Keep detecting a rootkit (please help) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have avast and a while back it was upgrading to a newer version. Ever since then it keeps detecting a rootkit almost everytime I first log on. I don't know if something with avast caused this but I wanted to uninstall it but then I would have no virus scan whatsoever. When avast detects it I just tell it to delete it and I restart. Almost everytime I restart it locks up before I can run a scan and see if it is still there. Please help i have no idea what to do.

Edit: I don't know if this helps but it detects the rootkit in this windows folder

C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ATWPKT2.SYS

A hacker security tool that captures passwords and message traffic to and from a computer. A collection of tools that allows a hacker to provide a backdoor into a system, collect information on other systems on the network, mask the fact that the system is compromised, and much more. Rootkit is a classic example of Trojan Horse software. Rootkit is available for a wide range of operating systems.

From what I understand, it is safer just to reformat and install the OS back onto the system when you have a rootkit

From what I understand, it is safer just to reformat and install the OS back onto the system when you have a rootkit

Pretty much is the only way to be certain you've eliminated the threat. I've heard Microsoft support recommends to wipe a workstation if it is infected. Also, be very careful if you remove any files from the system as they can carry the infection back to the PC.

Have you tried to run the anti-virus from safemode? Many nasties will load at boot via registry, have hidden files, and have protection schemes that stop anti-virus from finding them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom