draft is. You're picking players to play professionally based off of COLLEGE TAPE. You have no idea how they'll play at the next level, hence all the measurements and tests they go through along the way - an educated guess at their ability at the next leve. It'll never be anything more than that.
The problem is that it was a first-round pick.

First-round draft picks should be used for STARTERS who should have immediate impact. Cam Jordan is still playing, and most puzzling of all, they just picked up Davenport's option. DE should not have been the position for our first pick, and definitely not for a guy who wasn't even the best DE on the board at the time.

Potential is fine for later rounds, and had we picked Turner in Round 2 or 3, I'd be happy as a clam. But you get one or two shots every year at getting an immediate impact player, and in my opinion, sacrificed that for a largely unproven guy who's not going to unseat the players we already have starting this year.

First-round draft picks should be used for STARTERS who should have immediate impact. Cam Jordan is still playing, and most puzzling of all, they just picked up Davenport's option. DE should not have been the position for our first pick, and definitely not for a guy who wasn't even the best DE on the board at the time.

Potential is fine for later rounds, and had we picked Turner in Round 2 or 3, I'd be happy as a clam. But you get one or two shots every year at getting an immediate impact player, and in my opinion, sacrificed that for a largely unproven guy who's not going to unseat the players we already have starting this year.
I think he’s going to beat out Davenport. Don’t know if he’ll be starting week 1, but it’s just a matter of time imo. They know what they have in Davenport and I think they see Turner as his replacement, and probably more immediately than eventually.

Did you watch Jordan last year?

The guy looked like a shell of his former self. He's too slow coming off the edge now, maybe we move him inside on passing situations.

Werner is a much better athlete than Shanle was.

Shanle at the combine ran a 4.71 40, had a three-cone time of 7.27, had a vertical jump of 31, and had a broad jump of 111. His RAS was 6.79.

Werner at his pro day ran a 4.64 40, had a three-cone time of 6.95, had a vertical of 39.5, and had a broad jump of 122. His RAS is 9.49

I was just about to post this....perfect illustration of invalidating a lazy take on a player....those are markedly different athletes.....based on real evaluation. I think Werner is going to be just fine and I think Davis is going to be a great mentor to him regardless of where he plays....

I think he’s going to beat out Davenport. Don’t know if he’ll be starting week 1, but it’s just a matter of time imo. They know what they have in Davenport and I think they see Turner as his replacement, and probably more immediately than eventually.

I don't think it's a question of beating anyone out....the Saints clearly think MD is part of the immediate future as they executed the 5th year option (2022)....I think this is more how quickly Payton starts getting in the regular rotation....I don't think it will take long....

I don't think it's a question of beating anyone out....the Saints clearly think MD is part of the immediate future as they executed the 5th year option (2022)....I think this is more how quickly Payton starts getting in the regular rotation....I don't think it will take long....
Yeah, that’s what I’m saying. You said it better. I think things will start out with Davenport starting and Turner getting significant snaps to transitioning to Turner starting with Davenport getting significant snaps.

You can replace "potential" with PROJECT if you like.
Even then, every player is a projection. That’s what the draft is, projecting the impact a college player can have in the NFL based on traits and then drafting and developing him.

Some guys are or at least appear to be easier projections than others.

Remember the OSU DE...Vernon Gholston?

Easy projection or so people thought...how’d he turn out?

it’s all a crap shoot

I like the Werner pick, watched him in the playoffs and during the season, this guy is a baller, never far from the ball, sure tackler, impressed me against Alabama.
Book, I like this guy, he just does what it takes to win, he looked terrific against Clemson during the first game of the year......he reminds me of brees, does need pro level coaching and experience to make the big step.
Turner will be lining up in the middle as DT most of his initial year with Saints...we have several DE's with real game experience at this level.
Young will be a starter by next season.....
Adebo.....talent is great, but ball skills and intelligence is more important a the Pro level.

Okay the draft is finally over and now we can focus on the release of the NFL schedule then training camp. BTW shout out to the Carolina Panthers and their A+ draft. And now on to the grades:

1. Payton Turner: C- Marcus Davenport 2.0, we drafted what i hate the most in any player..........POTENTIAL!! I am hoping I'm wrong about him, I actually spent some more time researching him some more today and I came up with the same conclusion, we could have had him in the late 2nd round.

2. Pete Werner: B- Scott Shanle 2.0, nothing wrong with this pick except we could have gotten him lower, he is smart, good tackler, and rarely out of position. Just don't expect anything more than average and you won't be disappointed. Not the sideline to sideline backer I wanted. But Meh. Average.

3. Paulson Adebo: B+ I love the pick. Good but not great speed for a CB, enough twitch in his hips for the position, and a ballhawk. I knew the Saints were going to gift Kris Richard for coming over and now they have. Now finish this story off and go sign Richard Sherman.

4. Ian Book: C- Don't understand this pick one bit, but I can say this about every pick except Adebo. Not a fan of his arm strength, his balls float, and he has a tendency to just take off after going through his reads (something that he can teach Taysom Hill to do). If we drafted him with the intentions of him never starting and just holding a clipboard then B+ if we did expecting anything more shame on you.

5. Landon Young: B+ I like this pick alot. Some teams have a knack at drafting a certain position and getting it right everytime, when it comes to OL there is no one better than the Saints. This is a massive man that is not going to be asked to start or play right away and will get to learn from some of the best in the game. Awesome selection, Awesome pick. Go get'em big fella.

6. Kawaan Baker: C Meh. TQS 2.0, this a recurring theme. Ran a nice 40 at 4.43, when i watched his tape, I guessed 4.44. He played against subpar competition and put up subpar numbers......soooooo....Dollar store version TQS. I would have rather we drafted the Guard from Grambling. He is no threat to any WR currently on the roster, he is just TQS replacement when he leaves next offseason.

Platinumvinnyv's Full in depth analysis no other research required

1. Payton Turner: A+ Julius Pepper 2.0, why..........MAXXXX POTENTIAL!!

2. Pete Werner: A+ Luke Kuechly/Brian Urlacher 2.0. Great Untanned LB's watch out there's a new sheriff in town and he's from who dat nation

3. Paulson Adebo: A+ Richard Sherman 2.0 a corner that not very fast but coach by Kris Richard

4. Ian Book: A+ Notre Dame helmets are gold saints helmets are gold. No analysis Needed

5. Landon Young: A+ Sean Payton does this when drafting, Sean Payton O line automatic MAXXX POTENTIAL

6. Kawaan Baker: A+ TQS 2.0 Not sure what thats a bad thing in 7th round because its not so A+ of course

Looks like a poor man’s Anzalone. Werner will be compared to Jabril Cox next few years as he was one of best cover LBs from LSU in last 10 years (and will be needed against Pitts and other NFC South TEs).

I like Jabril Cox and had it been me picking, I would have taken Cox over Werner, but I'm just some dude that knows how to sign up for a free message board account. But, here is what we know:

1. Cox has a bad shoulder. Recently had shoulder surgery and the medicals showed that it is the type of repair that may never heal fully. So, many teams, possibly the Saints, may have had a medical red flag on him. Payton mentioned that the major problem this year was that without the Combine, it was hard to get full medical information on players and if they didn't have the information they would not draft a player;

2. Cox went two rounds after Werner. So a lot of teams had a medical red flag on him or many teams agreed with the Saints' evaluation of him.

Platinumvinnyv's Full in depth analysis no other research required

1. Payton Turner: A+ Julius Pepper 2.0, why..........MAXXXX POTENTIAL!!

2. Pete Werner: A+ Luke Kuechly/Brian Urlacher 2.0. Great Untanned LB's watch out there's a new sheriff in town and he's from who dat nation

3. Paulson Adebo: A+ Richard Sherman 2.0 a corner that not very fast but coach by Kris Richard

4. Ian Book: A+ Notre Dame helmets are gold saints helmets are gold. No analysis Needed

5. Landon Young: A+ Sean Payton does this when drafting, Sean Payton O line automatic MAXXX POTENTIAL

6. Kawaan Baker: A+ TQS 2.0 Not sure what thats a bad thing in 7th round because its not so A+ of course
Is that you, Sean Payton? :hihi:

What "immediate impact player" do you think was there at #28?

And, what makes you think Turner can't be an immediate impact player in the DE rotation and as an interior pass rusher on third down?

Even then, every player is a projection. That’s what the draft is, projecting the impact a college player can have in the NFL based on traits and then drafting and developing him.

Some guys are or at least appear to be easier projections than others.

Remember the OSU DE...Vernon Gholston?

Easy projection or so people thought...how’d he turn out?

it’s all a crap shoot

In 2016 the Saints selected two DTs :

First Round : Sheldon Rankins. Many people had him pegged as an impact player, and some people thought he'd be immediate impact player.

Fourth Round : David Onyemata. Project player.

One of them is still with the Saints contributing and one is not.

People like to think they know, but nobody does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom