Keenan Lewis goes back to Pittsburgh (available reports only indicate interest from the Steelers, among other teams - edited) (1 Viewer)

My best friend's a Steelers fan, he'll be ecstatic. This is exactly what he wanted to happen the moment he heard we dumped KL.

I've got nothing but respect for KL! He was a shutdown corner for us, reliable, and usually the best player on the defense. When he went down, the entire defense took a big hit. I was looking forward to his healthy return and having a pair of lockdown corners, so I was as shocked as anyone to see his release...bummed even. But we've gotta remember a few things:

1. he was still under contract
2. for a reasonable cornerback salary
3. he's still relatively young
4. this team is still cautious about releasing veteran leaders

So, IMO, KL has "trade value" on paper. The fact that he was outright released tells me there's more going on behind the curtain than a bunch of rookies outplaying him in training camp. You don't just release starter-quality players in this league simply because they're not the new coach's "guy". If they're not the "guy", but they're starter quality, you trade 'em for something....anything...another UDFA prospect, a 7th rounder 2 years from now...something! If you release outright (given the list above), you don't believe they're starters anymore...maybe not ever.

So I see one of two most likely scenarios. The combination of KLs injury and subsequent recovery, as well as the rising level of play of a slew of DBs have likely relegated KL to the role of a 3rd CB or even the bench. We know that KL is a competitor and this would NOT sit well with him. Considering the great efforts the team has expended on rebuilding locker room chemistry, perhaps they thought it wise to avoid this situation outright and release KL.

The second possibility, IMO, is that the hip injury is much worse than reported. This is a big deal to a CB. Perhaps the Saints believe this injury will prevent KL from ever regaining his lockdown CB status; and with the experience of Jairus Byrd fresh in their minds, they decided to cut their losses with KL while the contract was affordable.

Keenan was a warrior for the Saints, so I'm hoping the former scenario is the correct one. That is the scenario that is a win-win for the Saints and for KL. As long as he goes to an AFC team, where he'll only get the opportunity to torment us once every 4 years, I hope he regains his previous status and extends his career. I want to thank him for his stellar play in NO and wish him good luck in regaining that form!

All I can find in the news is that he is visiting the Steelers. Jets also interested.

Well we probably won't see him this week, but we could see him in the Super Bowl. Good luck 'til then!

I've got nothing but respect for KL! He was a shutdown corner for us, reliable, and usually the best player on the defense. When he went down, the entire defense took a big hit. I was looking forward to his healthy return and having a pair of lockdown corners, so I was as shocked as anyone to see his release...bummed even. But we've gotta remember a few things:

So, IMO, KL has "trade value" on paper. The fact that he was outright released tells me there's more going on behind the curtain than a bunch of rookies outplaying him in training camp. You don't just release starter-quality players in this league simply because they're not the new coach's "guy". If they're not the "guy", but they're starter quality, you trade 'em for something....anything...another UDFA prospect, a 7th rounder 2 years from now...something! If you release outright (given the list above), you don't believe they're starters anymore...maybe not ever.

So I see one of two most likely scenarios. The combination of KLs injury and subsequent recovery, as well as the rising level of play of a slew of DBs have likely relegated KL to the role of a 3rd CB or even the bench. We know that KL is a competitor and this would NOT sit well with him. Considering the great efforts the team has expended on rebuilding locker room chemistry, perhaps they thought it wise to avoid this situation outright and release KL.

The second possibility, IMO, is that the hip injury is much worse than reported. This is a big deal to a CB. Perhaps the Saints believe this injury will prevent KL from ever regaining his lockdown CB status; and with the experience of Jairus Byrd fresh in their minds, they decided to cut their losses with KL while the contract was affordable.

Keenan was a warrior for the Saints, so I'm hoping the former scenario is the correct one. That is the scenario that is a win-win for the Saints and for KL. As long as he goes to an AFC team, where he'll only get the opportunity to torment us once every 4 years, I hope he regains his previous status and extends his career. I want to thank him for his stellar play in NO and wish him good luck in regaining that form!

It sounds more like Mr. Hyde:

Keenan basically played one season for the Saints, which was 2013. After that, there's not much tape wise to evaluate Keenan as a shutdown corner much less a viable option. Add in the fact we had the worst secondary in 2014 and 2015, which anyone outside the Saints will associate Keenan with that L. For these reasons, Keenan was grossly overpaid and his contract was fully guaranteed. So, we're talking about a 30 year old player oft injured, hasn't played consistent ball since 2013, and has a high fully guaranteed contract. I don't think many GM's would come banging on the door looking to trade for Keenan.

It's simple. He didn't buy in.

We've heard a lot about the secondary's chemistry building (and d-line) this off season. We've heard about Breaux taking the new guys in under his wing and the db's really engaging with Allen and Glenn.

We've heard all about that, except for the fact that Lewis has been missing from all of those stories. Lewis was never high on being a leader on this team. There were even interviews from 2014 where he said he'd have to step up and start becoming a leader. Then enter Breaux in 2015 who quickly became a vocal leader.

I think Lewis felt like an outsider and I think it's true, when Rob was let go he thought he was on the hot seat, which is why he panicked on instagram about a gaurenteed contract.

I'm sure the front office wasn't happy about that, but what choice did they have at the time? Now our youngsters are buying into the system that Allen has put in place, and they are thriving.

He quickly became expendable at that point in time.

Yeah what's with the title? I just texted my Steelers fan buddy the "good news", he thinks I'm an idiot now lol. Remind me in the future to never just take a thread title/OP on SR as confirmed news...

I definitely think there's more than what we know. If the whole release is behind an injury,then Byrd should have been gone a long time ago.

I do find it strange that over the past two years, the Saints have let go of some good talent, and most of them had bad things to say about the organization. One good thing that I give Keenan is that he encouraged all the DBs to keep going and remain positive. That's pure class.

You never know. Maybe it is also still some lingering bad chemistry from 2014. Maybe he doesn't get along with DA or Aaron Glenn. Maybe he is hurt worse than he let on or just the opposite and refused to get on the field. If he is dogging it, I could see why the coaching staff would want him gone. We may never know the full truth.

If he does get signed by Pittsburgh or some other team and goes on to play early in the season, then we may have more insight into the whole mess. Stay tuned.

Just heard he signed with them today...truly happy for him.

You heard?? Is there a link to confirmation? From what I read so far, there are multiple teams interested in him and Steelers are one of those team hosting him. But no signing yet or any confirmation of signing yet. Not to say your post is untrue, but would like to know where you get your information from.

It's simple. He didn't buy in.

We've heard a lot about the secondary's chemistry building (and d-line) this off season. We've heard about Breaux taking the new guys in under his wing and the db's really engaging with Allen and Glenn.

We've heard all about that, except for the fact that Lewis has been missing from all of those stories. Lewis was never high on being a leader on this team. There were even interviews from 2014 where he said he'd have to step up and start becoming a leader. Then enter Breaux in 2015 who quickly became a vocal leader.

I think Lewis felt like an outsider and I think it's true, when Rob was let go he thought he was on the hot seat, which is why he panicked on instagram about a gaurenteed contract.

I'm sure the front office wasn't happy about that, but what choice did they have at the time? Now our youngsters are buying into the system that Allen has put in place, and they are thriving.

He quickly became expendable at that point in time.
I don't know how true any of that is, but I bought it hook, line and sinker.

Do you have any Ocean Front property in Arizona you'd like to sell to me?

You never know. Maybe it is also still some lingering bad chemistry from 2014. Maybe he doesn't get along with DA or Aaron Glenn. Maybe he is hurt worse than he let on or just the opposite and refused to get on the field. If he is dogging it, I could see why the coaching staff would want him gone. We may never know the full truth.

If he does get signed by Pittsburgh or some other team and goes on to play early in the season, then we may have more insight into the whole mess. Stay tuned.

He's already said he didn't get along with from back before he joined the Saints. According to Lewis, Allen told him he didn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL (paraphrasing) it was probably just trying to motivate him and his first couple of years he couldn't get on the field. What ever the reason Aleen had it stuck with Lewis and he has never been able to let it go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom