KDF's POST DRAFT GRADES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I think I like the Payton Turner pick. It's too early to tell whether it was the right choice, but I see the logic and I see why the Saints would like him a lot - if you mashed up Cam Jordan and Davenport, you get Turner.

The cries of 'we could have got him later' is hugely pointless and quite probably erroneous.

I like the Werner pick, watched him in the playoffs and during the season, this guy is a baller, never far from the ball, sure tackler, impressed me against Alabama.
Werner impressed you vs Alabama??

He was constantly abused in that game. He looked horrible.

I like Jabril Cox and had it been me picking, I would have taken Cox over Werner, but I'm just some dude that knows how to sign up for a free message board account. But, here is what we know:

1. Cox has a bad shoulder. Recently had shoulder surgery and the medicals showed that it is the type of repair that may never heal fully. So, many teams, possibly the Saints, may have had a medical red flag on him. Payton mentioned that the major problem this year was that without the Combine, it was hard to get full medical information on players and if they didn't have the information they would not draft a player;

2. Cox went two rounds after Werner. So a lot of teams had a medical red flag on him or many teams agreed with the Saints' evaluation of him.

With this information, it's fairly obvious why the Saints didn't draft him. After moving on from the Glass Thor and trading for a injury prone very good LB to only get injured and miss the most important part of the season, I can see why they'd shy away from a player who has a bum shoulder.

In 2016 the Saints selected two DTs :

First Round : Sheldon Rankins. Many people had him pegged as an impact player, and some people thought he'd be immediate impact player.

Fourth Round : David Onyemata. Project player.

One of them is still with the Saints contributing and one is not.

People like to think they know, but nobody does.

Great point here....you may think you know but you'll never know (the guy that said this actually didn't know either).....

I like Jabril Cox and had it been me picking, I would have taken Cox over Werner, but I'm just some dude that knows how to sign up for a free message board account. But, here is what we know:

1. Cox has a bad shoulder. Recently had shoulder surgery and the medicals showed that it is the type of repair that may never heal fully. So, many teams, possibly the Saints, may have had a medical red flag on him. Payton mentioned that the major problem this year was that without the Combine, it was hard to get full medical information on players and if they didn't have the information they would not draft a player;

2. Cox went two rounds after Werner. So a lot of teams had a medical red flag on him or many teams agreed with the Saints' evaluation of him.

A scout calls Cox a poor man's Werner so what do I know

I absolutely love grading drafts a day or two after the draft when these guys haven't even stepped foot on an NFL field..come on people!!

First Round : Sheldon Rankins. Many people had him pegged as an impact player, and some people thought he'd be immediate impact player.

Unless Rankins contributed early and was set back by the injury bug, while Onye panned

Unless Rankins contributed early and was set back bt the injury bug, while Onye took his time and finally panned out in the best possible way for a project player. See, this is exactly where you want to draft immediate starters and projects: 1st, and 4th

Okay the draft is finally over and now we can focus on the release of the NFL schedule then training camp. BTW shout out to the Carolina Panthers and their A+ draft. And now on to the grades:

1. Payton Turner: C- Marcus Davenport 2.0, we drafted what i hate the most in any player..........POTENTIAL!! I am hoping I'm wrong about him, I actually spent some more time researching him some more today and I came up with the same conclusion, we could have had him in the late 2nd round.

2. Pete Werner: B- Scott Shanle 2.0, nothing wrong with this pick except we could have gotten him lower, he is smart, good tackler, and rarely out of position. Just don't expect anything more than average and you won't be disappointed. Not the sideline to sideline backer I wanted. But Meh. Average.

3. Paulson Adebo: B+ I love the pick. Good but not great speed for a CB, enough twitch in his hips for the position, and a ballhawk. I knew the Saints were going to gift Kris Richard for coming over and now they have. Now finish this story off and go sign Richard Sherman.

4. Ian Book: C- Don't understand this pick one bit, but I can say this about every pick except Adebo. Not a fan of his arm strength, his balls float, and he has a tendency to just take off after going through his reads (something that he can teach Taysom Hill to do). If we drafted him with the intentions of him never starting and just holding a clipboard then B+ if we did expecting anything more shame on you.

5. Landon Young: B+ I like this pick alot. Some teams have a knack at drafting a certain position and getting it right everytime, when it comes to OL there is no one better than the Saints. This is a massive man that is not going to be asked to start or play right away and will get to learn from some of the best in the game. Awesome selection, Awesome pick. Go get'em big fella.

6. Kawaan Baker: C Meh. TQS 2.0, this a recurring theme. Ran a nice 40 at 4.43, when i watched his tape, I guessed 4.44. He played against subpar competition and put up subpar numbers......soooooo....Dollar store version TQS. I would have rather we drafted the Guard from Grambling. He is no threat to any WR currently on the roster, he is just TQS replacement when he leaves next offseason.
I would agree on paper this looks like a suspect draft but as stated before I do not claim to know anything close to what CSP and JI do. I think some were hoping for a few high profile picks to ease the Drew retirement and get the fanbase excited. That didn't happen but remember we haven't seen these guys play yet and there was a reason we were missing out on players...we've been pretty good the last 4 years hence drafting near the end of each round. Maybe we could have gotten better players than what we got or gotten our guys later. You just don't know.

I'll leave that work up to the experts who do this for a living not the national media most of which wouldn't know how to scout if their lives depended on it.

The problem is that it was a first-round pick.

First-round draft picks should be used for STARTERS who should have immediate impact. Cam Jordan is still playing, and most puzzling of all, they just picked up Davenport's option. DE should not have been the position for our first pick, and definitely not for a guy who wasn't even the best DE on the board at the time.

Potential is fine for later rounds, and had we picked Turner in Round 2 or 3, I'd be happy as a clam. But you get one or two shots every year at getting an immediate impact player, and in my opinion, sacrificed that for a largely unproven guy who's not going to unseat the players we already have starting this year.
Yep because last years MVP didn't sit on the bench for a year after being drafted in the first round. That's right he sat on the bench for 3 years. Planing for future years is wise, especially when you have a hall of fame potential player for that rookie to learn from, even if the veteran doesn't want to teach him

In the end, we're all just expressing our opinions, we won't know if we were right for a few years. We're all Saints fans.

Rankins isn’t on the team, because the Saints couldn’t afford him. Not because he was outperformed by a fourth round pick.

Okay the draft is finally over and now we can focus on the release of the NFL schedule then training camp. BTW shout out to the Carolina Panthers and their A+ draft. And now on to the grades:

1. Payton Turner: C- Marcus Davenport 2.0, we drafted what i hate the most in any player..........POTENTIAL!! I am hoping I'm wrong about him, I actually spent some more time researching him some more today and I came up with the same conclusion, we could have had him in the late 2nd round.

2. Pete Werner: B- Scott Shanle 2.0, nothing wrong with this pick except we could have gotten him lower, he is smart, good tackler, and rarely out of position. Just don't expect anything more than average and you won't be disappointed. Not the sideline to sideline backer I wanted. But Meh. Average.

3. Paulson Adebo: B+ I love the pick. Good but not great speed for a CB, enough twitch in his hips for the position, and a ballhawk. I knew the Saints were going to gift Kris Richard for coming over and now they have. Now finish this story off and go sign Richard Sherman.

4. Ian Book: C- Don't understand this pick one bit, but I can say this about every pick except Adebo. Not a fan of his arm strength, his balls float, and he has a tendency to just take off after going through his reads (something that he can teach Taysom Hill to do). If we drafted him with the intentions of him never starting and just holding a clipboard then B+ if we did expecting anything more shame on you.

5. Landon Young: B+ I like this pick alot. Some teams have a knack at drafting a certain position and getting it right everytime, when it comes to OL there is no one better than the Saints. This is a massive man that is not going to be asked to start or play right away and will get to learn from some of the best in the game. Awesome selection, Awesome pick. Go get'em big fella.

6. Kawaan Baker: C Meh. TQS 2.0, this a recurring theme. Ran a nice 40 at 4.43, when i watched his tape, I guessed 4.44. He played against subpar competition and put up subpar numbers......soooooo....Dollar store version TQS. I would have rather we drafted the Guard from Grambling. He is no threat to any WR currently on the roster, he is just TQS replacement when he leaves next offseason.

Rankins isn’t on the team, because the Saints couldn’t afford him. Not because he was outperformed by a fourth round pick.
They could have kept Rankins in they wanted to. He signed a cheaper contract then Onyemata. They knew Rankins contract was coming up and could have planned for it by simply not signing Onyemata. They choose Onyemata over him.

People keep talking about how we could've drafted a player later in the draft. How do you know that? I'm honestly curious. Ya'll say it like it's just a matter of fact, something that should be obvious to anyone.

How do you know we could've drafted Turner in the late 2nd round? How do you know we could've drafted Werner later in the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom